Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:07 pm 

Ah yes. The rain. If the French select to enter on the left of the map, it's the Prussians who have to trudge all along the bottom of the map then upwards towards the advancing French. Only a few Belgians around to stop them. Even my patience has evaporated with that one. Historically accurate I'm sure but painful to play. So the rain hampers both sides.

The skirmisher optional rule. I'd never select that one. Bad as the current situation is in HPS with regards "flopping" or whatever, I can't bear a return to the Bg style of play. Keep the two types of game separate I think. I enjoy Bg as a different game.

Generalissimo
Opolchenie Korpus
Russian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:58 am 

Neville,

Go to the Info menau, then choose Weather Forcast...and that should tell you when the weather will change. If you have a problem send me a copy of the file at the Support AT hpssims.com account.

Rich

Maréchal Hamilton, Baron d'Barbancon
21st Division
VII Corps, ADR

Saxon Leib-Garde, de la Jeune Garde, Garde Impériale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:23 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Theron Lambert</i>
<br />Rich &/or Bill,

With regard to the skirmisher overrun rule, the problem that I and at least quite a few others had with it was more routing units overrunning skirmishers in the woods and such, not the fact that a retreating non-routed battalion of 800 men could crush 75 skirmishers in their path. It seems that the option to just turn off the rule goes a bit too far -- it eliminates the benefit of making players be reasonable in their use of skirmishers which was a good thing about the rule. Again, my problem was that a routing unit could take out a skirmish line in the woods, or a village. My personal preference would be forcing a melee between the retreating unit and the skirmisher -- if the retreating unit (modified as it normally would be for disorder, rout, isolation, etc.) wins then the skirmisher is pushed aside with appropriate losses and the retreat or rout continues. I realize, of course, that that is a programming issue, but since the melee program is already written it shouldn't be terribly difficult. Anyway, this is what I want and (speaking as someone that only owns Eckmuhl at the moment -- although I ordered Waterloo and am wondering if it shipped by carrier pigeon by way of Siberia) would be more inclined to pay for.

Regards,

General Theron Lambert
Comte d'Angers et Duc de Montereau
3rd Brigade, 3rd Division
VI Corps
Armee du Rhin
Commandant de la Division de Cavalerie de la Moyenne Garde

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Theron - send a note to John about this via Rich's tech support. The more folks that talk to John about having certain types of terrain like a chateau hex off limits to the rule the more chance we have of seeing it come into being.

We discussed this all at length. When I put the initial message to John and Rich I feel that I was way too broad in my approach. My idea was to make it harder for skirmishers to be overrun in certain types of terrain but not impossible. I probably hit John's timescale threshold with my concept and his response at this time was to give you guys the option of using the rule or not using the rule.

For now that suffices me and again, I ask you guys - please use the Tech Support email. I get comments all the time like "Well I like to post here and this and that" but if you dont email John via Rich with ideas then the guy that makes the decisions in the end will never hear from you. I tire of trying to convince John that you guys want something when he has never heard from you on it.

So ... I will NEVER campaign for any change in this engine again without the weight of emails from gamers. Its not right to expect Rich and I to put up a suggestion that will help YOU the gamer if we dont have the firepower of say 20-30 emails to back it up.

Why should Rich or I champion a cause, send John 3-5 emails on a subject when he hasnt heard from you guys on it?

Rich is in charge of the Tech Support. Like Glenn Saunders he hears alot of ideas on the boards but many folks dont back it up with a simple email.

I remember one change I wanted in the past. John wouldnt go for it. Then ONE guy emailed John basically backing up the idea. In two days I had a new engine with the code change.

Now whoa - I am not saying that your emails will definitely mean that a change WILL happen. I am saying that it gives us firepower when we go to John for a change. OR He sends me a new engine with a note saying "Try this out - the guys have been asking for .... " - I give it whirl and we are in business.

Sometimes I get an engine with a change that doesnt seem to fix the problem. This may be one of them but for some guys at this stage of the game they wanted to at least have the option to avoid using the rule even if it meant re-adopting House Rules to enforce proper melee ediquette.

In the end - John had three other series that needed changes at this point. This is not the end of the matter I hope. Send in your view of the new fix. Let John know how you feel.

