Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: HPS question
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:05 am 

When you right click on a disordered units info box, you see a stat: % Change. Is that the % chance that the unit will regain good order? If not any clues? My scan of the namual did not turn up anything.

Thanks,

<b>Général de Division Michael Cox</b>
<font size="4"><i>Principe <font size="1">della </font id="size1">Toscana</i></font id="size4">
Comte de Moselle
<i><font size="4">Armée du Rhin</font id="size4">
<font size="2">2e battallion, 1er Regiment de Chasseurs a Pied, Inf. de l'V. Gde.</i></font id="size2">
<center>Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:08 pm 

If its the number that comes after the word "Change" then its the threat value. Its the percentage that you will be able to successfully change formation.

Its identified in the User.hlp file under Movement and then look down to Threat Values which says:

-----------begin text------------------

Threat Values
Any attempt to change formation, by any non-Artillery unit, may fail based on a certain chance computed at the time the change is attempted. The probability depends on several factors, one of which is the Threat Value. The Threat Value is a value determined by the presence of enemy forces. The Threat Value is the sum of all individual Threat Values determined by enemy forces within a certain range of the unit attempting the formation change. The Threat Value exerted by an individual unit is base on the unit type as follows:

· The Threat Value exerted by an Infantry unit of strength S is (2 * S) / 100 at distance of 1 hex and S / 100 at a distance of 2 hexes.

· The Threat Value exerted by an Artillery unit of Strength S is 2 * S at distances up to 2 hexes and S at distances up to 4 hexes.

· The Threat Value exerted by a Cavalry unit of strength S is (3 * S) / 100 at distances up to 2 hexes, (2 * S) / 100 at distances up to 4 hexes, and S / 100 at distances up to 6 hexes.

Routed and Disordered units do not exert a Threat Value. Units only exert a Threat Value in hexes they are Facing.

The total Threat Value on a given hex can be found by right-clicking in the Hex Info Area. The Threat Value is the second value in the center of the Terrain box (the first being the total stacking value in the hex). In the example displayed here, the Threat Value in the current hex is 6.

When a non-Artillery unit attempts to change formation, then the Threat Value in its hex is used to determine whether the change succeeds. If the change fails, then the unit becomes Disordered, or if the unit is already Disordered, the unit becomes Routed. Given a unit with Morale Value of M and a Threat Value in its hex of T, then the probability that a formation change will succeed is given by:

20 * M / (20 * M + T)

When this probability is not 100%, then its value is displayed in the Unit Box area when you right click on the Unit Picture. In this example, the unit has a probability of a successful formation change under the current conditions of 94%. See the section on Morale for a discussion of Morale Values.

------------------end text---------------------

Hope that helps!

Bill Peters
Former NWC President, Club Founder, Prussian and Austrian Army Founder, Stefan Reuter's hunting buddy. HPS Napoleonic Scenario Designer (Eckmuhl, Wagram)

[url="http://www.fireandmelee.net"]Fire and Melee Wargame site[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:22 pm 

Hi Bill
Like a unit "or if the unit is already Disordered, the unit becomes Routed" change of formation if the unit is unavalaible of does this because is in disordered and the unit in Disordered can´t change of formation and becomes routed

http://www.venezuela-emb.org.au/images/flag.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:28 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gabriel Rodríguez</i>
<br />Hi Bill
Like a unit "or if the unit is already Disordered, the unit becomes Routed" change of formation if the unit is unavalaible of does this because is in disordered and the unit in Disordered can´t change of formation and becomes routed

http://www.venezuela-emb.org.au/images/flag.jpg
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Sorry Gabriel but the translation isnt working for me. Not following what you are asking.

Bill Peters
Former NWC President, Club Founder, Prussian and Austrian Army Founder, Stefan Reuter's hunting buddy. HPS Napoleonic Scenario Designer (Eckmuhl, Wagram)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:59 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gabriel Rodríguez</i>
<br />Hi Bill

Sorry Gabriel but the translation isnt working for me. Not following what you are asking.

Bill Peters

Bill,

What I believe Gabriel is saying is that the statement "or if the unit is already Disordered, the unit becomes Routed." doesn't make sense because a disordered unit could not attempt a formation change to begin with. That text should be changed or amended because, although rare, some units that fail their formation change morale check go directly to being routed.

Regards,

Paco

<i>Maréchal</i> M. Francisco Palomo
<i>Prince d'Essling, Grande Duc d'Abrantes et
Comte de Marseille
Commandant - Division de Cavalerie de la Vieille Garde </i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:23 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by paco</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gabriel Rodríguez</i>
<br />Hi Bill

Bill Peters

Bill,

What I believe Gabriel is saying is that the statement "or if the unit is already Disordered, the unit becomes Routed." doesn't make sense because a disordered unit could not attempt a formation change to begin with. That text should be changed or amended because, although rare, some units that fail their formation change morale check go directly to being routed.

Regards,

Paco

<i>Maréchal</i> M. Francisco Palomo
<i>Prince d'Essling, Grande Duc d'Abrantes et
Comte de Marseille
Commandant - Division de Cavalerie de la Vieille Garde </i>

(light bulb goes on - blond hair falls out) Ah! Got it.

I will let John know about this right away so that it gets in the next patch or game release.

Bill Peters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:39 pm 

Bill thanks for your original response. I was aware of Threat Values and the calculations, but the % Change stat was an unknown, handy little feature.

<b>Général de Division Michael Cox</b>
<font size="4"><i>Principe <font size="1">della </font id="size1">Toscana</i></font id="size4">
Comte de Moselle
<i><font size="4">Armée du Rhin</font id="size4">
<font size="2">2e battallion, 1er Regiment de Chasseurs a Pied, Inf. de l'V. Gde.</i></font id="size2">
<center>Image</center>