Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Logo on the forum page
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:02 pm 

Hi..

Was looking at the logo on our forum page ( the one with Napoleon surrounded by the flags ) and was wondering what countries the flags represented and were I could get pics of each flag..

Monsieur le Marechal John Corbin
Chief of Staff
La Grande Armee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:14 pm 

Try here: http://www.warflag.com/napflags/index.htm

<font color="orange">Majoor Peter Robinson
Commander I Corps
[url="http://www.geocities.com/militaireacademie"]Koninklijke Militaire Academie[/url] Adjutant
3rd (Prince of Wales's) Dragoon Guards</font id="orange">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:27 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SansSouci</i>
<br />Try here: http://www.warflag.com/napflags/index.htm

<font color="orange">Majoor Peter Robinson
Commander I Corps
[url="http://www.geocities.com/militaireacademie"]Koninklijke Militaire Academie[/url] Adjutant
3rd (Prince of Wales's) Dragoon Guards</font id="orange">
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thansk...

I am aware of teh obvious allies of France

Naples
Italy
Westfalia

but who are the others ?

Chief of Staff
La Grande Armee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:48 pm 

Portugal-Bottom Right
French Controlled Netherlands 1806-1810-Bottom Left
Spain-3rd Last Right
Poland-Middle (4) Left
A few different version of French standards. Top (1) left 2nd Last Left.

Not sure what 2nd last right is...my best guess is Sweden.

<center>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[url="http://www.scott-ludwig.com"]<b>General der Infanterie Scott Ludwig</b>[/url]

Kommandeur
3. Infanterie-Brigade and Aide-du-Camp
I. Armee Korps
Heer am Niederrhein
[url="http://www.prussianarmy.com"]Preußische Armee[/url]

Kommandeur
Garde-Artillerie
[url="http://scott-ludwig.com/NWC/Prussia/Garde.htm"]Preußische Armee Garde-Brigade[/url]

Prinz von Saxe-Weimar
(Prince of Saxe-Weimar)
</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:28 pm 
France (later pattern)
Italy
Wesphalia
Poland
Naples
France (early pattern)
Holland

England
Austria
Russia
Prussia
Spain
Sweden
Portugal

Colonel (ret) Al Amos
1er Dragoons
AdN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:50 pm 

Al,

Heresy I say! Heresy, heresy, heresy [V][V][V]

The English flag is a red cross on a white background. The flag top right is the flag of the United Kingdom, derived from the following flags:-

England: Red cross on white background
Scotland: White (diagonal) cross on blue background
Ireland: Red (diagonal) cross on white background

This is why it is known as the Union flag, or Union Jack.

The individual flags are named after the patron saint of each country, England (St. George), Scotland (St. Andrew) and Ireland (St. Patrick).

Regards

Mark
VII Corps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:17 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Al Amos</i>
<br />France (later pattern)
Italy
Wesphalia
Poland
Naples
France (early pattern)
Holland

England
Austria
Russia
Prussia
Spain
Sweden
Portugal

Colonel (ret) Al Amos
1er Dragoons
AdN
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Ah, a Swedish army in the club .... sheer delight. Hoping to see one someday ... We gotta stock the ones we have first and then think about it but ... ah!

Oberst Wilhelm Peters
2nd Kuirassiers, Reserve Korps, Austrian Army
[url="http://www.acwgc.org/acwgc_members/burr/Austrian%20Army/Bill_Peters.htm"]Officer Battle Dossier[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:10 am 
Mark,

A rose by any other name still needs fertilizer. [:D]

Colonel (ret) Al Amos
1er Dragoons
AdN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:57 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mark Eason</i>
<br />Al,

Heresy I say! Heresy, heresy, heresy [V][V][V]

The English flag is a red cross on a white background. The flag top right is the flag of the United Kingdom ... <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

True enough, but in most countries it's established custom to say England and mean the UK. Reckon it is because language usage has longer-term roots and does not always take account of newer constitutional developments right away. In Germany, it has become acceptable even in academic literature to write of "England" and mean the UK. The best that you can get is usually "Großbritannien" (Great Britain); "Vereinigtes Königreich" is rather unwieldy and hardly ever used. Nor do I think that Frenchmen often talk about "Le Royaume Uni" when there's "L'Angleterre" and "Grande-Bretagne" to choose from. And even the British don't seem to speak of "Britain" quite so often as they used to ... of course "the UK" is a convenient shortcut to rather the same end. (And YES I do know that the UK includes (Northern) Ireland.)

