Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: La Grande Armee
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:38 am 

Messieurs

What calamaty has befallen the legions on the Emperor?

The VIII Corps and IV Reserve Cavalry Corps disbanded! The I Corps relying on stragglers to make its Regiments up to combat strength!

Is the demise of the active officer an entirely French problem, or are the allied powers also afflicted. What can we do to reverse the trend? There is a wider range of options available out there for gaming within the Napoleonic period with BGW, HPS, NIR Project, TNW etc than ever before. I would have thought that the more Napoleonic titles available the greater the number of recruits signing up. Perhaps we are seeing greater numbers of recruits and the problem lies in the involvement of the newly commisioned officer within the club once they have left the company of thier training officer. Perhaps the Brigade Commander should immediately engage an officer newly assigned to him in a manouvre game to make them feel welcome?

Any thoughts?

<font color="gold">Général de Brigade Baron Greg Morgan, Comte de Gironde
2ème Brigade
3ème Division Cavalerie Légerè
IIIème Corps
l' Armée du Nord
</font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:45 pm 

VIII and IV Corps of the AdR had long been shells of corps. Very few active officers remained and no viable Corps commanders made themselves known. The solid officers of these 2 corps were transfered to units seeing active service against the enemies of France. The AdR and by extension LGA and the club are better for it.

<b>Général de Division Michael Cox</b>
<font size="4"><i>Principe <font size="1">della </font id="size1">Toscana</i></font id="size4">
Comte de Moselle
<i><font size="4">Armée du Rhin</font id="size4">
<font size="2">2e battallion, 1er Regiment de Chasseurs a Pied, Inf. de l'V. Gde.</i></font id="size2">

<font size="1"><u>In Regards to Skirmisher Flop by Melee Losers:</u>
<ul><li>Make it an optional rather than fixed rule (at the very least). </li>
<li>Skirmisher stack size relative to retreating formed unit should be a factor (whether in clear or covered terrain). </li>
<li>For skirmishers, (not leaders or wagons) covered terrain (swamp, building, city, town, forest, marsh, and perhaps orchard) should negate the overrun result.</li></font id="size1"> </ul>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:02 pm 

I think it is many facuets. But it is not uniquely a French thing as I know for sure. I think recruits are coming but it is hard to get them to stick sometimes. The French it is obvious a lot more than the Allies, but it was also published too. I mean some Allied forces have been slashed up to three times now. The Prussians closed down one ArmeeKorps before I got there so we are operating with just about a full one now. But even so our muster may show some weak spots.

All in all I don't think Napoleonic's is as popular as say the US Civil War. Also in a market where more and more gamers, whom are younger people usually, are going for first person shooters etc, etc it becomes harder and harder to keep up. I think too not having any games present inside major retail chains has something to do with it, because I bought all of my Talonsoft games in stores and so that attributed to me coming here. So I think that drives recruitment down.

I know in our other club we are really dry on recruits as you guys here have a monoply on the market well, not to say we are competing, often I think we compliment each other nicely, but I can see that with both the French and the Allies the hay days are a little slow now and some fresh ideas are needed. That is why I support pushes in both my Nappy clubs to get other Nappy based games into it.

So it is a mixture of things in my opinion and just a natural flow too.

<center>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[url="http://www.scott-ludwig.com"]<b>General der Infanterie Scott Ludwig</b>[/url]

Kommandeur
3. Infanterie-Brigade and Aide-du-Camp
I. Armee Korps
Heer am Niederrhein
[url="http://www.prussianarmy.com"]Preußische Armee[/url]

Kommandeur
Garde-Artillerie
[url="http://scott-ludwig.com/NWC/Prussia/Garde.htm"]Preußische Armee Garde-Brigade[/url]

Prinz von Saxe-Weimar
(Prince of Saxe-Weimar)
</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:16 pm 

Greg,

As is noted by Scott, the "problem" is not unique to the French. I would suggest that what is happening is simply the natural ebb and flow of people which occurs in any club. During my 6 years as AdN's CoA, every one of its four Corps underwent a nearly complete turnover of their rolls and some of them actually underwent the process twice.

Why? Well, I've come to the conclusion that most people can only maintain a very active rate of participation for about two years. After that work, family obligations, etc. begin to add up and participation in the club declines. Can we do more to arrest that trend? Yes, through newsletters, additional tournaments, etc. we can boost interest and extend the length of time members remain involved. This additional effort, however, entails placing a greater burden on those in leadership positions and increases the likelihood that your "leaders" will themselves experience burn-out and fade away[B)].

