Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: NIR map editing
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:39 am 
I looked at the files in the BD folder in NIR and realized that if I knew the code I could make my own maps. The artwork would be the main problem, but its possible. Has anyone else tried this? I understand most of the code, but cliffs and roads I dont understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:45 am 

Many people have made a great many maps to one degree or another. I suspect that maps are now available, in some cases only in 2D, for every significant action from the Napoleonic wars.

Making maps is fairly straightforward but hugely time consuming - if you want to do a good job.

Many maps are made using East Front as a starting point as it has a map editor. This creates your 2D map and with a conversion programme the main.map file is converted to be suitable for use with the Napoleonic games. There is a tool to generate the main.los file from the main.map file.

The 3D maps are a little harder as the East Front map is a different csale and needs to be copied and pasted, screen-shot by screen shot into a suitable graphics package, stitched back together, and re-sized.

This link will take you to a site where the process is described in more detail.

Be aware that, when I say that it can be time consuming, th emap I am currently working on, I started in August 2004 and have probably got 3-6 months more work before it is completed and all of the map files generated [:0]

But that depends on the level of detail you want to put into your map.

http://nhwc.20m.com/maps/mapmaking/cartography.htm

Regards

Mark
VII Corps