<center>
D.S. "Green Horse" Walter, Maréchal d'Empire
Baron d'Empire, Duc des Pyramides
Commandant de la [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/3_VI_AdR_Home.htm"]3ème Division[/url], VIème Corps Bavarois, L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/EdM_start.htm"]L'Ecole de Mars[/url], L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant de la Brigade de Tirailleurs de la Jeune Garde
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:13 am 
Not to mention that "United Kingdom" is rather counter-intuitive as it does not have the actual name of the country in it but rather denotes only the constitutional form. It's the same as with the "United States" ... so, which united states are those? The United States of Mexico, by any chance (Estados Unidos Mexicanos)? The United States of Brazil (Estados Unidos do Brasil)? Or the now defunct United States of Indonesia? I bet there are other united kingdoms on earth than just the one of Great Britain and (Northern) Ireland. It's a bit like expecting everyone to guess that the "Royal Navy" is the Royal *British* Navy.

And btw how often, before 1989, did you just say, wrongly, "West Germany" when what you should have said is "The Federal Republic of Germany"? [;)]

<center>
D.S. "Green Horse" Walter, Maréchal d'Empire
Baron d'Empire, Duc des Pyramides
Commandant de la [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/3_VI_AdR_Home.htm"]3ème Division[/url], VIème Corps Bavarois, L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/EdM_start.htm"]L'Ecole de Mars[/url], L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant de la Brigade de Tirailleurs de la Jeune Garde
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:55 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D.S. Walter</i>
<br />Not to mention that "United Kingdom" is rather counter-intuitive as it does not have the actual name of the country in it but rather denotes only the constitutional form.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I beg to differ. United Kingdom is an abbreviation of the original "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". Clearly this is a bit of a mouthfull and, as is usual, it has with time become abridged to simply United Kingdom, or UK. The UK was established in 1801 following the Irish Union.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">It's the same as with the "United States" ... so, which united states are those? The United States of Mexico, by any chance (Estados Unidos Mexicanos)? The United States of Brazil (Estados Unidos do Brasil)? Or the now defunct United States of Indonesia? I bet there are other united kingdoms on earth than just the one of Great Britain and (Northern) Ireland.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Same applies. It is the United States of America, only the fact that there is no ambiguity allows it to be shortened to the United States as everyone knows where this relates to.

None of which has anything to do with the original point, which is that the flag shown on the image is that of the United Kingdom and not that of England. It is akin to saying that the Stars and Stripes (the flag of the United States of America, in case there is another stars and stripes of which I am not familiar), is the state flag of Texas, or that the European flag is the French flag.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">And btw how often, before 1989, did you just say, wrongly, "West Germany" when what you should have said is "The Federal Republic of Germany"? [;)]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Germany? Where's that? Is it somewhere near Saxony; or would it be closer to Westphalia [8D]

Mark
VII Corps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:35 am 
"...Stars and Stripes .... is the state flag of Texas..."

Don't ask a Texian that question! [:p]

Colonel (ret) Al Amos
1er Dragoons
AdN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:34 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D.S. Walter</i>

True enough, but in most countries it's established custom to say England and mean the UK. Reckon it is because language usage has longer-term roots and does not always take account of newer constitutional developments right away. In Germany, it has become acceptable even in academic literature to write of "England" and mean the UK.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That is as maybe. It is the case in England that people often use the word English, when they mean British. This is particulalry galling to those of Scotland, Ireland and Wales, when, for example, competing at the Olympics for Great Britain, that they are referred to as English. It is incorrect and would be the same as me referring to all Germans as Hanoverians or Saxons[:0].

But that is neither here nor there. It is a point of fact that the flag shown on the NWC logo is that of the United Kingdom, first issued in 1801. The English flag, lest anyone has forgotten, looks like this:

<center>Image</center>
Following the ascent of James VI of Scotand to the English throne in 1603, the process of Union of England and Scotland was started and the original Union flag was issued:

<center>Image</center>
In 1801, following the Irish union, the flag of the United kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, as carried by the British army, (there is no longer an English army), was amended to that shown on the NWC logo:

<center>Image</center>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The best that you can get is usually "Großbritannien" (Great Britain); "Vereinigtes Königreich" is rather unwieldy and hardly ever used.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

British would be a more accurate terminology, although in Northern Ireland this would not be strictly correct as the provinces are not part of Great Britain, but are part of the United Kindom of Great Britain and Ireland. There are places where people are still sensitive to these matters.

