Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:30 am 

Gentlemen,
How much time I play games in NWC so much as well I hear arguments "pro" and "contra" House Rules owing to artificiality and imperfection of them. Moreover, those get various renditions for some subjective and objective causes usually.
I guess, the only Rules we have to use are: REALISM/or just common sense wherever the previous one is impossible to perform/ and HISTORICITY based on our knowledge of the subject. Each of us is an enthusiastic scholar of the Napoleonic epoch, and each of us has a right to expect those above from our opponents and their actions. Let us to repose on that.
If we'll go this way, we get definition with many "greasy" matters such as:
I. Troops in Marching Order
An HPS game hex symbolizes the roadway length of 100m.
According to the regulations, each man occupied 0.5m in the rank and 0.3 in the file, each horse occupied 1m in the rank and 2m in the file, a gun carriage with limber and team occupied 18m, and an ammunition wagon with its team occupied 15m of road length, approximately. In my calculations, I take into consideration all intervals between any parts of March or Battle order.
1. Infantry.
During road/street marches, Infantry formed a column by section (3 ranks, 6 files) or double-section (3 ranks, 12 files), if the road/street is wide enough (6m at least).
*/Maximal possible number in one hex: on a byroad - up to 450 men, on turnpike - up to 860 men.
2. Cavalry.
They usually formed a column of four/three/two files moving by double ranks, they also could make the files double on a wide roadway.
*/Maximal possible number in one hex are: on a byroad up to 100 horses, on turnpike up to 200 horses.
3. Artillery.
They formed a company column one-by-one with all guns plus limbers at the front, followed by other battery vehicles: ammunition caissons (of 1st, 2nd, 3rd Line) and equipment; where roads allowed, a double column was used, but guns always grouped together at the front.
*/The maximal possible number in one hex is: a single column of 8-guns battery with 1st Line Caissons (at least) up to 260m, a column of 6-guns battery up to 200m. So, we must to leave two empty hexes after each 8-guns battery symbol and one empty hex after each 6-guns battery symbol on byroads, and one empty hex after each 8-guns battery symbol on turnpikes.
*/Infantry and cavalry units in Marching Order must not make any stacks on their roadway. Exceptions: 1Btn/or Sqn+1Battery; 1Btn/or Sqn+1Train.
*/Cavalry must make marching, maneuvering and fighting ONLY by squadrons and not by one regiment symbol.
BTG and HPS games have very weak Command – control factor (we have no Regiment commanders and ADCs for orders delivering). So, let’s amplify it:
*/Brigade / Divisional Leader must to head any marching, maneuvering or attacking moves of the main body of his troops at the beginning of the moves, at least.
This way could help us to perform realism of the situation, to make corrections in the game space and time because in the reality any loss of intervals between the marching units could make a state of chaos, order and time loosing. It was inadmissible. That's why the special Staff - or Quartermaster - officers and Guides kept track of the marching order and inter-units space on roads. It was only permitted when Btn/Sqn let a battery or train to pass throughout their marching order, and they used waysides in this case.

