Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:27 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by etrapanob</i>
<br />

Rick how can you call your cats Scooter and Tucker?? The poor cats... have you ever thought that these poor creatures have to live with those names?I mean can you imagine your poor cats have just been put out for the night and they meet up with some really hot little Siames Cat chicks...The galls from the far east ask "Hi im Emerald and this is my friend Diamond what are your names?" and your cats answer "SCOOTER AND TUCKER" holy cow Rick take your cats down to the local "change your cats names office" and rechristen them,hey you could call one of them "Battleground" thats a great name for a cat[:D]

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Andy,
Believe me, we tried for a month to name this little guy. His original name was the exact same name as the cat we lost the week before and there was only one "Boogie".

He was a rescued kitty and all he wanted to do was scoot all over the place, so it stuck and we called him "Scooter".

Hey, they're smart cats and they know their names. He h

To make this germaine to our hobby, I have to reveal that "Scooter" in another life was calmly sitting next to Napoleon when he kicked the living daylights out of the Russians at Friedland in 1807. He witnessed it all. [;)]

Cheers,
Rick

Colonel Rick Motko
1er Bataillon, 33° Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne
2eme Brigade, 11eme division
IIIe corps, Armée du Nord

Vive l'Empereur!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:24 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Le Tondu</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by etrapanob</i>
<br />

Rick how can you call your cats Scooter and Tucker?? The poor cats... have you ever thought that these poor creatures have to live with those names?I mean can you imagine your poor cats have just been put out for the night and they meet up with some really hot little Siames Cat chicks...The galls from the far east ask "Hi im Emerald and this is my friend Diamond what are your names?" and your cats answer "SCOOTER AND TUCKER" holy cow Rick take your cats down to the local "change your cats names office" and rechristen them,hey you could call one of them "Battleground" thats a great name for a cat[:D]

Andy,
Believe me, we tried for a month to name this little guy. His original name was the exact same name as the cat we lost the week before and there was only one "Boogie".

He was a rescued kitty and all he wanted to do was scoot all over the place, so it stuck and we called him "Scooter".

Hey, they're smart cats and they know their names. He h

To make this germaine to our hobby, I have to reveal that "Scooter" in another life was calmly sitting next to Napoleon when he kicked the living daylights out of the Russians at Friedland in 1807. He witnessed it all. [;)]

Cheers,
Rick

Colonel Rick Motko

Oh Rick mate the tears are streaming down my face,i havent cried this much since i saw Shenandoah ,the film with James Stewart AAAAAGGGHHH
The bit where his youngest son hobbles into the church at the end.Oh man i cried my eyes out ,i still do its so gooey:-))
Hey how many of you guys have seen that film and cried,be honest now?.Now to keep this Napoleonic how many of you guys spotted 12 pounders on the Reb side during the film???
Vive l'Empereur!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:14 am 

I think its a great idea that the guys at HPS show themselves and their familys,even their pets,it shows they are human,i like that kind of quality in people.Its nice to know there are real people out there making an honest living ,enjoying what they do and providing other people with the best they can give.Ive alwasy been a strong believer that honest people should show themselves in a club with a photo.It gives a club real character and lets face it if your honest you shouldnt be afraid to show yourself .A lot of the guys i know in the Napoleonic World exist.I respect those guys.
Honesty is always the best way in life.I work for the church so i have it rammed down my throat everyday,<font size="5">Al you have mis-judged me</font id="size5">:-)) mate ,I understand why HPS show simple normal pics of themselves and their pets,its a great idea even if some of you guys laugh..it shows that they are real humans not just a flashy firm title.I like the idea, at least i know my money is helping to create jobs.So what the hell if someone gets rich through my money.If the guy or lady is honest and works hard they deserve it.In the end the person who earns big money creates jobs right?Hey Napoleon made jobs right? He wasnt always rich right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:17 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by etrapanob</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SLudwig</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by John Corbin</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Hey Rick,
i love cats mate.We have two, Findus and Micky.You may laugh at HPS but cats and perhaps other animals have a very positive influence on human biengs.I know when im really stressed just lying down next to Findus and talking to him really brings me back down to earth.(you all think im nuts now dont you?)Cats can help you relax.There is nothing better than sitting in front of the fire listening to soothing music and having a nice warm ***** on your lap[:)]Seriously my cat keeps me fit.

