Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:12 am 

...on the good guys' side?

See http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/trafalgarancestors/

<center>Major Antony Barlow
~ 2nd British (Union) Brigade, Anglo-Allied Cavalry Corps ~
~ 4th (Royal Irish) Dragoon Guards ~
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:53 am 

Neat link...

Is there something similar for the Army on both sides ( French and allied )

Marechal John Corbin
Chief of Staff
La Grande Armee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:20 am 

On the good guy's side? That means the French right? [;)][:D][}:)]

Maréchal Tony R.Malone, Comte d'Auvergne et Duc de Vauchamps: Division d'Infanterie de la Moyenne Garde; CDR III Corps Armee Du Nord
"The Guard may die, But it never surrenders".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:36 am 

Well, there are seven Richard White's listed, but because of their place of origin, I suspect it's more likely I'm related to one (or maybe both) of the two Thomas Whites from Somerset or possibly the George White from Bristol, although Thomas is more of a family name. However, two of the Richard Whites (the marines) don't have a place of birth listed, so I could be related to either of them. Unfortunately, the name's so common it wouldn't be easy to trace.

On my mother's side, I could well be related to the James Street from the Isle of Wight.

Capt Rich White
4th Cavalry Brigade
Cavalry Corps
Anglo-Allied Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:21 am 
I would be quite surprised to learn that one of my ancestors should have been there.

Stalingrad more likely. [:D]

<center>Général de Division D.S. "Green Horse" Walter
Baron d'Empire, Duc des Pyramides
Commandant de la [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/3_VI_AdR_Home.htm"]3ème Division[/url], VIème Corps Bavarois, L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant l'Ecole de Mars, L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant de la Brigade de Tirailleurs de la Jeune Garde
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:00 am 

My mother's father, Bertram Frederick Street, was born on Trafalgar Day 1887 and took part in the ill-fated Mesopotamian campaign during the Great War. He was besieged at Kut, captured by the Turks and spent the rest of the war as a POW. He was too old for active service in WW2, but served as a fireman instead. He died in 1976. I remember him with one eye and one leg, but these weren't the result of war wounds - as I used to believe as a child - but due to hardening of the arteries in old age.

My maternal grandmother's father, Edward Fitzgerald (alias Fitz) was an artillery sergeant during the Boer war and was wounded in the head at Modder River. He died in 1936.

My father's father, Tom White, 1916-74, served in the 5th Survey Regiment, RA during WW2. He was probably responsible for inspiring my interest in wargaming as a child.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:53 am 

Just out of curiosity I did a search under Davis, and came up with 6 pages of names. I know my Davis ancestry came to the U.S. long before the War of Independence, so other than some possible distant cousins, would not have been involved at Trafalgar, at least on the English side. My paternal grandmother, on the other hand, is Spanish, having been born in Madrid and emigrated to the U.S. via Dominican Republic and Cuba around 1910-1920. One can only wonder if there might have been a relative from Spain hopping about the deck on the bad guy's side.

Cadet William Davis
Royal Military Academy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:02 am 

What a fantastic site.

Thanks for the link Anthony.

One Londoner named Eason, and a liberal dose of Pierce's from Ireland. Both lines could have potential.

Wish I had time to pursue it further

Regards

Mark
VII Corps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:17 am 

I found some Barlows at Trafalgar but I don't know if they are related to my branch of the family. I found a Sylvester (my mother's maiden name) but he was Portugese. I did however find some O'Sullivans (another big name on my family tree) who come from exactly the small remote place (Bantry Bay, Cork) where my ancestors came from and are almost certainly related.

Imagine the fun to be had in the future when/if ALL historic archives are digitised and searchable online. My wife has found her ancestors in the 65th regiment that fought in the New Zealand Maori Wars (mid 19c) but that took some detective work and contacting regimental archives. I've spotted one or two relatives in the Commonwealth War Graves Commission database too (one died near Arnhem 1944) and I've seen records detailing my grandfathers' WWII service (one in the army in the far east and the other in the navy in the Mediterranean). We all have history in our blood in one way or another. Fascinating...

<center>Major Antony Barlow
~ 2nd British (Union) Brigade, Anglo-Allied Cavalry Corps ~
~ 4th (Royal Irish) Dragoon Guards ~
Image</center>