Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:16 am 

Would you be willing to pay 10-15 bucks (price approximate and not an official HPS price) for an add on disk for a Napoleonic game that would offer a new campaign or completely revised version of an existing campaign?

Campaign Wagram had a good campaign file included which most folks enjoyed. However, some folks felt that a much more detailed campaign file should have been included.

This puts me at a dilemna: do I ignore the consumer and not do the campaign file, do I do the campaign file and basically just expect to see some increase in royalties due to POSSIBLY more sales or would an expansion CD for this new campaign be too much to ask the consumer to buy?

Some history:

Talonsoft offered add on disks for West Front which were a nightmare to play. First you would put in the WF disk, start up the game, pick the scenario, then switch disks, etc. A real task. I never could get it to work on my PC any other way. In the end I gave up playing the extra disks.

With an expansion disk for the HPS Napoleonic games the files would copy to the game and you wouldnt need the disk again to play the game. You back up the disk, store it for safe keeping.

Frankly I must be honest. I would LOVE to broaden the campaign for Wagram and also redo Eckmuhl. My dilemna is that this is my FULL TIME job. And I look at it as a business and dont relegate myself to a lesser position than a shoeshine boy. No shoeshine boy shines your shoes for free after you pay him once. And you dont expect him to do as such either.

Thus the only way that I can justify ever making a new campaign file for any of the games I did is to offer it as a add on disk.

If the answer here is that you wouldnt buy it then I will drop the idea.

The disk would also have stand alone battles as well.

I feel as if that along with all of the free scenarios I have done for our games and the Talonsoft ones over the years guys that I have earned my wings and that noone can call me commercial. If I came to your town and you were a lawyer, I wouldnt expect continual treatment for free just because I paid you one time.

This is as honest an assessment I can give you guys of where I am right now. If you think that add on disks would be of interest to you let me know. If you disagree dont rip my head off. I am not going to reap huge amounts of cash out of this guys, I live in a modest home on a fixed budget and dont enjoy Med. cruises every year.

Dont bother trying to cite the other websites that are doing this for free. Apples and oranges completely. There you are talking about a large group of guys that have much more time as a group than I. And its not their livelihood and they can drop what they are doing whenver they want. I put out free stuff and still do. Thus I cant be cited as being mercenary like some have accused me of being.

I am trying to be honest with you guys. This is where I am at. I wont work for free on a commercial product in order to upgrade it.

Correct my errors yes, and offer a few scenarios now and then.

But I wont put out free modules that includes work that took hundreds of hours to put together.

Bill Peters
Former NWC President, Club Founder, Prussian and Austrian Army Founder, Stefan Reuter's hunting buddy. HPS Napoleonic Scenario Designer (Eckmuhl, Wagram)

[url="http://www.fireandmelee.net"]Fire and Melee Wargame site[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:42 am 

Bill, I absolutely and glady WOULD pay a fee for an expansion pack to the HPS games especially if it contains new battles. I think is is a great idea. Could you expand a bit on what would be added and give some concrete examples of what we might see. A complete new battle and OOB form a different year like Austerlitz or more battles from 1809 with the same OOB as the original game? Am I being naive would a new battle be do-able only as a new game? I would be less interested in more "What if" scenarios than with something historical but hey that's just me. I would of course expect the developer to take a reasonable profit as well for all the hard work. I would be shocked if you find anyone who wouldn't pay for it.[:D]

Brigadier Ed Blackburn
Commanding 6th Div, II Corps, AAA
3rd Bn / 1st Regiment of Foot Guards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:15 pm 

A very big <font size="6">YES</font id="size6"> is my answer, Bill. [8D]

But then I have more money than sense (which just goes to show how little sense I really have...).

Lt Sean Turner
1er Dragons
2ème Division de Dragons
Ier Corps de Réserve de Cavalerie
l'Armee du Nord

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:25 pm 

Hi Bill,

I would gladly pay for an add-on disk to the HPS Napo. games provided that it included as an Optional Rule Automatic Defensive Fire, like every other game in every other HPS series. I have to be honest with you as well my friend. I have no interest playing any of the HPS Napoleonic games without that option. I suspect I might be in the minority, but there it is.<b></b><i></i><u></u>

2nd Lt. Bill Spitz
1/27th Regiment of Foot (The Inniskillings)
10th Brigade, 6th Division
Anglo-Allied Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:52 pm 

I will answer all three of you here:

Ed - I would only do expansion CDs for games that I DID. Not a new title. Thus I would not do a NRC Expansion disk nor would I do a disk that would preview a new title.