You are only crazy if you think your cat talks back to you [:p]

Monsieur le Marechal Baron John Corbin
Duc de Paive
Commanding the Division de Cavalerie de la Jeune Garde
NWC President

John,

And this is the reason why Andy Barnes' is the[url="http://napoleonicwargaming.com"]1NWCG's[/url]</center> best kept secret and an unoffical club perk...[:D][:p][}:)]

He maybe gruff sometimes, tough on the language, but it is these random one zinger off the wall stories and stuff that he tells that are the reason why we all keep coming back to our forum. Colorful, funny but a decent kind hearted man, with a Welsh flair, our club would hardly be anything without him. [:D][:p][}:)]

Andy you are beloved by so many in our realm, I think even more than Roise the barmaid...[:D][8D][:p]

Seriously though Andy thanks for all the good memories and the hard work, I really can't wait to met you in person in real life. [:D][:p] All I can say is 2015 Waterloo, be there or be square. [:D]

<center>--------------------------------------------------------

Herr Windbagenführer General der Infanterie Scott Prinz Ludwig von Saxe-Weimar
Aide-du-Kamp and Webmaster
Heer am Niederrhein

[url="http://www.prussianarmy.com/"]Königliche Preußische Armee[/url]

[url="http://www.networkforgood.org"]Network for Good[/url]

[url="http://napoleonicwargaming.com"]Napoleonic Wargaming - 1NWCG[/url][/center]

Holy Cow Scott im going to be 65 in 2015 [:I]But if im alive and kicking and havent been locked away for bieng senile,ill be there mate.
Hey how many of us are, or if in good health by that time are gonna be alive? Big issue how many cats are going to be alive.My Findus might just make it.
The only reason i didnt name my cat Napoleon was my kids.They said to me Dad youd look so dumb standing on the porch at night shouting
" Napoleon NAPOLEON here Napoleon HERE NAPPY NAPPY NAPPY" ...we all do it guys!!! dont mock me.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Oh cripe Barnes are we gonna have to get a wheelchair for you and have Wipy wheel you around the battlefield...

Lol I will be an old man too...not as old as you though...[;)][}:)][:p][:D]

But man you only be so lucky to be there for the 200th anniversay!! Maybe it will be a peaceful occasion unlike the 100th when WWI was going on....

Heer am Niederrhein

[url="http://napoleonicwargaming.com"]Napoleonic Wargaming - 1NWCG[/url]</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:29 pm 
"Al you have mis-judged me:-)) mate" - Andy Barnes

Andy,

Perhaps so, but only because you have misrepresented yourself. I can only judge as to what type a man is by his actions and his words.

So, as the fruit of an apple tree is appealing, that of a crab-apple tree isn't. From a distance we can see that the trees are bearing fruit, but upon closer inspection we find one is good to eat, the other not.

So it is when meeting other people. I saw your work on "Eagle", and thought it is good, and thought you would be a person I would want to associate with, but then as I read through your posts I saw your 'fruit' (words) was rotten, and I do not wish to talk that way or be around when that style of talk is being used.

I think those that do desire a higher level of behaviour too, often cave in and accept 'poor' behaviour because it is Andy, or Al, or someone else. I think it would be better to stick to that higher standard. I am sure we will be surprised as to how many we can lift up as opposed to allowing ourselves to be dragged down.

And lastly to stay on topic, "Hypothetical Map." [:D]

Colonel Al Amos
1erè Brigade Commandant
2ème Division de Dragons

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:52 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Le Tondu</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
<br />

I love cats! Yeah, call me a cool cat! [:p]

.............So I got in my one criticism of any game that is turn based and has a static map. I am not criticising any game that is like Combat Mission where ALOT of things move but for the Matrix games that is my one pet peeve.......