For the long-term, while continuing to sponsor activities, we should accept the fact that as "enlistments", so to speak, "expire" many members will choose to return to civilian life and the ranks will have to be re-filled with new recruits.[:)]

Regards,

Paco

<i>Maréchal</i> M. Francisco Palomo
<i>Comte de Marseille
Duc d'Abrantes</i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:54 pm 

I said it before when I came, the Anglo-Allies had a whole Spanish Division, which is now gone and Paco points out the obvious paradox, as we try to involve more people so too does our leadership start to burn out. I know I am far from the prime I used to be and have to push myself sometimes to do the work.

I always felt in all my clubs that some sort of e-mail once a month makes a difference. It shows that people are involved and keeps contact with them.

Naturally people do come and go, but they also come back. In May as I blitzed the club with my Prussian ads we had about 3 retired officers come back bringing our current total of returnees up to about 5 or 6. So it does make a differnce sometimes.

My French Armee is not unlike the one here, some Corps' are in great shape others need help, but I do keep all open, as my personal philosphy is to keep all options open. But one comes to understand that the French are the msot important army in the whole club.

Trust me, I think highly of it being a commander and think highly of the French establishment here. I would not rail and pick and mock you guys if I did not. You've got a good force with good people leading and good junior officers. So yes it makes a difference all these things. Tournaments, e-mails, newsletters. People need that contact sometimes, so try to give it if you can.

<center>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[url="http://www.scott-ludwig.com"]<b>General der Infanterie Scott Ludwig</b>[/url]

Kommandeur
I. Armee Korps
Heer am Niederrhein

Kommandeur
Garde-Artillerie
[url="http://scott-ludwig.com/NWC/Prussia/Garde.htm"]Preußische Armee Garde-Brigade[/url]

Prinz von Saxe-Weimar
(Prince of Saxe-Weimar)
</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:50 am 

Based on the poll being run over at Strategy Zone Online - on the right hand side of the main page -

http://www.strategyzoneonline.com/index.php

The most popular time period to game of 1900+ votes is Napoleonic... I'm in the process of trying to get a section established there though to support the games, and it's slow going. So, hard to say what the deal is.

I think more than anything people don't like to "think" this hard for their fun...they would rather play a RTS game for an hour or so and then turn in...

Maréchal Hamilton, Baron d'Barbancon
21st Division
VII Corps, ADR

Saxon Leib-Garde, de la Jeune Garde, Garde Impériale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:58 am 

I agree its a problem for new members to get a game. (I can remember advertising fruitlessly for one.) Perhaps to keep the interest, rather than yet another training game, brigades on each side could adopt a sister formation on the other side. The commander would have an obligation to arrange a match for newly graduated recruits from the sister formation.

Lt Colonel Neville Worland
2nd Régiment de Dragons
Ier Corps de Réserve de Cavalerie
Army du Nord

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:27 am 

I doubt it's that difficult for newcomers to get a game. I've played a fair few - some I win some I lose.
It's more an issue of actually getting people to join up and then keeping them active. A few drop by the wayside for whatever reason but I have to say I have kept the majority of my opponents. Of those regulars I lost, one went into hospital and never reappeared and the other one had sight problems and could no longer see his monitor and the little men.
I think Rich is correct in that most people don't want to invest the amount of time and brainpower into these games. The majority of folks here are well over thirty, reasonably well educated and of European extraction. I would say that the type of game appeals to that social group in the main.

Generalissimo
Opolchenie Korpus
Russian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:20 am 

It's a long time I plan to organize a tournament for young french officer. If this can help, I am ready to begin the work (I have already create some scenarios for that).

Regards

General de Brigade Lamezec
Comte de Davout
CO 2ème division de Cavalerie légère
ADN2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:57 am 

In order to build and maitain an <i>esprit de corps</i>, I think it's very important to keep individual divisions as well manned as possible. Inactive officers should be moved very quickly to reserve and weaker divisions amalgamated with new recruits plugging the gaps. I think this concentration of officer is the reason that the Netherlands Division was successful and why the Russians and Prussians seem to have such a sense of identity now (that and the enthusiasm of their officers).

<font color="orange">Majoor Peter Robinson
Commander I Corps
[url="http://www.geocities.com/militaireacademie"]Koninklijke Militaire Academie[/url] Adjutant
3rd (Prince of Wales's) Dragoon Guards</font id="orange">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:38 am 

The new training <s>problem</s>[:0] <i>program</i>[^] at the AdR Ecole du Mars is meant to combat the poor retention rates of cadets. We are really trying to bring them in and establish them in the <i>club</i> before turning them loose on their own. For me, I think it is essential that the new recruit bond with a player or two in the club in order to build a community that they want to return to time and time again.

