Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: HPS Question
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:56 am 

Is it possible for two units in different formations to occupy the same hex and be undisrupted. For example a square and a line. I have an example and will forward it to Rich if it appears to be "a bug"

Marechal Bruce Hall
Comte d'Artois et Duc d'Arcole
Brigade de Lanciers de la Moyenne Garde,
CoS
L'armée du Rhin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:11 am 

Bruce,

Yes, a bug in the HPS engine allowed squares and lines to stack together without disordering either unit. The most recent patches for Campaign Eckmuhl and Campaign Wagram (Eck 1.08 & Wag 1.04) have corrected this problem, but it has yet to be fixed in NRC because no patch has been issued, fixing this and other issues, in over a year.

Regards,

Paco

<i>Maréchal</i> M. Francisco Palomo
<i>Comte de Marseille
Duc d'Abrantes</i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:37 am 

Thanks Paco
Yes it was NRC. Woner why it was not fixed in 1.04 patch[?]

Marechal Bruce Hall
Comte d'Artois et Duc d'Arcole
Brigade de Lanciers de la Moyenne Garde,
CoS
L'armée du Rhin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:25 am 
V1.04 was posted on HPS site 5/23/05. No indication that this bug was fixed, though:

Changes for Napoleon's Russian Campaign 1.04
- Fix for bridge movement bug.
- Added optional rule for No Op Fire Against Skirmishers.
- Added hot key "K" for toggling the display of Command Range.
- (Editor) Added ability to shift units on the map (see Hex Menu).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:06 am 

If you think about it, there is <font color="orange"><b>LOTS</b></font id="orange"> of room for a battalion in line with another in square inside our 100m hex -if one is in front of the other.

I admit that it isn't an orthodox set of formations, but I just don't see any reason why they would <u>have</u> to be disordered. Now, a square would disorder a unit in line if they moved <i>through</i> them. (Or vice-a-versa.) Otherwise the game is just abstracting one unit moving back a little within the hex so the other unit would fit.

In that sense, I don't really see <u>any</u> bug. The game is working just fine.

Rick

<center>Lieutenant Rick Motko
1er Bataillon, 33° Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne
2eme Brigade, 11eme division
IIIe corps, Armée du Nord</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:01 am 

You see the same thing in the BG games. It is most annoying. You cannot bring up a second unit without first changing them into the same formation. If the formation you want is line, then when you move the unit while in line formation, you risk disordering them. Alternately you have to have your unit in line change to column, bring up the second unit, then wait for the next def phase to change formation back to line. Then of course if one or the other unit is disordered you have a real mess. It does not do this when artillery units move in and out. They would be just as disruptive. It seems to me, given the amount of room in a hex, you should be able to have mixed formations.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Le Tondu</i>
<br />If you think about it, there is <font color="orange"><b>LOTS</b></font id="orange"> of room for a battalion in line with another in square inside our 100m hex -if one is in front of the other.

I admit that it isn't an orthodox set of formations, but I just don't see any reason why they would <u>have</u> to be disordered. Now, a square would disorder a unit in line if they moved <i>through</i> them. (Or vice-a-versa.) Otherwise the game is just abstracting one unit moving back a little within the hex so the other unit would fit.

In that sense, I don't really see <u>any</u> bug. The game is working just fine.

Rick

<center>Lieutenant Rick Motko
1er Bataillon, 33° Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne
2eme Brigade, 11eme division
IIIe corps, Armée du Nord</center>
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Cadet William Davis
Royal Military Academy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:19 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by WillieD13</i>
<br />You see the same thing in the BG games. It is most annoying. You cannot bring up a second unit without first changing them into the same formation. If the formation you want is line, then when you move the unit while in line formation, you risk disordering them. Alternately you have to have your unit in line change to column, bring up the second unit, then wait for the next def phase to change formation back to line. Then of course if one or the other unit is disordered you have a real mess. It does not do this when artillery units move in and out. They would be just as disruptive. It seems to me, given the amount of room in a hex, you should be able to have mixed formations.

Cadet William Davis
Royal Military Academy<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Simple solution is to play some games with line moevement restriction off. Therefore a formation change is only needed when crossing disruptable terrain.

Of course this give your opponent the same advantage too. But generally speaking in terms of BGW and PTW the French and Prussians wanna spend a good portion of time in close quarters in column due to the bonus in melee given while in column.

<center>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[url="http://www.scott-ludwig.com"]<b>Generallieutenant Scott Ludwig</b>[/url]

Kommandeur
3. Infanterie-Brigade and Aide-du-Camp
I. Armee Korps
Heer am Niederrhein
[url="http://www.prussianarmy.com"]Preußische Armee[/url]

Kommandeur
Garde-Artillerie
[url="http://scott-ludwig.com/NWC/Prussia/Garde.htm"]Preußische Armee Garde-Brigade[/url]

GroßHerzog von Saxe-Weimar
(Grand Duke of Saxe-Weimar)
</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:29 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gregg</i>
<br />V1.04 was posted on HPS site 5/23/05. No indication that this bug was fixed, though:

Changes for Napoleon's Russian Campaign 1.04
- Fix for bridge movement bug.
- Added optional rule for No Op Fire Against Skirmishers.
- Added hot key "K" for toggling the display of Command Range.
- (Editor) Added ability to shift units on the map (see Hex Menu).

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Guys,

I was not aware that the new NRC patch had been released. I have just applied the v. 1.04 NRC patch and it DOES solve the stacking bug[8D], they just didn't reference it in the "Changes" list.

Regards,

Paco

<i>Maréchal</i> M. Francisco Palomo
<i>Comte de Marseille
Duc d'Abrantes</i>