Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Strange goings on
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:30 pm 

I'm playing PTW 'Balanced games 1; PTW version' with Cadet Davis and over the last couple of turns, I've had a unit disappear off the map.

My opponent said there was a problem with his replay - which I've experienced before - but when I opened the file I found that a hex that previously contained two artillery units, now only had one.

The solution I thought, would be to go back a few turns and start over. Oddly, on opening the returned game file, the arty still isn't there - when it was the previous time we played the phase.

We've deleted all .pbem files. Any other ideas?

Cheers,

<font color="orange">Majoor Peter Robinson
Commander I Corps
[url="http://www.geocities.com/militaireacademie"]Koninklijke Militaire Academie[/url] Adjutant
3rd (Prince of Wales's) Dragoon Guards</font id="orange">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:13 pm 

I am assuming that both of you are fully patched ?

Is this the BG Prelude to Waterloo ? If it is, I recall that there was a special LOS patch that was put out....

Marechal John Corbin
Chief of Staff
La Grande Armee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:10 pm 

Peter

What is Balanced Games 1?

Is this a scenario that someone has created? And does it require a different main.oob file from the standard one?

I suggest you send each other a screen shot of the directory, so that you can check that all the core game files you are using are the same versions, and that you are both using the game file in the same directory.

Also as John says, go to Help menu, select About, and check that you are both patched to the same version of the game

Hope something here helps

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:13 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mark Eason</i>
<br />Also as John says, go to Help menu, select About, and check that you are both patched to the same version of the game<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Balanced games 1 is a top secret Allied training scenario. I could tell you about it, but unfortunately I'd have to kill you... It does use the standard oob so there shouldn't be any complications. It is also played in the TB directory so is not affected by Ligny .los.

I'm fairly sure we're using the same game version, but I'll check as you both suggest. Thanks.

Commander I Corps
[url="http://www.geocities.com/militaireacademie"]Koninklijke Militaire Academie[/url] Adjutant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:09 pm 

It turns out that I am running Version 2.03 while my opponent is on Version 2.04. Usually I'd assume that I should be upgrading, but I play PTW more than anything and have never had this problem before. What Version is everybody else on?

Commander I Corps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:51 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SansSouci</i>
<br />It turns out that I am running Version 2.03 while my opponent is on Version 2.04. Usually I'd assume that I should be upgrading, but I play PTW more than anything and have never had this problem before. What Version is everybody else on?

Commander I Corps
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Version 2.04 here

Marechal John Corbin
Chief of Staff
La Grande Armee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:25 am 

Hi Pete
Not sure how you got that version. Mine is 2.04. I thought that's what everybody had.

Generalissimo
Opolchenie Korpus
Russian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:06 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SansSouci</i><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Peter

I am on v. 2.04

I am sure this is at the root of the problem. I ma not sure how yo have managed to get to 2.03, since, as far as I was aware there was only one set of files for the 32-bit upgrade.

This may be a difference between the UK and US versions (which were different but presumably patched to the same version with the upgrade).

Let me know which game version you had, from the original CD, and what files were applied to the upgrade and I'll see if I can figure it out

Regards

Mark