II. Maximal hex capacity.
An HPS game hex symbolizes the ground area of 100mX100m.
So, how many Inf., Cav. or Art. could stack in that room on the real Napoleonic battlefields? The principled question. Therefore, I have researched it very closely. I've looked into my copies of the French, Russian, Austrian regulations, memoirs etc., and this is my conclusion:
According to the regulations, each man occupied 0.5m in the rank and 0.3 in the file, each horse occupied 1m in the rank and 2m in the file.
Platoons within one battalion or squadron had to contain an equal number of files, and it was permissible to transfer men from one company to another in order to make all platoons equal. Only elite companies were excepted from this rule.
Between 1805 and 1815, it was still typical to form troops in two or even three lines at a distance of 200 - 300m.
*/Battalions, squadrons and batteries for the second line must be deployed at the minimal distance of 2 hexes (in the third one) from the first line.
*/Any Infantry, Cavalry, Artillery unit which has lost 50% of their strength was supposed to leave the battle line.
1. Infantry.
There were four main battle orders at the Napoleonic Wars: the three-rank Line, Opened or Closed Battalion Column, Battalion Square and Skirmish Order.
a) Line Order was using for the defense predominantly.
*/Maximal possible number of troops in Line per one hex is 1Btn up to 600 men. If you need to deploy in line a battalion with more than 600 men, you may do it only next to a smaller battalion or next to an empty hex. In a village or town, the line may be deployed only in hexes with a single building or along-street.
b) Opened Battalion Column with full interval (the distance between its parts was equal to the frontage of a platoon) or half-interval (the distance between its parts was equal to a half of the frontage of a platoon), was to be used to march infantry through defiles, over the battlefield in the presence of an enemy, to move one line through another ("passage de lines"). Opened Battalion Columns had the pretty wide intervals - 20m between each other, and 50m - between two brigades. The intervals were used by cavalry and artillery for their maneuvering.
*/Maximal possible number of troops in Opened Columns per one hex is 2 Btns up to 1,700 men.
c) Closed Battalion Column (the Battalion Mass - the Austrian variant) / or Attack Column had to have the minimal intervals of 3m between its successive parts, they were to march to attack with bayonets.
*/Maximal possible number of troops per one hex in Closed Columns is 4 Btns up to 3,500 men.
But those battalions must be of the same regiment because any attack with closed columns had resulted in great disordering and interfusing of all partakers. After the attack, men were supposed to retrieve their company or battalion at least.
d) Battalion Square could have 3 or 6- rank deep formation.
*/Maximal number of troops in Square per one hex is 1 Btn up to 800 men.
e) Skirmish Order.
Light Infantry Skirmishers: when in the skirmish order, the men were to act in pairs/files; an interval between two men in a pair was to be 1m, the interval between two pairs was to be 2-5m in the "thick chain" and 5-10m in the "double chain"; in case of the second variant, there was an interval of 50-60m between the first and the second chain. A whole battalion or regiment could be formed in skirmisher order, in this case one company / battalion on each flank remained in reserve in closed order. Men were usually sent to "tirailleurs" by platoons or companies, which relieved each other in turn.
Light Infantry Skirmishers detached from a battalion were to form a single chain: the Frenchmen up to 200m, the Russians and Austrians up to 300m, the Prussians and British up to 150m forward of the main line, according to their regulations. Supports in closed orders were to be placed up to 100m behind the skirmisher line.
*/The maximal possible number of Light Infantry Skirmishers per one hex is 100 men in the "thick chain".
Line Infantry Battalion Skirmishers: the French Voltijeur company, the British Light company, the Austrian Schutzen Zugs, the Prussian skirmish platoons of the Third Rank, the Russian Strelki platoon and selected 10-12 men from the third ranks of each platoon could be deployed for skirmisher screening of the battalion. They were to fight in groups of 3 men, not in pairs; the interval between the groups was 5-10m.
Line Infantry Skirmishers detached from a battalion were to form a single chain at a distance of up to 100m forward of their battalion.
*/The maximal possible number of Line Infantry Skirmishers per one hex is 60 men.
2. Cavalry.
There were two main battle orders for a regiment at the Napoleonic Wars: two-rank Line, Opened or Closed Squadron Column.
a) Line order / or Battle order / or Charge order was using for charges as a rule. I don't know why, but HPS games have an option Line Order only for Infantry. This is a big mistake because Line was the main attack order for Cavalry all time. Any column formation has very weak and vulnerable point - its unprotected flanks.
*/Maximal number of troops in Line Order per one hex is 1-2 Sqns up to 200 horses total.
b) Columns.
Opened Column by Platoons / En colonne par pelotons . March order in column by platoons for the DEFILE and broken terrain movement.
*/Maximal number of troops in Columns by Platoons per one hex is 1-2 Sqns up to 200 horses total.
Opened Column by Companies / En colonne par divisions. March order in column by companies for the broken terrain movement.
*/Maximal number of troops in Columns by Companies per one hex is 1-3 Sqns up to 300 horses total.
Closed Column by Squadrons / En colonne serre. March order in column by closed squadrons for movements over the battlefield in the presence of an enemy. Closed columns also could be used for to charge on infantry.
*/Maximal number of troops in Closed Columns per one hex is 1-4 Sqns up to 800 horses total. Squadrons in all kind of the columns must be of the same regiment.
All squadrons for the second line must be deployed at the minimal distance of 2 hexes (in the third one) from the first line.
3. Artillery.
In opened position: intervals between cannons supposed to be 10m - 15m (some sources give 12m - 20m); in closed/fortified position: 6m-8m. Why intervals were so huge? Gun limbers should have space for speedy maneuvering between and around cannons. Also we have to consider the width of space that occupied each gun carriage on the position: 3m - 4m. Their limbers were placed at a distance of 20m behind the pieces, 1st Line caissons of Light pieces were to be placed at 20-30m behind the limbers one per one gun, and 1st Line caissons of Heavy pieces, which had no ammunition boxes in limbers, 10m behind the limbers. The rest of caissons - 2nd and 3rd Line - were placed at 50-100 up to 300m behind a battery.
*/Maximal quantity of guns per one hex is 8 pieces. Batteries never positioned in two rows.
III. Infantry versus cavalry.
Whatever infantry unit must not bring themselves straightway (!) to whatever enemy cavalry unit closer than maximal fire range. No exceptions. If only that cavalry unit persists and does not give up ground in NEXT TURN, then the infantry unit may attack them, it's up to the unit commander.
This way could help us to perform realism of the situation because in reality any cavalry unit, that even (and especially(!)) get disordered, routed or less than 200 men, could not let enemy to come up straightway and attack them with fire, but the cavalry could leave and easily outclass the enemy infantry by using its vantage of speed and maneuverability; moreover, this method could help us to perform realism of so-called “Appel signalâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:11 am 