My original idea was a bit too broad. If we can narrow it down to chateau hexes that will really help. Get those terrain types to be off limits to overruns.

OR

Give it a percentage value based on the size of the unit making the overrun vs. the defenders in the hex.

Now in the end guys - we all know that if you make the attack you can almost with a certainty determine the hex that the unit will retreat to. One reason why I wont push too much on this is that the Attacker can know where the defender will retreat to based on some basic rules which we have posted before.

If you need those retreat rules posted again to help you out let me know. I have them in text form and plan on putting a full blown webpage together. They are based on the Weak ZOC rule being in effect.

Rich rightly pointed out that we see far too many losses in the battles. The Skirmisher Overrun rule was put into effect to stop the practice of folks using skirmishers to surround large battalians. Yes, small groups of men are just as hard to remove at times but frankly I prefer the good than the bad of the rule.

The Attacker makes the choice - to attack or not to attack. Thus if he attacks and a skirmisher gets overrun in a chateau hex then it wasnt the fault of the game or the Defender!

On the other hand, time permitting, we will try and get something done to protect the chateau hexes at least.

I will not press for woods as the term usually meant wood lot. These are normally not dense woods on our maps.

And yes, one suggestion I made long ago was to have the skirmishers/leaders (not wagons) displaced rather than eliminated. This saves on casualties too. This didnt fly.

If you like that concept then be heard - send John an email.

But dont expect me to champion a cause based on Tavern postings.

Oberst Wilhelm Peters
2nd Kuirassiers, Reserve Korps, Austrian Army
[url="http://www.acwgc.org/acwgc_members/burr/Austrian%20Army/Bill_Peters.htm"]Officer Battle Dossier[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:11 am 

Maybe has it still been sighted [:I], but since this patch, the movement cost for cav and inf in column is 2 on pike and road, 3 for path. Previously 1 and 2 (not sure). Parameter data is still showing 1 (pike and road) and 2 (path).
The max movement allowance has not changed. So ... [?]
It's not very rapid ... [V]

<font color="orange">1e Luitenant Valère Bernard </font id="orange">
<font color="red">Anglo-Allied Administrative Adjutant</font id="red">
<font color="orange">Divisie Nederlandsche Kavallerie
I Corps
Anglo-Allied Army
</font id="orange">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:39 am 

Valère,

Send me a copy of the game file to Support@hpssims.com

Regards,
Rich

21st Division
VII Corps, ADR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:32 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by valere5</i>
<br />Maybe has it still been sighted [:I], but since this patch, the movement cost for cav and inf in column is 2 on pike and road, 3 for path. Previously 1 and 2 (not sure). Parameter data is still showing 1 (pike and road) and 2 (path).
The max movement allowance has not changed. So ... [?]
It's not very rapid ... [V]

You sure it's not weather-related? Sounds like mud to me.

<center>
D.S. "Green Horse" Walter, Maréchal d'Empire
Baron d'Empire, Duc des Pyramides
Commandant de la [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/3_VI_AdR_Home.htm"]3ème Division[/url], VIème Corps Bavarois, L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/EdM_start.htm"]L'Ecole de Mars[/url], L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant de la Brigade de Tirailleurs de la Jeune Garde
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:33 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D.S. Walter</i>

You sure it's not weather-related? Sounds like mud to me.

Yeah !!! Of course ! [:I][:I][:I]"current weather : Heavyrain-mud"[:D]
Sorry boys, it's the first time I played with it since the installation of the patch ... Not have had the reflex yet to look at weather forecast.[8)]

Is the change of weather should be announced in the command report at the beginning of each turn ? [?]

Rich,
thanks for proposal, but I have solved the problem so no need to send the file [;)]

<font color="orange">1e Luitenant Valère Bernard </font id="orange">
<font color="red">Anglo-Allied Administrative Adjutant</font id="red">
<font color="orange">Divisie Nederlandsche Kavallerie
I Corps
Anglo-Allied Army
</font id="orange">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:25 am 

No weather changes are not announced, they just occur...you can however go to the Info menu, and then choose Weather Forcast, to see when it will be changing, and what the percentage chance of that change is...

Make sure and check that...I had to fix another game file for some guys that went to 3 hex vis. and would be that way for a day and a half...so this new feature can be odd, but it is easily correctable.

21st Division
VII Corps, ADR