Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:27 pm 
I have a faint recollection that in the BG games, unlike HPS, the effect of a square in resisting cavalry charges was negated by the presence of other units, even artillery. Is that so, or not? Thanks in advance.

<center>
D.S. "Green Horse" Walter, Maréchal d'Empire
Duc des Pyramides, Comte de Normandie
Commandant la [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/3_VI_AdR_Home.htm"]3e Division Bavaroise[/url], L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/EdM_start.htm"]L'Ecole de Mars[/url], L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant la Brigade de Tirailleurs de la Jeune Garde
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:17 am 
I think a later patch after the 32 bit game came out fixed that.

Colonel Al Amos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:07 am 

Al is right, at least for Waterloo.

Generalissimo
Opolchenie Korpus
Russian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:27 am 

From bgw.txt:

<font color="yellow">Changes for BGW 2.03:
* Skirmishers do not negate the defensive effect of squares when
charged by cavalry.</font id="yellow">

There was no mention of this in the text files for 32 bit NIR but it could be the same as for Waterloo? I still think that artillery stacked with square negates the defensive effect of squares though. That was always my assumption, although I haven't played much Battleground lately.

<center>[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/Napoleonic/nap.htm"]Lieutenant Colonel Antony Barlow[/url]
~ [url="http://www.geocities.com/anglo_allied_army_stats/Anglo_Allied_Army_Cavalry_Corps.htm"]2nd British (Union) Brigade, Anglo-Allied Cavalry Corps[/url] ~
~ [url="http://www.geocities.com/militaireacademie/dragoons.html"]4th (Royal Irish) Dragoon Guards[/url] ~
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:40 am 

In BG games with the 32 bit patch:

The presence of skirmishers and wagons does NOT negate the square's defense vs. cav;

Artillery DOES negate the square's defensive ability.

Regards,

Paco

<i>Maréchal</i> M. Francisco Palomo
<i>Grande Duc d'Abrantes
Comte de Marseille
Commandant - Division de Cavalerie de la Vieille Garde </i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:44 am 
Thank you, Gentlemen.

Maréchal le Duc des Pyramides

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:26 am 

Gentlemen

May I respectfully suggest that before posting, you test these features of the game - it takes less time than to type the reply.

The presence of a supply wagon does negate the defensive benefit of a square, just as a supply wagon in the same hex as cavalry means that cavalry will get the x3 melee strength bonus for charging against cavalry stacked with a supply wagon.

The most unusual are the cossacks where a whole host of strange factors apply. For example, the charge bonus does not apply against good order infantry, irrespective of the infantry formation; but, stack a skirmisher with them and the charge bonus applies (unless the battalion is in square, in which case it does not).

There are a number of other anomolies that apply to cossacks that you might discover through experimentation.

Regards

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:36 am 

Incidentally, the facing of a wagon has no effect on flank modifiers.

<font color="orange">Luitenant-colonel Peter Robinson
Commander I Corps
[url="http://www.geocities.com/militaireacademie"]Koninklijke Militaire Academie[/url] Adjutant
Royal Horse Guards Blue</font id="orange">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:06 pm 
"May I respectfully suggest that before posting, you test these features of the game - it takes less time than to type the reply."

Mark! Don't tell me the next thing you'll be asking is for us to think before we speak (type)!! What are you thinking man? [:D][:p]

Colonel Al Amos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:33 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mark Eason</i>
<br />Gentlemen

May I respectfully suggest that before posting, you test these features of the game - it takes less time than to type the reply.

The presence of a supply wagon does negate the defensive benefit of a square, just as a supply wagon in the same hex as cavalry means that cavalry will get the x3 melee strength bonus for charging against cavalry stacked with a supply wagon.

The most unusual are the cossacks where a whole host of strange factors apply. For example, the charge bonus does not apply against good order infantry, irrespective of the infantry formation; but, stack a skirmisher with them and the charge bonus applies (unless the battalion is in square, in which case it does not).

There are a number of other anomolies that apply to cossacks that you might discover through experimentation.

Regards

Mark
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Bru ha ha ha!!! Mad Mark has his laboratory going full blast!

"Igor, the Cossack juice, the Cossack juice!"

Good catch Mark. I well remember the first time I got hit by Cossacks and found out this slick little trick about the skirmishers giving them the bonus. Took out a key section of my line.

Bill Peters
Former NWC President, Club Founder, Prussian and Austrian Army Founder

[url="http://www.fireandmelee.net"]Fire and Melee Wargame site[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:26 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Al Amos</i>
Mark! Don't tell me the next thing you'll be asking is for us to think before we speak (type)!! What are you thinking man? [:D][:p]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Good catch Al,

You got me with my scratchy head on - again [:D][:D]

Regards

Mark[V]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:28 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
Bru ha ha ha!!! Mad Mark has his laboratory going full blast!

"Igor, the Cossack juice, the Cossack juice!"

Good catch Mark. I well remember the first time I got hit by Cossacks and found out this slick little trick about the skirmishers giving them the bonus. Took out a key section of my line.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes it's the only time it can be better to melee skirmishers than over-run them with a charge. Melee them so that they are pushed back into a hex with a battalion, then get the charge bonus against the battalion - cheesy, I know, but this is war [:D]

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:08 pm 

I dunno. Giving away the secrets of the cossacks.[V]

Generalissimo
Opolchenie Korpus
Russian Army