Here are some examples:

1809 - Wagram - could add in some more of the minor actions I didnt cover. Ryazin in Poland, other minor brushes in the Danube theater.

New campaign file - it would NOT be the SAME as what you bought. It would be different offering a wider variety of options.

1809 - Eckmuhl - new campaign file. Picking up from the lessons I learned from Wagram and my new game it would feed off of those concepts.

------------

Sean - thanks for the support. And I dont think we would have to charge an arm and a leg. Again the price was tentative. It might be 20 bucks for all I know. I would like it to be 15 to keep YOUR costs down.

=============

Bill - engine updates would NOT be part of these upgrade disks. All updates to the engine would come from the HPS website.

You get into an area also where someone might tell me "Bill, if you do what Bill Spitz is asking you to do then I wont buy the disk." What do I do then? Flip a coin?

My thought is that you are for the idea thus I will take it in that light.

Data on this survey needs to be based on info from active participating players. It cannot be based on wants and desires for the game engine since I have absolutely no part in the game engine whatsoever.

Bill Peters
Former NWC President, Club Founder, Prussian and Austrian Army Founder, Stefan Reuter's hunting buddy. HPS Napoleonic Scenario Designer (Eckmuhl, Wagram)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:04 pm 

Bill,
I would certainly pay $15 for an add on that had a professionally done campaign and some new stand alone scenarios thrown in too.

I am suprised that fewer people have palyed around much with the campaign engine, especially with Eckmuhl and Waterloo with the huge maps.

regards,

FML Jim Pfluecke
Austrian Kavalry Reserve

Austrian Kavalry Reserve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:00 pm 

I personally feel a bit tired of Eckmuhl, Wargram and Waterloo.
There are plenty of another exciting campaings. In particular, 1805, 1807 and especially 1813!! Is there any chance we will see battle of the nations in a future?

Poruchik Alexey Tartyshev
Moscow Grenadiers Regiment
2nd Grenadier Division
8th Infantry Corps
2nd Army of the West (NWC)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:03 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by August Dean</i>
<br />
I personally feel a bit tired of Eckmuhl, Wargram and Waterloo.
There are plenty of another exciting campaings. In particular, 1805, 1807 and especially 1813!! Is there any chance we will see battle of the nations in a future?

Poruchik Alexey Tartyshev
Moscow Grenadiers Regiment
2nd Grenadier Division
8th Infantry Corps
2nd Army of the West (NWC)

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I will steer around your boredom with the titles we have and ask:

If we put out these titles would you be interested in modules that offer more play beyond what comes in the box.

Figure that the box game comes with 120+ scenarios, several campaigns, large maps etc.

Would a module for say 1805 be of interest to you?

Bill Peters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:50 pm 

- If you mean like 1805 add-on to current games, then YES I would definitely buy it. I do not have a problem to PAY for add-ons as long as they are reasonable quality.

-If you mean comletely new game , then YES I would buy it.

- If you mean module extending 1805 box game from 100 to 150 scenarios, NO. Box games fully satisfy me with what they include. Moreover I do not play “what ifâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:32 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
But I wont put out free modules that includes work that took hundreds of hours to put together.

Bill Peters

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
There is no way that you should be expected to do so for free Bill.

I enjoy Wagram and Eckmuhl and would support and look forward to an expansion CD. My only problem is, as always, getting enough time to play the games. [:(]

<font color="orange">2nd Lieutenant John Sheffield
1st Btn/91 foot
[Argyllshire Highlanders]
6th British Bgd/4th Inf Div/
II Corps/</font id="orange"><b><font color="red">Anglo-Allied Army.</font id="red"></b>

<font color="gold">"Four things come back not: The spoken word; The sped arrow; Time past; and Opportunity." </font id="gold">
<font color="yellow">Caliph Omar I, ad 582-644.</font id="yellow">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:35 am 

GIVE MORE¡¡¡¡[^]

http://www.venezuela-emb.org.au/images/flag.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:22 am 

Definitely yes!

Any chance for an expansion for Eckmuhl covering the VII.Corp under Archduke Ferdinand d'Este? After all who knows how Wagram would have ended with 30.000 Austrian more ... [:D]

<center>Maréchal T. Nowacki
<b>V KORPUS ARMII RENU</b>
Comte de Liege
Duc de la Moskova
Chasseurs a Cheval de la Vieille Garde</center>