Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Crown of Glory Question
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:24 am 

Gentlemen

A question for the owners of Crown of Glory.

I note from the game's Board that a patch 1.1 was recently released.

There seems to be a 1.2 in the pipe line.

Are these patchs minor adjustments or are there any major flaws.

My games Budget is overspent but having read the posts on the Club Boards I am very tempted but may delay till teething has been achieved

Field Marshal Sir "Lucky" Jim (K.G.)
Commander 2nd. Corps
Allied/Dutch Army
"And let my sword not sleep in my hand"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:12 am 

Jim

At present the game is really designed to be played against AI opponents to get the full benefit of it, at both the strategic / tactical levels.

I guess it could be played as a hot seat game, but how many of us live in communes with enough other like-minded individuals to keep a game going[;)]

PBEM functionality was, I believe, added as an after-thought. The strategic level still works in terms of managing your kingdom / empire's economy, development and diplomacy. You can also send your armies off to war. But the tactical level is closed to you completely. You just get a report of what happened, in fact I am sure one turn my report for the previous month indicated combats involving my units that they were nowhere near !?! Not to worry though, I think I won those battles [:)]

Whether they will enhance the PBEM functionality (I think they were surprised by the demand for it), or not remains to be seen,

Patches for the game so far are addressing numerous small problems, so far - though the email game has got through 3 months with no glitches so far.

If I get a chance at the weekend I'll send you over my disc so you can see what you think. I wouldn't jump up and down to recommend it as a must have game at this stage. Beware, it takes ages to start up and it's very hard to have both the manual and game open simultaneously - which makes for a challenge.

What do others think?

Regards

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:39 am 

Mark does makes a good report, the day that I knewn that in the option PBEM, the tactical level is closed I was very but very sad [:(]for a large time, this level is very good to challenge against a human opponent in detail battle screen

http://www.venezuela-emb.org.au/images/flag.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:51 am 

Thanks Mark

That may put a different slant on my purchase and subject to further comments my opinion on its inclusion in the Club.

A little concerned that a few may try to proselytise the otherwise moribund membership with a seriously flawed pbem game[;)]

However does it really matter, if it is flawed and added to the Club list but few people play it no real harm done.

Still feel, for all the comments Battleground and in the future HPS will be the mainstay of the Club[:)]

Commander 2nd. Corps
Allied/Dutch Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:19 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jim Hall</i>
That may put a different slant on my purchase and subject to further comments my opinion on its inclusion in the Club.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Having never been too concerned about points, rank etc. I would look to add this game but keep it separate if that makes sense. Not necessarily as a ladder, but some form of table of who has done best with which country, in which game. I certainly can't think of a reasonable way of equating the performance of a weak Turkey to that of a strong France in a short game for instance.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">A little concerned that a few may try to proselytise the otherwise moribund membership with a seriously flawed pbem game[;)]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I think Gabriel may understand this better than me, it's certainly not a language I recognise - though some of those words may have appeared on <i>Call my bluff</i> recently [:D][:D][:D]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">However does it really matter, if it is flawed and added to the Club list but few people play it no real harm done.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I have no preference.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Still feel, for all the comments Battleground and in the future HPS will be the mainstay of the Club[:)]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I think that's probably the case, easy comparable scoring mechanisms allow this. Anything else is a headache!

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:44 am 

Nice one Mark [;)]
Too much "red" makes me run of at the mouth[:o)]

Commander 2nd. Corps
Allied/Dutch Army