Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:40 am 

Gentlemen
An enjoyable game seems to me to be one in which equally skilled opponents play a scn. of sufficient size and diversity that the outcome is very difficult to predict.[:p]
My nomination for such a scn is Hunting for Davout.[:I]
The reasoning being it is almaost a third of the way through the scn.before contact is made yet once the first blood is shed the fighting can become decisive.[:0]
I am playing Dean Beecham at present and at move 19 of 60 the casualties are 4 infantry and 2 cavalry.[8]
Boring I hear you cry, no is my responce anticipation is far more satisfying than instant gratification.[;)]
Any other nominations[:D]

Field Marshal Sir "Lucky" Jim (K.G.)
Commander
Divisie Nederlandsche Kavallerie, 1st. Corps
Allied/Dutch Army
"And let my sword not sleep in my hand"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:59 am 

Same for me. Sacile from Eckmuhl is also a favorite.

Oberst Wilhelm Peters
2nd Kuirassiers, Reserve Korps, Austrian Army
[url="http://www.acwgc.org/acwgc_members/burr/Austrian%20Army/Bill_Peters.htm"]Officer Battle Dossier[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:29 pm 

Other than the fact I got thrashed by Paco when I actually found Davout I'd say that was an excellent scenario too.

Generalissimo
Opolchenie Korpus
Russian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:44 pm 
Gets my vote. Nice size, nice map, nice setup, nice adventure-like feel.

<center>
Général de Division D.S. "Green Horse" Walter
Baron d'Empire, Duc des Pyramides
Commandant de la [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/3_VI_AdR_Home.htm"]3ème Division[/url], VIème Corps Bavarois, L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant [url="http://mikedavies122863.tripod.com/index.htm"]L'Ecole de Mars[/url], L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant de la Brigade de Tirailleurs de la Jeune Garde
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:26 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jim Hall</i>
<br />Boring I hear you cry, no is my responce anticipation is far more satisfying than instant gratification.[;)]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I agree there, much better maneuver and have to actually search for your enemy than to just start bashing heads from the first turn, IMHO.

Maréchal Hamilton, Baron d'Barbancon
21st Division
VII Corps, ADR

Saxon Leib-Garde, de la Jeune Garde, Garde Impériale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:51 am 

When designing hypothetical scenarios, it's often a good idea to start at dawn - or with limited visibility due to fog, heavy rain or else intervening terrain - this means that the armies can start reasonably near to each other but won't be able to tell what their opponent's up to for the first few turns.

An added twist to produce uncertainty regarding the enemy's initial deployment might be to make use of the campaign editor to create a set of four (or perhaps six or eight) variant scenarios - the players' "campaign" choices will then determine which of these scenarios is actually played.

Capt Rich White
4th Cavalry Brigade
Cavalry Corps
Anglo-Allied Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:02 am 

Jim,

Hunting Davout is my personal favorite[8D], but another good one is the "Alternative" or non-historical Hunting Davout.

This scenario assumes that III Corps' passage through the Saal Gap was not contested, so the scenario begins with IIIC and VIIC (Bavarians) deployed in a wide arc running from Abensberg to Teung-Hausen. The Austrians, on the other hand, begin with a concentrated, central deployment in the SE quadrant of the map, with numerous reinforcements arriving from the South.

As compared with the "historical" Hunting Davout scenario, the "alternative" scenario is shorter (40 vs. 60 turns) and first contact generally occurs much more quickly. Nonetheless, both players have a plethora of options and careful reconnoissance is invariably the <i>sine qua non</i> for the victorious player.

Regards,

Paco

<i>Maréchal M. Francisco Palomo
Comte de Marseille
Duc d'Abrantes
Commandant - Division de Cavalerie de la Vieille Garde</i>
AdC - <i>Ieré Corps de Armee</i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:05 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pacowork</i>
<br />Jim,

Hunting Davout is my personal favorite[8D], but another good one is the "Alternative" or non-historical Hunting Davout.

they are mine too so far... So many choices[:)]

<font color="green"> <b>Général de Division David Guégan Comte de Toulon, Duc de Nimes</b>
Co 11eme division
III Corps, AdN
Co Division d'Infanterie de la Jeune Garde, Garde Impériale Image

http://home.earthlink.net/~davidguegan/</font id="green">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:32 am 
Another nice scenadrio design trick is to start one hour before night falls with both armies fully deployed in sight (not necessarily close) to each other. You see your enemy but have a chance to completely rearrange your deployment before the next day's battle.

Colonel (ret) Al Amos
1er Dragoons
AdN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:47 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Al Amos</i>
<br />Another nice scenadrio design trick is to start one hour before night falls with both armies fully deployed in sight (not necessarily close) to each other. You see your enemy but have a chance to completely rearrange your deployment before the next day's battle.

Colonel (ret) Al Amos
1er Dragoons
AdN

And if you go with 30 minute night moves it gives you a bit more time to deploy too. In the scenarios where I have 10 minute moves the night turns are 30 minutes each. Gives you more time to recover fatigue too!

Oberst Wilhelm Peters
2nd Kuirassiers, Reserve Korps, Austrian Army
[url="http://www.acwgc.org/acwgc_members/burr/Austrian%20Army/Bill_Peters.htm"]Officer Battle Dossier[/url]