<b>Général de Division Michael Cox</b>
<font size="4"><i>Principe <font size="1">della </font id="size1">Toscana</i></font id="size4">
Comte de Moselle
<i><font size="4">Armée du Rhin</font id="size4">
<font size="2">2e battallion, 1er Regiment de Chasseurs a Pied, Inf. de l'V. Gde.</i></font id="size2">

<font size="1"><u>In Regards to Skirmisher Flop by Melee Losers:</u>
<ul><li>Make it an optional rather than fixed rule (at the very least). </li>
<li>Skirmisher stack size relative to retreating formed unit should be a factor (whether in clear or covered terrain). </li>
<li>For skirmishers, (not leaders or wagons) covered terrain (swamp, building, city, town, forest, marsh, and perhaps orchard) should negate the overrun result.</li></font id="size1"> </ul>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:42 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mike Cox</i>
<br />The new training problem at the AdR Ecole du Mars
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Damnation, we have a training problem? [8)]

<center>Général de Division D.S. "Green Horse" Walter
Baron d'Empire, Duc des Pyramides
Commandant de la [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/3_VI_AdR_Home.htm"]3ème Division[/url], VIème Corps Bavarois, L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant [url="http://mikedavies122863.tripod.com/index.htm"]L'Ecole de Mars[/url], L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant de la Brigade de Tirailleurs de la Jeune Garde
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:41 am 

I agree I think the complcation of the games is a big issue. I had them years before I joined these clubs so by the time I got here I was already into it. But that's because I always liked history.

I am below the age level that Andy Moss mentions, but I do possess a BA in History and am at the current time pursuing a Masters, so the education level is there. But I do know of some who are younger than me. Not too many though.

I agree with Mike Cox's assessment of retention. I know it is hard to keep new officers in. We are having that problem in my other club when we do get new people, so it does take time and commitment, and it has to be built.

But like I said before, I always feel that once in a while contact makes a differences.

I actually saw for the first time last night the NWC got itself an ad placed in HPS Waterloo, so that maybe helping the current surge in recruits.

<center>

Kommandeur
I. Armee Korps
Heer am Niederrhein

Kommandeur
Garde-Artillerie

Prinz von Saxe-Weimar
(Prince of Saxe-Weimar)
</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:47 am 
"The majority of folks here are well over thirty, reasonably well educated and of European extraction. I would say that the type of game appeals to that social group in the main." -Andy Moss

Now had I said that, Ernie would've been all over me. [;)]

Colonel (ret) Al Amos
1er Dragoons
AdN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:48 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SansSouci</i>
<br />In order to build and maitain an <i>esprit de corps</i>, I think it's very important to keep individual divisions as well manned as possible. Inactive officers should be moved very quickly to reserve and weaker divisions amalgamated with new recruits plugging the gaps. I think this concentration of officer is the reason that the Netherlands Division was successful and why the Russians and Prussians seem to have such a sense of identity now (that and the enthusiasm of their officers).

<font color="orange">Majoor Peter Robinson
Commander I Corps
[url="http://www.geocities.com/militaireacademie"]Koninklijke Militaire Academie[/url] Adjutant
3rd (Prince of Wales's) Dragoon Guards</font id="orange">
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Pete I agree and disagree at the sametime. I know of clubs where men are condensed into a few divisions and hardly any of them are active. I know of whole armies in a few clubs that are dead. It's not the concentration per say as it is what the leaders do and how they interact with their men. I can't stress it enough!! Contact, contact, contact on a regular basis is key. People need to feel they are wanted and welcome, they need to feel that some is out there besides their opponents. How hard is it to type an e-mail and say hi how are you doing?? I love to hear from my men and what they are up to. Makes me feel that my job is being done if they are out there playing and involved.

I have been keeping contact with the Prussian Armee almost every two months or so and even so I check in with people a lot too, and I also make us known like in May. But Armee manuevers are a great way to build that spirit, and I wish I could do it in all my clubs, but I can't sometimes. But contact is key!! It's my number one platform.

OBTW, thanks for mentioning us Prussians that was kind of you. Of course we all know the Russians are probably the premier force in almost all areas of club life. They are a well oiled machine.

<center>

Kommandeur
I. Armee Korps
Heer am Niederrhein

Kommandeur
Garde-Artillerie

Prinz von Saxe-Weimar
(Prince of Saxe-Weimar)
</center>