Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Wagram and Stream
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:16 am 

I would like to know why we can't cross a stream with artillery at Wagram in scenario 11h

The parameter file says:

Artillery Movement Costs
Blocked: 0 Clear: 4 Water: 0 Forest: 16
Orchard: 12 Marsh: 0 Building: 4 Chateau: 4
Village: 8 Rough: 0 Field: 6 Path: 4
Road: 3 Pike: 2 Rail: 4 <font color="red">Stream: 4</font id="red">
Creek: 0 Hedge: 4 Wall: 12 Embank: 0
High: 0 Gate: 4 Fort: 0 Elevation: 4

So from what I read it seems that we should be able to cross...

<font color="green"> <b>Général de Division David Guégan Comte de Toulon, Duc de Nimes</b>
Co 11eme division
III Corps, AdN
Co Division d'Infanterie de la Jeune Garde, Garde Impériale Image

http://home.earthlink.net/~davidguegan/</font id="green">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:42 am 

David,

<b>Which</b> stream are you trying to cross, the Russbach? Moreover, <b>where</b> along the stream, ie. which hexside, is your arty trying to effect a crossing?

Regards,

Paco

<i>Maréchal M. Francisco Palomo
Comte de Marseille
Duc d'Abrantes
Commandant - Division de Cavalerie de la Vieille Garde</i>
CO - <i>Iere Corps de Armee</i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:55 am 

Yes it is the Russbach... I am on the scenario 11h and I am trying in differents points: like 31/49 32/50 and a bunch of others. I am not trying to cross where there is marsh but only where it is clear on the other side.

<font color="green"> <b>Général de Division David Guégan Comte de Toulon, Duc de Nimes</b>
Co 11eme division
III Corps, AdN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:08 am 

David,

Can't explain why that is happening off the top of my head, but I'll take a look at that scenario when I get home tonight.

Regards,

Paco

<i>Maréchal M. Francisco Palomo
Comte de Marseille
Duc d'Abrantes
Commandant - Division de Cavalerie de la Vieille Garde</i>
AdC - <i>Ieré Corps de Armee</i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:14 am 

David

I don't have the game so can not check this out, but it's worth taking a look at the hexside information if it can be accessed. Is there anything else as well as the stream on that hexside, (check both hexes). The presence of an embankment for example, will prevent artillery movement but allow infantry and cavalry

Regards

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:13 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by davidguegan</i>
<br />Yes it is the Russbach... I am on the scenario 11h and I am trying in differents points: like 31/49 32/50 and a bunch of others. I am not trying to cross where there is marsh but only where it is clear on the other side.

Co 11eme division
III Corps, AdN

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I opened up this scenario in Wagram, tried crossing at several points near where you are illustrating and:

I was able to cross from 31.51 to 32.50 (clear hex)

Likewise anywhere that there was a clear hex on the other side.

I was not able to cross the stream into any kind of marsh hex as of course the value is "0" and that means its prohibited.

I was able to cross over the stream into a woods hex (30.49). I had 4 points left over but it worked.

What kind of hex is on the other side of the stream hexside you are trying to cross? Marsh? Woods?

Are you limbered (ok - dont throw bottles and cans at me) or unlimbered? (boy is this a dumb question but I have to ask it)

How many MPs were left of the batteries' alottment when you tried to cross.

Oberst Wilhelm Peters
2nd Kuirassiers, Reserve Korps, Austrian Army
[url="http://www.acwgc.org/acwgc_members/burr/Austrian%20Army/Bill_Peters.htm"]Officer Battle Dossier[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:25 pm 

That is a really weird situation...
And I have figured out what was the problem. If I try to cross the stream by double clicking on the unit and chose a destination on the map with the mouse I have the message "Unit not allowed to make requested move" in the bottom barre of the game. But if I use the number pad to move the same unit the artillery crosses without any probleme... [B)]
When I got the first message I didn't bother to try anything else until you told me that it was working fine for you. [^]

Co 11eme division
III Corps, AdN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:38 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by davidguegan</i>
<br />That is a really weird situation...
And I have figured out what was the problem. If I try to cross the stream by double clicking on the unit and chose a destination on the map with the mouse I have the message "Unit not allowed to make requested move" in the bottom barre of the game. But if I use the number pad to move the same unit the artillery crosses without any probleme... [B)]
When I got the first message I didn't bother to try anything else until you told me that it was working fine for you. [^]

Co 11eme division
III Corps, AdN

I drag and drop all of the time. Never had that problem before.

Try selecting the unit and then right click on the destination hex. I just tried that out and it worked fine.

Maybe your mouse is Austrian! [:D] Doesnt like to see French artillery crossing the Russbach!

Oberst Wilhelm Peters
[url="http://www.acwgc.org/acwgc_members/burr/Austrian%20Army/Bill_Peters.htm"]Officer Battle Dossier[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:47 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
I drag and drop all of the time. Never had that problem before.

Try selecting the unit and then right click on the destination hex. I just tried that out and it worked fine.

Maybe your mouse is Austrian! [:D] Doesnt like to see French artillery crossing the Russbach!

[:D][:D] Well apparently the only way the game doesn't like it is the way I am used to play. Usually I double click on the unit then hold the left button of the mouse and release on the destination hex...

Co 11eme division
III Corps, AdN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:03 pm 

You might try sending Rich H. some details of this. He might have an answer or at least be ready with an answer for other folks.

You may have a help for someone else that runs into the same problem. Though I dont like using the arrows.

Oberst Wilhelm Peters