Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Indirect Artillery
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:54 am 

Since I am new here, perhaps this is something that has been addressed in the past, but I will inquire anyway.
There is an upgrade to the HPS 1812 game that allows for larger artillery (12pounders & larger) to be fired indirectly. It is so very handy to be able to lob shots over hills, towns, and trees, even if you can't see the target. After all, that is the whole purpose of a howizter, to lob bombs into your lap when you think you are safely covered. Has there been any patch similarly made that can be applied to the Battleground games? If so, where does one find it? If not, does anyone there know how to create one?

Willie D
SGT, USA, Retired
I may be an adult,
but I REFUSE to grow up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:57 am 

No such patch for the Battleground games. Ranges can be adjusted for weapons but ability to shoot over (through) terrain probably requires a change to the game engine, so...

unless yuo can get inside that and work it out ...

Mark
VII Corps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:35 am 

I did not realize that there was such an upgrade to the HPS games. Which patch is this on??

When you say the "1812" game, do you mean the Napoleon's Russian Campaign game or the War of 1812 game?

Can't this upgrade be applied to ALL HPS Napoleonic games? Thanks.

Lt. Tim Cavallin, AdR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:36 am 

At the moment, indirect fire is only really in the EAW series. It's sort of half present in the ACW series - gunboats can use indirect fire, but I don't think howitzers can! I too would very much like to see it carried over into the Nappy series as well. Hopefully we'll see it sometime soon.

Capt Rich White
4th Cavalry Brigade
Cavalry Corps
Anglo-Allied Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:59 am 

Hm, I'd have to look, but I thought the Froggies had some indirect batteries on Lobau Island in the 2 Days at Wagram scn...

ETA: No, it doesn't look like that...
[8)]

FML Gary McClellan
Generalissimus
Imperial Austrian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:42 am 

Howitzers <b>were</b> the only guns on "our" battlefields that could and did use indirect fire. The French for instance would purposely put them in low points to fire on troops and villages (to set them on fire.)

See page 140 of Kevin F. Kiley's "Artillery of the Napoleonic Wars, 1792-1815"

<font color="orange"><b>"When necessary, howitzers were massed for special missions, at Borodino, where they lobbed shells into the Russian field works, and at Waterloo, where they were massed against Hougoumont on the British right flank. They were also massed at Dresden against a fortified ground so that only the heads of the gun crews were visible. One Russian artillery commander was faced with this situation, but could not fire at them, as their <i>licornes</i> were unable to elevate to a sufficient degree to fire into the depression."</b></font id="orange">

Cheers,
Rick

<center>Lieutenant Rick Motko
1er Bataillon, 33° Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne
2eme Brigade, 11eme division
IIIe corps, Armée du Nord</center>