Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:44 am 
Let me point out that this question is in no way meant to be provocative or critical of any person who has held or is currently holding this office or running for it, nor of the club rules or the cabinet as such.

Fact is, as I just realized again when I talked about this subject with a fellow member, I really don't know what the responsibilities, duties, rights and privileges (if any) of the club president are. Of course I have a rather general idea of the workings of a club cabinet, having been or still being a member of three of them myself (in our sister clubs), but in the actual grade of involvement in club affairs there are certain variations between the clubs, as there are regarding the role of the president within the cabinet.

In any case, from the other side of the fence, i.e. from the perspective of an ordinary member in this here club, I have really only the foggiest notion of what being president of this club involves. It is my impression that the commanders-in-chief have a rather strong position in the NWC, maybe similar to the ACWGC, certainly a lot more so than in the MBC, CCC or NCC where there is much more uniformity between the various club armies (navies). Is this perhaps the reason why, apparantely, none of them runs for president? I admit I also have no very good idea about the role of the other cabinet members (and none of them seems to run either?).

Again, this not meant to provoke. I would, however, appreciate a little information about the actual duties of the cabinet in general and the president in particular. If one of the present cabinet members could outline them briefly, I would be very grateful.

<center>
Général de Division D.S. "Green Horse" Walter
Baron d'Empire, Duc des Pyramides
Commandant de la [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/3_VI_AdR_Home.htm"]3ème Division[/url], VIème Corps Bavarois, L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant [url="http://mikedavies122863.tripod.com/index.htm"]L'Ecole de Mars[/url], L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant de la Brigade de Tirailleurs de la Jeune Garde
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:44 am 

Dierk...from the club rule itself:

Cabinet positions

THE CABINET

NWC Cabinet consists of 5 members, 3 Cabinet and 1 French CiC and Allied CiC. All Cabinet members are awarded 10 admin points per month.

Club President - Overall club organizer ensures the club is being managed correctly, looks to
resolve squabbles in a spirit of fairness.

Public Relations Officer - promotes the club to get new members.

Club Secretary - promotes the playing of games in the club, reviews new games and looks for balancing measures for current games (handicap points for one side).

All members are volunteers, voted in by the Cabinet or Membership.

Cabinet duties;
a) Approve promotions,
b) Settle game issue questions,
c) Multi Play rules interpretations,
d) Permit forum for officer grievances.

When a Cabinet member has a conflict of interest in regards to decisions
that affect his other duties, he will abstain from the vote.

A majority is required for all votes.

Cabinet Duties and Responsibilities

1. Club President:

(a) Overall coordinator for club activities. Sets the agenda for all meetings and directs the Cabinet in their duties. Assigns duties to Cabinet Members as required.

(b) Settles any disagreements between Cabinet members.

(c) Makes the final decision concerning rules discussions. Decides when discussion is done and calls for a vote. Counts the vote and announces the result.

2.Public Relations Officer

(a) Primary assistant to the President in his duties.

(b) Responsible for the maintenance of the rules and will draft any rules proposals made by the general membership or other cabinet members. Above all, he is the "rules lawyer" for the club. Should perform the role of "devils advocate" in any changes to the rules to ensure we are not endlessly changing the rules.

(c) Acts for the President in his absence if longer than one month.

(e) He should not be directly involved in the Club Newsletter or in battle result posting. However, he should provide information for inclusion in the Newsletter as needed.

3. Club Secretary:

(a) Responsible for anything that has to do with the playing of the games, rules, scenarios, etc..

(b) Establishes the conduct of Training games. CoA's/Corps Commanders conduct/manage such games. This can be delegated to Division commanders, but the Corps Commander is responsible for the selection of appropriate scenarios and approval of members advancing from training status to challenge status.

(c) Evaluates scenarios for appropriateness. Some TS scenarios are not well balanced. These should be evaluated based on personal experience and member input. Same with new scenarios. Just because someone had made a scenario, does not mean that it is worth posting and playing.

(d) Develop and maintain any standing or optional "house rules". If we use them, there must be a reason for them, and a way to monitor their implementation. Would adjudicate the application of these rules in any game sent up for appeal.

General Cabinet member duties

1. Is a member in Good Standing.

2. Attends all Cabinet meetings.

3. Performs assigned duties and any special duties assigned by the President.

4. Provides timely input on rules proposals (within 72 hours). Silence by a cabinet member, unless on approved absence, means consent to the proposal.

5. Provides the President with timely notice of absence.

But as to how much of this they actually do or what they do in general, I guess we should hear from Jim.

But I am almost certain that most of the duties are done by the French CiC and Allied CoA's and their assistants. I don't think this is a high needs club in terms of many drastic changes.

But maybe Jim or Ken or someone else can enlighten us...[:)]

<center>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[url="http://www.scott-ludwig.com"]<b>General der Infanterie Scott Ludwig</b>[/url]

Kommandeur
3. Infanterie-Brigade and Aide-du-Camp
I. Armee Korps
Heer am Niederrhein
[url="http://www.prussianarmy.com"]Preußische Armee[/url]

Kommandeur
Garde-Artillerie
[url="http://scott-ludwig.com/NWC/Prussia/Garde.htm"]Preußische Armee Garde-Brigade[/url]

Prinz von Saxe-Weimar
(Prince of Saxe-Weimar)
</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:36 pm 

Nice Picture Dierk! [;)]

<b><font color="gold">Lt. </b></font id="gold">Paul Wakeman
<font color="beige">2nd Light Rgt</font id="beige">
<font color="orange">2nd Brigade
22nd Saxon Division
<b>VII Saxon Corps</font id="orange">
<font color="red">Armée du Rhin (ADC)</b></font id="red">

Paul_Wakeman@yahoo.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:03 pm 

What does the President do?

