Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:24 am 

Good afternoon to all!

I am in the midst of creating an OOB for one of the famous battles. This is the first time I've used the OOB Editor for an HPS game (I've done it many times before with BG games). My question is as follows:

What is the equivalent supply strength points for an HPS Supply unit required to mimic the standard 6 strength points for a BG Supply unit? Is it 600? Or is it 300 (that's what the Eckmuhl OOB would suggest)?

I note that the OOB Editor only allow Supply units to have a maximum of 80 points (a bug that I guess needs to be addressed!)

Thanks for any input & guidance!

Lt. Tim Cavallin, AdR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:50 am 

HPS supply units are normally 300 strong - I suspect this is the equivalent of 6pts in BG. However, you might like to consider creating three times as many 100 (or twice as many 150) strong supplies instead - this will help clog up the roads! I've tried this in an OOB I've created for a scenario on the large Bavaria map and it works well.

Capt Rich White
4th Cavalry Brigade
Cavalry Corps
Anglo-Allied Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:39 am 

Actually there is no way to relate the two systems Tim.

BG - supply point resupplied ONE unit.

HPS - supply point resupplies 10 men.

So 300 points resupplies 3000 men. Its a 1:10 ratio.

If on the move I go with one wagon per formation.

If in a static role with plenty of ammo I go with a few extra wagons as if from a depot.

Oberst Wilhelm Peters
2nd Kuirassiers, Reserve Korps, Austrian Army
[url="http://www.acwgc.org/acwgc_members/burr/Austrian%20Army/Bill_Peters.htm"]Officer Battle Dossier[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:28 am 

Tim,
Make them as big as you want. I've a scenario where I made them 500 points because it was a HUGE scenario and there were already tons of units to move each turn.

Rick

<center>Capitaine Rick Motko
1er Bataillon, 33° Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne
2eme Brigade, 11eme division
IIIe corps, Armée du Nord</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:25 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Le Tondu</i>
<br />Tim,
Make them as big as you want. I've a scenario where I made them 500 points because it was a HUGE scenario and there were already tons of units to move each turn.

Rick

<center>Capitaine Rick Motko
1er Bataillon, 33° Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne
2eme Brigade, 11eme division
IIIe corps, Armée du Nord</center>
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

And it is a fun secnario indeed!! [:D][:D] My lines are insane and stretch for miles. I've got two armies too...I can only imagine what yours is like. [:)]

<center>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[url="http://www.scott-ludwig.com"]<b>General der Infanterie Scott Ludwig</b>[/url]

Kommandeur
3. Infanterie-Brigade and Aide-du-Camp
I. Armee Korps
Heer am Niederrhein
[url="http://www.prussianarmy.com"]Preußische Armee[/url]

Kommandeur
Garde-Artillerie
[url="http://scott-ludwig.com/NWC/Prussia/Garde.htm"]Preußische Armee Garde-Brigade[/url]

Prinz von Saxe-Weimar
(Prince of Saxe-Weimar)
</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:54 am 
Tim,

Small arms ammunition was carried in wagons that marched with the batteries, in many cases. So I have been putting a supply wagon 100 strong with each foot battery. Incidentally, I name them with the artillery train company assigned to the battery.

Then additional wagons are placed in corps and army level trains. These other two layers of supply may or may not be in a scenario depending upon the situation.

An additional benefit of doing this will be if John ever changes the way arty ammo is handled. hehehe...

al

Colonel (ret) Al Amos
1er Dragoons
AdN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:13 pm 

Supply wagon strengths are up to the designer. There is no one perfect formula. On occasion I think that one BIG wagon for each corps in some cases would be better. Less wagons to move around. Some have asked me to do that too. In the end its everyone's own choice. My post did not dicatate some formula that had to be adhered to. Do what you want - scenario design is very much fun.

Oberst Wilhelm Peters
2nd Kuirassiers, Reserve Korps, Austrian Army
[url="http://www.acwgc.org/acwgc_members/burr/Austrian%20Army/Bill_Peters.htm"]Officer Battle Dossier[/url]