Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Those dang replays
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:16 pm 

We have HUGE armies on HUGE maps and it takes forever (16 minutes) to watch a replay where <u>nothing</u> at all happens. Yuck! The reason to go through all of that is supposedly to see that one enemy unit crest a hill ---for recon purposes.

Why can't replays just show you <u>only</u> what is in the line of sight of any of your units? It eventually will anyways, but why waste <u>any</u> time at all showing us that moves were made outside of LOS?

On top of that, when replays show you anything, it happens so quickly that you often can't tell what it was or where it might've happened. This is especially true on any map where the screen jumps to different locations.

A set of buttons like a VCR has for replays sure would be helpful. (ie. pause, stop, play, fast-forward, & rewind are the kinds of buttons that I am thinking of.)

Does anyone really use replays for these big scenarios?

Rick

<center>Lieutenant Rick Motko
1er Bataillon, 33° Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne
2eme Brigade, 11eme division
IIIe corps, Armée du Nord</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:52 pm 

Submit this to Rich Hamilton for John to consider.

Remember, if its a GOOD idea and enough folks are backing it then John is more likely to add it in.

I am all for it and have already voiced my opinion FOR IT.

Send your comments, suggestions and questions to Rich at the HPS Support email. He is very helpful in letting you know if he thinks that John will go for it or not based on over four years of working with John.

Oberst Wilhelm Peters
2nd Kuirassiers, Reserve Korps, Austrian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:11 pm 
I have been asking for exactly that for YEARS literally. I always heard it was not considered worthwhile. [xx(]

<center>
Général de Division D.S. "Green Horse" Walter
Baron d'Empire, Duc des Pyramides
Commandant de la [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/3_VI_AdR_Home.htm"]3ème Division[/url], VIème Corps Bavarois, L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant [url="http://mikedavies122863.tripod.com/index.htm"]L'Ecole de Mars[/url], L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant de la Brigade de Tirailleurs de la Jeune Garde
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:30 pm 

I'd back it too. Many a time I skip replays then blunder into something simply because I didn't see it coming.

Generalissimo
Opolchenie Korpus
Russian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:30 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D.S. Walter</i>
<br />I have been asking for exactly that for YEARS literally. I always heard it was not considered worthwhile. [xx(]

<center>
Commandant de la [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/3_VI_AdR_Home.htm"]3ème Division[/url], VIème Corps Bavarois, L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant [url="http://mikedavies122863.tripod.com/index.htm"]L'Ecole de Mars[/url], L'Armée du Rhin
Image</center>
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Dierk, if I didnt persist (or as John may consider it - pester) on asking for the same things alot we never would have had them.

Bridge Damage
Engineers
Various options you now have to choose from

Dont take a negative angle on this. We just keep plugging away. Every so often I send John a message that says something like: "Hey, some of the guys on my playtest team were asking about .... again and wondered if it was something you could incorporate into the engine anytime soon."

I know that he knows how to program this. Its just a matter of priority.

Oberst Wilhelm Peters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:36 am 

Hehe, I have been know (in fact I do it frequently) to rotate hidden units and march leaders up and down in between moving exposed neighbouring units in order to give the impression that certain locations are stronger than they actually are. [:o)]

<font color="orange">Majoor Peter Robinson
Commander I Corps
[url="http://www.geocities.com/militaireacademie"]Koninklijke Militaire Academie[/url] Adjutant
3rd (Prince of Wales's) Dragoon Guards</font id="orange">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:55 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SansSouci</i>
<br />Hehe, I have been know (in fact I do it frequently) to rotate hidden units and march leaders up and down in between moving exposed neighbouring units in order to give the impression that certain locations are stronger than they actually are. [:o)]

SHHHHHHHHH! Don't tell anyone.[;)]

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
GdB,1er Brig,1eme Div,VI Corps,AdR
President, Colonial Campaign Club
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:13 pm 
I've been known to order some of my officers to play 'sit & spin'. That's where I rotate an officer around 10, 15, 20 times in his hex. The whole purpose is to wear out my opponent. He gets tired of watching replays, and stops doing so. I can then move more securely.

Historically, commanders would, from time to time, send troops out on a flank to raise up a lot of dust, or noise, or some other kind of ruse to mislead the enemy. This is my version of that. [:D]

Colonel (ret) Al Amos
1er Dragoons
AdN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:26 pm 

I have my own version of playing with folks via the replay.

You move a column of infantry through and back around a woods making it look like an endless column of men. Works well when you know that a LOS leads to a certain set of hexes but no futher. Used to do it in BGN alot.

This keeps your opponent drawn to that sector of the battlfield while your raiders sneak in and steal the enemy's lemonade supplies!

There is nothing madder than an army that doesnt have lemonade on a hot day!

Oberst Wilhelm Peters
[url="http://www.acwgc.org/acwgc_members/burr/Austrian%20Army/Bill_Peters.htm"]Officer Battle Dossier[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:33 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Al Amos</i>
<br />I've been known to order some of my officers to play 'sit & spin'. That's where I rotate an officer around 10, 15, 20 times in his hex. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You do it as well Al !

I tend to use skirmishers for the same purpose. I recall a great game against Paul Harris where this tactic convinced him I must be moving a massive force in a flanking move to the west down the defile towards Braine l'Alleud, causing him to shift his centre a little and help my assault.

Still didn't quite beat him, but a heck of a game!

Regards

Mark
VII Corps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:42 pm 

Mark. Al. Peter. That is just plain low! I'd never do such a thing[;)]Moving units to give the impression of being stronger than you are is justifiable but simply to wear out your opponents' patience......I'm shocked and stunned. Besides, I suspect none but the fanatical or masochistic watch the replays anyway.

Generalissimo
Opolchenie Korpus
Russian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:40 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andy Moss</i>
Besides, I suspect none but the fanatical or masochistic watch the replays anyway.

Hush! Don't give away our little secrets. [:D]

<center>
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:21 pm 

I rarely watch replays. Well, I say that to give my opponents a false sense of security!

You never know when Big Brother is watching! [:D]

A NIR replay took about 25 minute to watch from start to finish. And if guys like Al are jiving and juking skirmishers and leaders it can take longer.

I can only imagine how long a replay in Twin Peaks must take! [:D]

Oberst Wilhelm Peters
[url="http://www.acwgc.org/acwgc_members/burr/Austrian%20Army/Bill_Peters.htm"]Officer Battle Dossier[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:03 am 
Shouldn't we just add a feature that allows horses to just pull branches and trees to create some dust, making the opponent believe there was a lot of troop movement and allow replays to take less time? [:o)]

[url="mailto:pyguinard@hotmail.com"]Chef de Bataillon Py Guinard[/url],
6e Division, II Corp
AdN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:28 pm 

Why keep something that no one uses it? Let's get rid of the dang thing.

<center>Lieutenant Rick Motko
1er Bataillon, 33° Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne
2eme Brigade, 11eme division
IIIe corps, Armée du Nord</center>