A WINDOW is a must. Pass that along to Tim and Frank if you get a chance. I would rate no turn based game any higher than 7 that is NOT in a WINDOW. Sorry but them are the facts. We all have our own opinion and that is mine.

Otherwise - bring on the games. This is the NWC and whatever is best for the members has got to be ok with me.

Bill Peters
Former NWC President, Club Founder, Prussian and Austrian Army Founder, Stefan Reuter's hunting buddy. HPS Napoleonic Scenario Designer (Eckmuhl, Wagram)

[url="http://www.fireandmelee.net"]Fire and Melee Wargame site[/url]

Bill,

Cats are the best. They teach us a lot if you're willing to learn from them. [:)]

Thanks for the history lesson about the HPS games.

I completely understand that a window is a must for any turn based game. With multi-tasking what it is these days, many programs can be running at one time. Email, HPS: Waterloo, MS Word, Internet Express, etc..... I'm with you there. [:)]

Did you know that Combat Mission acts like it is playing in its own window. All you have to do is hit something like the escape key and you are quickly back at the desktop. With CMAK, there is an undocumented hotkey combination where you have to hit the following three keys "Alt-Shift-;" (once) to turn it on. Hit them again to turn it off. It will stay the way that you select even after you turn the game off. I think this has something to do with Combat Mission being designed on the Mac.

Andy,

When we adopted our cats, we had to promise to keep them as indoor kittys. So no more calling out at night. Oh my. This reminds me of our first cat "Boogie" and going out at night and looking for him was how I discovered his ran-over remains. My wife was away visiting the in-laws and I was all by myself. No way. I'm not going to go through that again.

Rick

Colonel Rick Motko

Vive l'Empereur!

Didnt know the tips about the CM games. Will try it out. Probably undocumented cause they dont want to hear support email like "I cant run CM and my blender program!"

Blenders and cats dont go together! [}:)]

Bill Peters
Former NWC President, Club Founder, Prussian and Austrian Army Founder, Stefan Reuter's hunting buddy. HPS Napoleonic Scenario Designer (Eckmuhl, Wagram)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:50 pm 

<br />I think its a great idea that the guys at HPS show themselves and their familys,even their pets,it shows they are human,i like that kind of quality in people.Its nice to know there are real people out there making an honest living ,enjoying what they do and providing other people with the best they can give.Ive alwasy been a strong believer that honest people should show themselves in a club with a photo.It gives a club real character and lets face it if your honest you shouldnt be afraid to show yourself .A lot of the guys i know in the Napoleonic World exist.I respect those guys.
Honesty is always the best way in life.I work for the church so i have it rammed down my throat everyday,<font size="5">Al you have mis-judged me</font id="size5">:-)) mate ,I understand why HPS show simple normal pics of themselves and their pets,its a great idea even if some of you guys laugh..it shows that they are real humans not just a flashy firm title.I like the idea, at least i know my money is helping to create jobs.So what the hell if someone gets rich through my money.If the guy or lady is honest and works hard they deserve it.In the end the person who earns big money creates jobs right?Hey Napoleon made jobs right? He wasnt always rich right?

Thanks for the support Sir, we do appreciate it. I can assure you though, no one is getting rich. [8D] In fact, if my family and I had to live off the little I get from handling Support and my royalties from game design we would be in the street, literally. It's more a labor of love, with a little compensation that helps to justify the time spent to my wife. [:)] I work a full time job as a computer consultant to support my family.

And Rick, as the only "official" HPS employee who frequents these boards (everyone else sub-contracts through John Tiller on specific game titles) I can definitively tell you there will be no "official" announcements of major engine enhancements/rewrites or anything else, until we have something concrete to show the community. We feel that's good business, and the way we want to be treated.

I will say though that until sales drop to a point that producing games is no longer a viable endeavor, we will continue to make them, and do our best to put out, and support, a quality product in the process.

