Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:00 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andy Moss</i>
<br />Well I would not be keen on sharing information and tips on gameplay to make people better. That's something you get with experience. I'd be in danger of not winning any games at all if my opponents did exactly what I did. Read the rules! Understand the game engine! Play with experienced players! Learn, don't get spoonfed! Ugh! It's like being back in teaching in the real world.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Actually, Andy, with all due respect, I couldn't disagree more.
Compared to all the other series' by JT/HPS, the Nappy games have an incredibly steep learning curve. Even knowing the rules and understanding some tactics of the period, there is still worlds from first contact with the games to really mastering them against an experienced human opponent. Plenty of room for terminal frustration and leaving the club.

If we just throw our newbies in the cold water and tell them "in time you'll learn how to swim", we probably deny at least half of them the chance ever to reach the level where the games start giving them some satisfactory experience. There is so many tips and tricks that experienced players know by heart that can make it so much easier for a newbie when shared. What does it cost us? A little time and patience. What do we gain? A chance to make this club richer and better by giving more new members a real chance for a good start, thus increasing the chance that they stick around.

Whatever I can do to make this happen, I will. That's what the Ecole de Mars stands for, in any case.

Now please tell me you were just playing the devil's advocate. [8)]

<center>Général de Division D.S. "Green Horse" Walter
Baron d'Empire, Duc des Pyramides
Commandant de la [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/3_VI_AdR_Home.htm"]3ème Division[/url], VIème Corps Bavarois, L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant [url="http://mikedavies122863.tripod.com/index.htm"]L'Ecole de Mars[/url], L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant de la Brigade de Tirailleurs de la Jeune Garde
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:31 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gasman</i>
<br />Are there no more non European's no college under 30 willing to step up and show this stuff shirt that we are here.He has drawn his sword we meet in the cold of Russie an Anglais Russie Army Commander vs a Lt de ChevaL?[8D]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I'm a non-European, with only a little college, but alas over 30...well over it. [:(]

Maréchal Hamilton, Baron d'Barbancon
21st Division
VII Corps, ADR

Saxon Leib-Garde, de la Jeune Garde, Garde Impériale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:05 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D.S. Walter</i>
Actually, Andy, with all due respect, I couldn't disagree more.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I could not agree with you more, boss [:)]

In fact I will even share with the '<i>opposition</i>' if it helps them understand the game better and provides a tougher challenge next time around

Mark
VII Corps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:28 am 

Gentlemen,

Just a note regarding Andy Moss' comments that seem to have confused a few people -- he didn't say most of the club members were "European" he said "of European extraction." This American is primarily , though not entirely, of European extraction, as are most of us including Lt Marbot it would seem. Those that aren't, are of course still welcome.

General Theron Lambert
Comte d'Angers et Duc de Montereau
3rd Brigade, 3rd Division
VI Corps
Armee du Rhin
Commandant de la Division de Cavalerie de la Moyenne Garde

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:14 am 

Theron. Thanks! Clearly some of those of European extraction don't have English as a first language[;)]

Mark. Dierk. Well ok. Depends on the opponent's experience. And whether or not I'm winning. I'm quite happy to say "you should have formed square" after wiping out a division. Not happy about "form square or my hidden cavalry will wipe out your men!". Besides, some players may take an "are you sure you wanted to do that?" as patronizing. In fact I say that just to put an opponent off his game. Mr Barrett and I have just had a lengthy debate on the subject of gamey tactics and their extension off the battlefield. Also of course it depends on the opponent's gamestyle, it may be incompatible with mine and I'd teach him bad habits which others may regard as gamey. However, yes I accept that to an extent I was playing Devil's Advocate. If asked a specific question I'm happy to answer it.

Generalissimo
Opolchenie Korpus
Russian Army