Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:51 am 

In putting together a new game I have just discovered something that to my knowledge has never been noted.

Basically, the 3dUnits100b.bmp and 3dUnits50b.bmp files are for the 3d cavalry icons.

Note in any of the games that the routed icons are at the top of the file.

Now open up the infantry 3d icons files. The file to check is 3dUnits100c.bmp.

All of the routed infantry icons are at the bottom.

How does this impact the display of 3d view?

Here is how:

1. In the cavalry file because the routed units are at the TOP of the file, each time you add an army to the OB file or if you have a game that has different OBs that use differeing numbers of armies you will note that the 3d icons dont match for each of them IF the mapping number is the same for that unit.

2. Example: if you map a Hussar regiment to #5 for a two army OB and then just copy all of the OB to another OB file that will have three armies then the Hussar will use the icon directly to the right or down one row and to the left.

3. Numbering of the 3dUnits100b.bmp file:

Count the number of armies in your OB. This is the number of Routed icons that the engine is looking for in the 3dUnits100b.bmp file.

Those routed icons will be displayed for a two army OB file:

top left - first Allied army
top right - French army

Should you add in another army then the engine will look for a third icon.

Then #0 is on the second line - left icon and #1 is on the second line right icon. And you alternate from left to right down each line.

Thus for a two army OB file #7 is found on the fifth row, right set of icons on the line. Each line has two sets of icons that are different.

Most of our games only have two armies. Eckmuhl, Wagram, NRC.

The top line is for the routed cavalry icons in the 3dUnits100b.bmp file.

But one of our games has three armies!

Check Waterloo out to see how this works:

Top row - left icon is for the Anglo-Allies
Top row - right icon is for the French
Second row - left icon is for the Prussians

Now lets say you wanted to add in the Austrians to the 1815 OB (its not locked as per Gettysburg). You do up the nice artwork and add in the icons to the Units.bmp file. You code up your OB file and now you have FOUR armies.

The routed icon that the Austrians would use would be the second row - right icon.

The problem is is that as soon as you open the game you will note that the cavalry 3d icons are off by 1. They now show an incorrect icon.

Thus you now have to renumber all of your cavalry in the OB file.

Now look at any of the Mods that use a large set of icons to represent many nationalities. Look at the OBs that use these files. Whenever the number of armies is different than 2 the master coding of the icons is thrown off. (not sure if this applies to NIR, BGW and PTW)

So ...

I am working with John Tiller to correct this by:

1. Using the same scheme as per the infantry. Change the game coding so that it looks for the icons at the BOTTOM of the file for the cavalry. Yes, this will change my coding a bit but will mean that it will remain consistent no matter how many armies I add in. I would just have to add in routed icons at the bottom for more armies.

2. Have Mark move the routed icons to the bottom of the file.

In this way the cavalry mapping will not get messed up when we designers want to use a smaller OB that say only has the French and Prussians in it for 1815. Lots of folks have commented to me that having smaller OBs is nice as you can check the strengths faster without having to look through alot of other formations that are not in the scenario.

And the Scenario Designer doesnt have to pull out his hair when he gets an email stating that the icons are not correct (had alot of those and am trying to do alot better on QC this go round).

Oberst Wilhelm Peters
2nd Kuirassiers, Reserve Korps, Austrian Army
[url="http://www.acwgc.org/acwgc_members/burr/Austrian%20Army/Bill_Peters.htm"]Officer Battle Dossier[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:39 pm 

Bill
thanks for that decisive modification !
The other solution was to write oob with always the same number of armies : 4, and to leave unused armies oob empty.
Yours
stephane
austrian blah blah blah

Austrian Army
6th husaren Blankenstein
finally figured out how to have the signature inserted in the post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:05 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by stephane</i>
<br />Bill
thanks for that decisive modification !
The other solution was to write oob with always the same number of armies : 4, and to leave unused armies oob empty.
Yours
stephane
austrian blah blah blah

Austrian Army
6th husaren Blankenstein
finally figured out how to have the signature inserted in the post
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Well if John wont have time to modify the code I have an answer to the situation. I will do just what you have suggested and put in four armies.

French
Hannibal's
Caesar's
Rommel's

I have always wanted to see an elephant smash a PzKw IIIJ!

Oberst Wilhelm Peters
2nd Kuirassiers, Reserve Korps, Austrian Army
[url="http://www.acwgc.org/acwgc_members/burr/Austrian%20Army/Bill_Peters.htm"]Officer Battle Dossier[/url]