Maréchal Hamilton, Baron d'Barbancon
21st Division
VII Corps, ADR

Saxon Leib-Garde, de la Jeune Garde, Garde Impériale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:52 pm 

<br />I think its a great idea that the guys at HPS show themselves and their familys,even their pets,it shows they are human,i like that kind of quality in people.Its nice to know there are real people out there making an honest living ,enjoying what they do and providing other people with the best they can give.Ive alwasy been a strong believer that honest people should show themselves in a club with a photo.It gives a club real character and lets face it if your honest you shouldnt be afraid to show yourself .A lot of the guys i know in the Napoleonic World exist.I respect those guys.

Thanks for the support Sir, we do appreciate it. I can assure you though, no one is getting rich. [8D] In fact, if my family and I had to live off the little I get from handling Support and my royalties from game design we would be in the street, literally. It's more a labor of love, with a little compensation that helps to justify the time spent to my wife. [:)] I work a full time job as a computer consultant to support my family.

And Rick, as the only "official" HPS employee who frequents these boards (everyone else sub-contracts through John Tiller on specific game titles) I can definitively tell you there will be no "official" announcements of major engine enhancements/rewrites or anything else, until we have something concrete to show the community. We feel that's good business, and the way we want to be treated.

I will say though that until sales drop to a point that producing games is no longer a viable endeavor, we will continue to make them, and do our best to put out, and support, a quality product in the process.

Maréchal Hamilton, Baron d'Barbancon
21st Division
VII Corps, ADR

Saxon Leib-Garde, de la Jeune Garde, Garde Impériale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:42 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Al Amos</i>
<br />"Al you have mis-judged me:-)) mate" - Andy Barnes

Andy,

Perhaps so, but only because you have misrepresented yourself. I can only judge as to what type a man is by his actions and his words.

So, as the fruit of an apple tree is appealing, that of a crab-apple tree isn't. From a distance we can see that the trees are bearing fruit, but upon closer inspection we find one is good to eat, the other not.

So it is when meeting other people. I saw your work on "Eagle", and thought it is good, and thought you would be a person I would want to associate with, but then as I read through your posts I saw your 'fruit' (words) was rotten, and I do not wish to talk that way or be around when that style of talk is being used.

I think those that do desire a higher level of behaviour too, often cave in and accept 'poor' behaviour because it is Andy, or Al, or someone else. I think it would be better to stick to that higher standard. I am sure we will be surprised as to how many we can lift up as opposed to allowing ourselves to be dragged down.

Colonel Al Amos
1erè Brigade Commandant
2ème Division de Dragons

Al - now you went off topic! We have been talking about cats now for three replies! [:D][:D][:D]

Quick! Say CATS! [;)]

Bill Peters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:07 am 

How about a cat and mouse scenario? There are plenty of scenarios with objective hexes and exit hexes, but why not create one where one side (or perhaps both sides) have a single unit worth a lot of points that can be "captured" or exited. Meanwhile the rest of the units won't be worth many points, so the main focus will be on destroying or protecting/exiting this key unit. I suppose rather like a game of chess, but not that implausible if the key unit represents say Napoleon. Could be fun.

Capt Rich White
4th Cavalry Brigade
Cavalry Corps
Anglo-Allied Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:25 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Al Amos</i>
<br />"Al you have mis-judged me:-)) mate" - Andy Barnes

Andy,

Colonel Al Amos
1erè Brigade Commandant
2ème Division de Dragons

Okay Al i promise to curb my forked toungue in this forum.I will still however continue to "Simulate" a drunken smelly foulmouthed welsh dragoon in the other forum:-))) I dont swear all the time in real life Al.I am however what i am.I was a soldier for 15 years and perhaps sadly or not am still afflicted by the use of strong language and black sense of humour that all "The scum of the earth " had and still have.Al i know of an officer and a gentlemen who have climbed to the rank of General and swore even worse than the soldiers he was commanding.He was in charge of the British forces in ....... for a time and is well known.:-)) So while apologising for my language i can also assure you that i am i feel a good hearted christian person with a few rough edges:-))))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:29 am 

Wow...this is some of the best reading in this place in months...[:D][:D]

Heer am Niederrhein

[url="http://napoleonicwargaming.com"]Napoleonic Wargaming - 1NWCG[/url]</center>