Why he is the guy that turns the hamburgers at the annual NWC picnic!

He also gets to pitch one honorary inning in the NWC vs. CCC softball game.

Ok - I am sounding too American.

Oh yeah, he is Santa at the annual NWC Kids Christmas party! [:D]

And ... [:o)]

Oberst Wilhelm Peters
2nd Kuirassiers, Reserve Korps, Austrian Army
[url="http://www.acwgc.org/acwgc_members/burr/Austrian%20Army/Bill_Peters.htm"]Officer Battle Dossier[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:05 pm 
Thanks, gents.

I *would* love to hear something about the job from the present or former cabinet members.

<center>
Commandant de la [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/3_VI_AdR_Home.htm"]3ème Division[/url], VIème Corps Bavarois, L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant [url="http://mikedavies122863.tripod.com/index.htm"]L'Ecole de Mars[/url], L'Armée du Rhin
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:11 pm 

Dierk,
You should consider standing as a candidate too.

<center>Major Antony Barlow
~ 2nd British (Union) Brigade, Anglo-Allied Cavalry Corps ~
~ 4th (Royal Irish) Dragoon Guards ~
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:05 am 

He gets first pick of NWC groupies at Tillercon II?

<b>Général de Division Michael Cox</b>
<font size="4"><i>Principe <font size="1">della </font id="size1">Toscana</i></font id="size4">
Comte de Moselle
<i><font size="4">Armée du Rhin</font id="size4">
<font size="2">2e battallion, 1er Regiment de Chasseurs a Pied, Inf. de l'V. Gde.</i></font id="size2">

<font size="1"><u>In Regards to Skirmisher Flop by Melee Losers:</u>
<ul><li>Make it an optional rather than fixed rule (at the very least). </li>
<li>Skirmisher stack size relative to retreating formed unit should be a factor (whether in clear or covered terrain). </li>
<li>For skirmishers, (not leaders or wagons) covered terrain (swamp, building, city, town, forest, marsh, and perhaps orchard) should negate the overrun result.</li></font id="size1"> </ul>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:08 am 

Dierk
For myself as a Cabinet member I do as little as possible.[;)]
The Cabinet in my view is there to solve major problems, promote the Club and introduce innovations which will enrich the existing members enjoyment.
All the above are at a Club level, if the organisation is good enough the Armies solve most of thier problems internally.
The three regular Tournies MoE, Guards Challange and Young Sirs were all instigated by existing Cabinet Members.
Serious misconduct of any kind would also be investigated by The Cabinet.
The Corporate structure such as main Boards and Club Rules fall into the job discription too.
The "Job Disciption" posted from the Club site is very detailed but covers all that needs to be undertaken IF required
We keep in regular contact but work on the basis of "if its not broken dont fix it"
All Cabinet members are fairly active in their own Armies too[:D]

Field Marshal Sir "Lucky" Jim (K.G.)
Commander
Divisie Nederlandsche Kavallerie, 1st. Corps
Allied/Dutch Army
"And let my sword not sleep in my hand"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:50 am 
Thanks, Jim. That was indeed helpful.

<center>
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:57 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jim Hall</i>
<br />Dierk
For myself as a Cabinet member I do as little as possible.[;)]
The Cabinet in my view is there to solve major problems, promote the Club and introduce innovations which will enrich the existing members enjoyment.
All the above are at a Club level, if the organisation is good enough the Armies solve most of thier problems internally.
The three regular Tournies MoE, Guards Challange and Young Sirs were all instigated by existing Cabinet Members.
Serious misconduct of any kind would also be investigated by The Cabinet.
The Corporate structure such as main Boards and Club Rules fall into the job discription too.
The "Job Disciption" posted from the Club site is very detailed but covers all that needs to be undertaken IF required
We keep in regular contact but work on the basis of "if its not broken dont fix it"
All Cabinet members are fairly active in their own Armies too[:D]

Field Marshal Sir "Lucky" Jim (K.G.)
Commander
Divisie Nederlandsche Kavallerie, 1st. Corps
Allied/Dutch Army
"And let my sword not sleep in my hand"
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

As the first Allied CinC in the club that was pretty much my role as well. Vote when the Cabinet had meetings where a vote was needed, answer a question or two and help maintain communications with the other armies.

The Allied CinC in those days was pretty much an honorary role as the armies didnt have to send any promotion requests to him. He pretty much was just a rubber stamp man.

Oberst Wilhelm Peters
2nd Kuirassiers, Reserve Korps, Austrian Army
[url="http://www.acwgc.org/acwgc_members/burr/Austrian%20Army/Bill_Peters.htm"]Officer Battle Dossier[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:37 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Antony Barlow</i>
<br />Dierk,
You should consider standing as a candidate too.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I agree.

<font color="orange">Majoor Peter Robinson
Commander I Corps
[url="http://www.geocities.com/militaireacademie"]Koninklijke Militaire Academie[/url] Adjutant
3rd (Prince of Wales's) Dragoon Guards</font id="orange">