I am sure that the men of the Iniskilling regiment, the Scots greys, the Welsh fusiliers, the Gordon Highlanders etc would turn in their graves to learn that they were now considered to be English rather than British. Their national identity deleted at the stroke of a pen. Even today, with the amalgamation of regiments in the British army, their are considerable sensitivities that must be observed in order to ensure that the traditions and history of the regional regiments is maintained. This is particularly so for the Scottish regiments.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Nor do I think that Frenchmen often talk about "Le Royaume Uni" when there's "L'Angleterre" and "Grande-Bretagne" to choose from.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The French are probably more precise in their terminology than even the British. For centuries they fought against the English, sometimes in alliance with the Scottish or Irish, but invariably against the English. This closer affinity with the other nations of the United Kingdom makes me suspect that they would be more correct in their terminology than others might be, particularly in relation to the Scottish and Irish.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">And even the British don't seem to speak of "Britain" quite so often as they used to ... of course "the UK" is a convenient shortcut to rather the same end. (And YES I do know that the UK includes (Northern) Ireland.)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Indeed not. The Scottish will speak of Scotland, the Irish of Ireland and the Welsh of Wales, each of which has its own elected national assembly or parliament. The only nation of the United Kingdom that does not have this is England. Yes the government of the United Kingdom, with representatives from all nations, is based in England, but that is for the governance of the United Kingdom. England alone, of the nations, has no national assembly of its own. I raise this to explain why now more and more you will probably hear people of England referring to England rather than Britain, just as people of the other nations have always referred to their own nation.

I am interested by the use of the term England in Germany to represent the United Kingdom (UK), or Great Britain (GB). France is an old country and had dealings with the individual nations before the Union took place. Germany on the other hand is a comparatively new country and has only ever had dealings with the British. So I find it curious that the Germans should use the term English to designate all of us, having only ever dealt with us after the Union, at which point dealings would have been with the British government rather than the English.

Anyhow, aside from all that, the easiest way to tell the difference between the nations is not from their flags, but from their appearance. A Scotsman, for example, is of course, the most easily recognised:

<center>Image</center>

Regards

Mark
VII Corps (Saxon, neither German, nor European[;)])

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:06 am 

OK.. lets get back on topic..

I need a pic for the Polish flag..

can someone please send it to me..

Chief of Staff
La Grande Armee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:48 am 

Dierk is correct in that many peoples have for a long time conveniently labelled all British as English when talking of the whole, and this is maybe because England often tended to be the dominant political entity within these islands with the greatest share of the population, and where the centre of power came to rest. The English Language might have something to do with it too. It's incorrect and seen as insulting to labels Scots and Welsh as English but I reckon many an Englishman in the past was happy with foreigners making this generalisation as it reinforced this idea of English domination. Wellington was from Ireland (albeit of the anglo-irish elite) but resolutely identified himself as an Englishman. So I don't think we can attach all the blame to other countries for this 'error'.

Although I'm proud to be English I actually prefer to think of myself as British most of the time (unless I'm following a sporting event where the British nations have their own teams, in which case I'm forced to be English[:D]). British is a much older term and I rather like that. The term 'British' of course goes way beyond the political union of recent centuries, and before the formation of English, Welsh and Scottish identities and the migrations of peoples and cultures that gave rise to these terms. The Romans called our land Britannia and the geographer Claudius Ptolemaeus talked of 'Hibernia island of Britannia' (Ireland) and 'Albion island of Britannia' (the <i>British</i> bit).

Mark, I actually think the pre 1801 flag is nicer to look at and I've never understood why the opposite lengths of the St Patrick saltire on the 'modern' flag don't line up properly, although I still get annoyed when I see the Union Flag displayed upside down - that was the big no no when I was a boy scout and had to attach the thing to the flag pole.[:D] Right, I've gone off at a tangent and will stop[:D]

<center>Major Antony Barlow
~ 2nd British (Union) Brigade, Anglo-Allied Cavalry Corps ~
~ 4th (Royal Irish) Dragoon Guards ~
Image</center>