Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Recovering from disorder
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:38 pm 
I've noticed the number of disordered units attempting to recover form disorder does not match the number of my units disordered.

What are the criteria to attempt to recover from disorder? I am beginning to wonder if being adjacent to an enemy unit or moved or firing, etc prevents recovery from disorder attempts.

Would someone point me in the right direction for the conditions to recover from disorder.

Danke schone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:59 pm 
The only things that I know of that would make a unit uneligible for undisordering is being in covered terrain such as woods, marsh, town hexes, or being stacked with a unit of different formation (such as infantry in line with infantry in column, infantry with cavalry).

In other words, a unit doesn't undisorder under conditions where it would disorder. Sounds logical enough, come to think about it, doesn't it? [;)]

<center>Général de Division D.S. "Green Horse" Walter
Baron d'Empire, Duc des Pyramides
Commandant de la [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/3_VI_AdR_Home.htm"]3ème Division[/url], VIème Corps Bavarois, L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant l'Ecole de Mars, L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant de la Brigade de Tirailleurs de la Jeune Garde
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:59 pm 
BTW Could you post your rank, name and unit? It's sort of customary in the club.

Commandant de la [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/3_VI_AdR_Home.htm"]3ème Division[/url], VIème Corps Bavarois, L'Armée du Rhin
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:06 pm 

Herr Jagger!

Re-order occurs at the start of your Turn. Units that were disordered by enemy action in their Offensive phase, are not able to re-order in the next turn, they must wait until the turn after.

If this were not the case, there would be no value to the Disorder caused by fire / melee, as the units could recover from disorder before it ever affected any of their actions.

Follow through the sequence of phases and you will see what I mean

Mark
VII Corps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:45 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D.S. Walter</i>
<br />In other words, a unit doesn't undisorder under conditions where it would disorder. Sounds logical enough, come to think about it, doesn't it? [;)]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes it sounds logical but I sometimes wonder if units should be able to undisorder in cover terrain. After all, a battalion can change from column to line in village or woods without disordering. So why shouldn't a disordered line be able to form a more ordered line in the same terrain, with perhaps a lower probability of success to reflect the time it would take? It sounds simpler than changing formation. It's surely the moving in that terrain that causes disorder, not just being in it. Just a thought.

<font color="gold">Major Antony Barlow
CO, 2nd British (Union) Brigade, Anglo-Allied Cavalry Corps.
Guards: 4th (Royal Irish) Dragoon Guards.</font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:48 am 

Anthony

Good question, that never occurred to me, and you are right, it makes no sense.

Mark
VII Corps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:19 am 
It's only so in the Nappy games btw. In the ACW and EAW games a unit can reorder in disruption terrain.

Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:24 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D.S. Walter</i>
<br />It's only so in the Nappy games btw. In the ACW and EAW games a unit can reorder in disruption terrain.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Indeed, and it's a good job too as there are vast areas of forest in some of those games, and some units would otherwise never be able to reform.

<font color="gold">Major Antony Barlow
CO, 2nd British (Union) Brigade, Anglo-Allied Cavalry Corps.
Guards: 4th (Royal Irish) Dragoon Guards.</font id="gold">