Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:57 pm 

Lately I'm playing a training game on the French side at the battle of Teugn-Haussen(?) and noticed a weird bug. As you might have already known, the French has some skirmishers sitting inside the wood on the right hand side. After their mother brigades showed up, I merged all of them together so that some of the units had over 100% strength and ended my turn. Everything was normal until I got my file back. After I've opened the file I noticed all the brigades which had over 100% returned to 100%, which means all my skirmishers were gone! I'm wondering what causes it? Is it due to a bug or a hidden value of deserters?

please help!

Chef de bataillon Ranson Lee
4ème Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne
7ème Division d'Infanterie
IIèmé Corps d'Armee Nord

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:17 am 

If I understand the question correctly, the skirmishers were already detached when the scenario started. Assuming this is the case then it was an erroneous setup in the scenario.
In the OOB, each unit has a given maximum strength, let us say 500.
When designing a scenario the parent unit is on the board, at full strength. The skirmisher's are then detached, let us say 75 men, leaving the parent unit with 425. With the scenario editor the strength of the parent unit can then be bumped up again, back to 500. You now have 575 men split between two "units". Since neither exceeds 500, at worst it will only say there is a duplicate unit. Now you start the game. You still have in excess of the strength listed in the OOB, so even though the skirmishers return to the parent unit, the OOB still shows a strength of only 500. The game will not allow for strength above that which is listed in the OOB. Consequently when recombined, your "extras" are lost.

Cadet William Davis
Royal Military Academy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:26 am 

Yes those skirmishers are there right at the beginning of the senario. So is it a bug? It's totally realistic and reasonable for them to rejoin their mother brigades.

IIèmé Corps d'Armee Nord

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:13 am 

It do not believe it is a bug. Check the full strength of the parent unit. If the total strength of both the skirmishers and the parent unit exceeds the total strength of the parent unit alone, once you join them together, the extras will be lost. That is what it sounds like. If in fact the combined total is still equal to or less than the maximum strength of the parent unit, then maybe there is a bug. Check your strength levels first.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ranzzzz</i>
<br />Yes those skirmishers are there right at the beginning of the senario. So is it a bug? It's totally realistic and reasonable for them to rejoin their mother brigades.

IIèmé Corps d'Armee Nord
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Cadet William Davis
Royal Military Academy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:35 am 

Yes the strength was over 100% after they have merged.

IIèmé Corps d'Armee Nord

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:58 am 

To get this fixed send the name of the scenario to Rich Hamilton via the support email. He forwards it to me and then I look it over.

ALL requests for checks on our games should go this route.

I will no longer be answering questions concerning our games on the forums. I will need to get something from Rich before I take action.

I will always need to know the version of the game you are using as well as the filename of the scenario you are playing for questions like this.

For other issues send us a .bte file with password or the .cpf file for the game if a wierd game engine thing occurs.

Wont do anything on the games unless I get it through HPS support from now on.

Oberst Wilhelm Peters
2nd Kuirassiers, Reserve Korps, Austrian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:52 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
<br />
(...)

Wont do anything on the games unless I get it through HPS support from now on.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I agree.... 2498 posts are more than enough! [;)]

[url="mailto:pyguinard@hotmail.com"]Chef de Bataillon Py Guinard[/url],
6e Division, II Corp
AdN