Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:38 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The majority of folks here are well over thirty, reasonably well educated and of European extraction.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Does this mean that this 22 year old American is in the minority!?! [:D][:p]

Sous-Lt. Brad Slepetz
L'Armee du Nord

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:03 am 

Brad - on the age criterion yes! However the youngest is a 14 year old also from the US. You both still meet 2/3 of my criteria though. Thus my hypothesis stands. Now you will need to stand the test of time and resist the usual distractions of the young male. Ah, how I remember those halcyon days of my youth! - igneous rocks; freshwater algae; a brief flirtation with medieval cockles .....

Generalissimo
Opolchenie Korpus
Russian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:33 am 

Andy,

Rocks and algae I can understand, but medieval cockles!!????[?]

Ah, now I get it, using the cockles is how you met said igneous rocks and freshwater algae![:D]

Col Mark Oakford
9eme Ch a Ch, III Corps, ADN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:46 am 

Mark - Without drifting any further off topic, growth line analyses of cockles can tell you a lot about age of shell, seawater temperature, season collected. Isotope analysis can even tell you where the bloody things came from if found inland. All sorts. Next time you chuff one down in the pub you may want to consider that. Cockles were once a big thing in my life. From Bronze Age Uist to medieval Yorkshire wolds. Oh gone are the days of digging in middens. I do so lament my lost youth.

Now back to the original topic which was something to do with why we lose members as I recall......

Generalissimo
Opolchenie Korpus
Russian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:58 am 

Andy,

I know a recruit younger than 14 and is half-way through Naftziger's (sp?) book on the invasion of Russian!

But contact is the key. And training! I always wonder if, when I was a LT/Capt, that the slaughters I perpetrated on the unsuspecting innocents in the Allies Armies caused some to flee for America...

General de Division Doug Fuller
Comte de Hainaut et Duc de Lutzen
CO Brigade de Voltigeurs de La Jeune Guard
I Corp CO
AdN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:36 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I always wonder if, when I was a LT/Capt, that the slaughters I perpetrated on the unsuspecting innocents in the Allies Armies caused some to flee for America...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Doug, hopefully after becoming your next victim I will still have some resolve to stay in the club. [:D][:p]

And 14-year-olds in the club!?!? I barely knew who Napoleon was at that age! [:0]

Sous-Lt. Brad Slepetz
L'Armee du Nord

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:16 am 

"I always wonder if, when I was a LT/Capt, that the slaughters I perpetrated on the unsuspecting innocents in the Allies Armies caused some to flee for America..."

Unsuspecting innocents are not always what they seem. Many a time I've had my nose bloodied by a newbie. I usually try and pass it off as I let them win their first battle but in reality they are better than me. Either way I usually like to welcome newcomers by offering a game. In the unlikely event I win the scoring system usually means they get better points than me anyway.

And besides, why would anyone flee TO America? Most of my points come from generals from the colonies.

Maybe we need a special legion for disgraced generals. In the Opolchenie you get to dress like a scarecrow.

Generalissimo
Opolchenie Korpus
Russian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:06 am 

Andy,

Point taken, but I couldn't resist! [:D]

Q. Is there any difference between Opelchenie and a scarecrow?
A. Yes, the scarecrow is better dressed!

I agree with all said, contact is the key (and a certain stubborness) to rise above those lieutnenats and captains who know it all, defeat all (maybe - I know of a few generals, starved of combat, who fought such lowly ranks, then only to see them disappear half-way through the battle - or was that the Generals who disappeared?)

The current Russian morale meets their battlefield effect in NIR, I wish it were so for all armies...

Colonel Mark Oakford
93m3 Ch a Ch, III Corps, L'Armee du Nord

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:57 pm 

A topic with many perspectives. I will add a few.

First, the Allies have actually seen an increase in recruits over the past 2 months. I'm woefully behind on updating my RMA web page, but my pending file shows 10 new cadets in the past 2 months among the 4 allied armies. We had about 45 last year in total. Not sure why, but I do know a couple were because of a recent HPS Waterloo purchase and then seeing a reference from HPS.

As to the topic of retaining members. I would also vote for anything that improves/increases communication. Relative to the games, I think anything that increases "skill development" would be a plus. I think there are too many subtleties in these games to simply learn by playing. I would like to see some club effort focused at educating players how to do better. I think there is a need for some documentation that goes beyond what exists -- something like a "how to win" document. I would also like to see some information that "rates" the scenarios to help new people decide what to play first.

There might also be a need to segment things for those focused on this club and those who participate in multiple clubs. I suspect the interests might be different between the two groups.

And last but not least, I think anyone who runs a tournament deserves a lot of thanks. I think they go a long way toward increasing interest.

Brigadier Sir Bob Breen KT

1st (The King's) Dragoon Guards
Commandant, RMA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:01 am 

Well I would not be keen on sharing information and tips on gameplay to make people better. That's something you get with experience. I'd be in danger of not winning any games at all if my opponents did exactly what I did. Read the rules! Understand the game engine! Play with experienced players! Learn, don't get spoonfed! Ugh! It's like being back in teaching in the real world.

