Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:55 pm 

Paco and I met up in Worcester, MASS, USA today. Two old cuirassiers made a charge on the Sole Proprieter, a fine eating establishment.

The trout was great!

We had a grand time and enjoyed discussing all things New England, Napoleonics and other items of historical interest.

I then went to the Higgins Armory in town. A nice museum that has the largest collection of suits of armor in the US. Got quite a few pics to put up on the web when I get time.

Big item of interest: they had a complete French Carabinier set of breast/backplates and helmet from the post Napoleonic time period. Very close to that worn by the Carabiniers of 1812. I will definitely post that pic for those here that are interested in seeing it in all of its glory. A very nice display.

Then went to the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield. Definitely worth the drive for you sports fans.

Oberst Wilhelm Peters
2nd Kuirassiers, Reserve Korps, Austrian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:52 pm 

Higgins Armory, great place, and all of two miles from my house.

Will try and catch you before you escape New England.

Jeff Bardon
Duc de Castiglione
Prince de Wagram
Commandant de la Vieille Garde
Marechal de France
CiC- La Grande Armee

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:58 pm 

Mssrs.,

The real "charger" is Herr Peters. He began the day in Portland, Maine, traveled to Worcester (roughly 150 miles), then off to Springfield, MA (55 miles), and was last seen heading to Chatham in Cape Cod by way of Connecticut (200 miles) while mumbling something about spending the night in Providence, Rhode Island (tack on another 80 miles or so)[:0]!

I'm exhausted just thinking about all that driving in one day[:p] ...

Thanks for stopping by Bill, it was great to meet you at last[8D].

Regards,

Paco

<i>Maréchal</i> M. Francisco Palomo
<i>Comte de Marseille
Duc d'Abrantes</i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:02 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by paco</i>
<br />Mssrs.,

The real "charger" is Herr Peters. He began the day in Portland, Maine, traveled to Worcester (roughly 150 miles), then off to Springfield, MA (55 miles), and was last seen heading to Chatham in Cape Cod by way of Connecticut (200 miles) while mumbling something about spending the night in Providence, Rhode Island (tack on another 80 miles or so)[:0]!

I'm exhausted just thinking about all that driving in one day[:p] ...

Thanks for stopping by Bill, it was great to meet you at last[8D].

Regards,

Paco

<i>Comte de Marseille
Duc d'Abrantes</i>
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I didnt make Chatham last night. It was going to be too dark by the time I got there.

I do highly recommend the Connecticut countryside. I took highway 32, 44, etc for most of my way from Springfield to Providence.

I highly recommend NOT driving on highway 6 as it goes thru downtown Providence. Those folks are armed with bazookas and drive like idiots. The road is the worst in terms of turning and winding for a road that is rated 55 that I have driven on since I arrived.

In summary: the road thru Providence stinks. Its a wonder that anyone survives the journey and I am making a mental note to avoid it if I ever come this way again.

Take surface streets or find an alternate route. It was just plain horror.

Sort of like having to receive one of Paco's cavalry charges!

Paco: you should come with me sometime I knock off 780 miles while driving in the West! This was a tea party yesterday as it concerns distance. The big difference in the West is the open range and scenary.

Well, off to Cape Cod and Chatham. Should be seeing the CONN coast today as well as Long Island in the evening.

Oberst Wilhelm Peters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:46 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
I highly recommend NOT driving on highway 6 as it goes thru downtown Providence. Those folks are armed with bazookas and drive like idiots. The road is the worst in terms of turning and winding for a road that is rated 55 that I have driven on since I arrived.
Sort of like having to receive one of Paco's cavalry charges!

Bill,

You've just discovered the genesis of my cavalry charges[:p]! If you think Providence is bad, you better not try driving in Boston[:D].

Regards,

Paco

<i>Comte de Marseille
Duc d'Abrantes</i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:00 am 

Bill:

Too bad you did't kidnap Paco and Bardon and stuff them in your car and drive them down to TillerCon. I don't think they would have pressed charges. [:D] See you in Richmond. [8D]

FM Sir 'Muddy' Jones, KG
2nd Life Guards, Household Cavalry
CO, Cavalry Corps
Allied CiC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:16 pm 

Paco - sorry but did Boston last year - flew in one night - drove to Lexington arriving at hotel at midnight after having gotten on highway 1 by accident but just enjoyed the drive and didnt get stressed.

On Wednesday night I took leave of New England and just for fun drove into New York city via 95 and got off in the Bronx. It was about 9pm and still plenty of folks on the street. Really enjoyed racing around the town with the cabbies. They are great and just seem to have a built in radar for avoiding bumpers! Exited lower Manhattan via the Brooklyn Battery tunnel and then took Varraizano (sp) bridge over to Joysee. Arrived in Allentown PA at about 1am. Really enjoyed NYC and dying to go back. Combat driving is fun when you know the rules.

Ken - Paco is 6'3" and doesnt fit in trunk. Think that Jeff would protest as well trying to fit in trunk with the tall guy!

Oberst Wilhelm Peters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:33 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
<br />
Ken - Paco is 6'3" and doesnt fit in trunk. Think that Jeff would protest as well trying to fit in trunk with the tall guy!

Oberst Wilhelm Peters

That would be extremely tough as I am 6' 5".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:02 am 

Wouldn't be so bad, except that Bill drives a Yugo [:I]

FML Gary McClellan
Generalissimus
Imperial Austrian Army