Mark. Thank you for your kind comments about the Opelchenie (sic). It makes me feel so much better about my command. As it happens the Opolchenie get a +4 morale bonus in NIR, a scarecrow does not. And scarecrows cannot break down into lots of irritating skirmishers. And the corps as a whole has produced some excellent players, most of whom I can't spell or pronounce after the obligatory Sunday lunchtime o'booze.

Now can we get back to cockles please?

Generalissimo
Opolchenie Korpus
Russian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:26 am 
Monsieur
As a non Europen an a relative of a pass dead soldat of the Empire i though down my glove of honor to meet you on the fild of battle Nir #7 now Monsieur,not all of the gamers fit this qute of yours.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andy Moss</i>
<br />I doubt it's that difficult for newcomers to get a game. I've played a fair few - some I win some I lose.
It's more an issue of actually getting people to join up and then keeping them active. A few drop by the wayside for whatever reason but I have to say I have kept the majority of my opponents. Of those regulars I lost, one went into hospital and never reappeared and the other one had sight problems and could no longer see his monitor and the little men.
I think Rich is correct in that most people don't want to invest the amount of time and brainpower into these games. The majority of folks here are well over thirty, reasonably well educated and of European extraction. I would say that the type of game appeals to that social group in the main.

Generalissimo
Opolchenie Korpus
Russian Army
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"><font size="5"></font id="size5"><font face="Times New Roman"></font id="Times New Roman"><font color="black"></font id="black">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:29 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gasman</i>
<br />Monsieur
As a non Europen an a relative of a pass dead soldat of the Empire i though down my glove of honor to meet you on the fild of battle Nir #7 now Monsieur,not all of the gamers fit this qute of yours.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You a member of the club yet??

If not feel free to choose a side...[:)]

http://www.wargame.ch/wc/nwc/Napann1.htm

<center>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[url="http://www.scott-ludwig.com"]<b>General der Infanterie Scott Ludwig</b>[/url]

Kommandeur
3. Infanterie-Brigade and Aide-du-Camp
I. Armee Korps
Heer am Niederrhein
[url="http://www.prussianarmy.com"]Preußische Armee[/url]

Kommandeur
Garde-Artillerie
[url="http://scott-ludwig.com/NWC/Prussia/Garde.htm"]Preußische Armee Garde-Brigade[/url]

Prinz von Saxe-Weimar
(Prince of Saxe-Weimar)
</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:36 am 
Monsieur
I'm a serving Lt in the VI Div II corps 6/3 ARt Cheval Lt. Marbot
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SLudwig</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gasman</i>
<br />Monsieur
As a non Europen an a relative of a pass dead soldat of the Empire i though down my glove of honor to meet you on the fild of battle Nir #7 now Monsieur,not all of the gamers fit this qute of yours.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You a member of the club yet??

If not feel free to choose a side...[:)]

http://www.wargame.ch/wc/nwc/Napann1.htm

<center>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[url="http://www.scott-ludwig.com"]<b>General der Infanterie Scott Ludwig</b>[/url]

Kommandeur
3. Infanterie-Brigade and Aide-du-Camp
I. Armee Korps
Heer am Niederrhein
[url="http://www.prussianarmy.com"]Preußische Armee[/url]

Kommandeur
Garde-Artillerie
[url="http://scott-ludwig.com/NWC/Prussia/Garde.htm"]Preußische Armee Garde-Brigade[/url]

Prinz von Saxe-Weimar
(Prince of Saxe-Weimar)
</center>
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:48 pm 
Mon ami
This loud mouth has fail to reply to me i wish to be to one who cuts this Anglais down Vive L'e France Vive L'e Iles

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by slepsta</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I always wonder if, when I was a LT/Capt, that the slaughters I perpetrated on the unsuspecting innocents in the Allies Armies caused some to flee for America...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Doug, hopefully after becoming your next victim I will still have some resolve to stay in the club. [:D][:p]

And 14-year-olds in the club!?!? I barely knew who Napoleon was at that age! [:0]

Sous-Lt. Brad Slepetz
L'Armee du Nord

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:57 am 
Are there no more non European's no college under 30 willing to step up and show this stuff shirt that we are here.He has drawn his sword we meet in the cold of Russie an Anglais Russie Army Commander vs a Lt de ChevaL?[8D]
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gasman</i>
<br />Mon ami
This loud mouth has fail to reply to me i wish to be to one who cuts this Anglais down Vive L'e France Vive L'e Iles

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by slepsta</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I always wonder if, when I was a LT/Capt, that the slaughters I perpetrated on the unsuspecting innocents in the Allies Armies caused some to flee for America...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Sous-Lt. Brad Slepetz
L'Armee du Nord