I'm impressed (actually a bit overwelmed) by the level of detail in Commander Repnin's post -- definitely a text book level of detail. I've made a copy for some future, more focused reading, but in scanning it I wanted to make two observations.

-With regard to houserules --- I think they can make a difference in the play and enjoyment of the games, but when you have two people playing for the first time, the nuances of interpretation are likely to result in misunderstandings for all but the simplist house rules. So I tend to prefer a minimal number, but I can see how two oppoents who play each other on a regular basis can handle a large number.

-We often see comments about what a unit could or could not do. I think what is often missing in that units could not do these things for the equivalent of every turn of the game. Nor could every unit on the field coordinate its activity for 100% utilization of the entire force. We mondern commanders with our "aerial command centers" can get 100% out of every unit. My own experience (both with the Nap, ACW and Colonial titles) suggests we can often get the equivalent of 2-3x worth of movement, fire and melee out of our units. For me this suggests that the "rates" available per turn ought to represent the average over the time of the scenario -- not what could have been done in 20 minutes. If my "experience" is correct this would suggest reducing movements per turn by at least half (I don't have enough of a feel for fire and melee, but I think having a "cap" on a percentage of units could melee per turn would also make sense (alternatively you could require an officer for each melee and that would effectively cap the number). I believe movement can be controlled in the pdt files -- (putting a cap on melees is a game engine topic). Not only would this make things more "historical" but I think would make for a better game by eliminating the need for some house rules. For example, the movement change would also address parts of the "blitzkrieg" issue for which a number of house rules have been developed.

Brigadier Sir Bob Breen KT

1st (The King's) Dragoon Guards
Commanding 71st Highlanders
Commandant, RMA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:36 am 

Bob,

Recently me and Rittmeister Vladimir Komissarenko had a game with house rules based on offere here. Of course we simplified them as much as possible. Finally it sounded like "in field you can put no more than 300 cavalrymen per hex and no more than 150 cavalrymen on the road". If the cavalry is undisordered and ready to attack. Still it was possible to stack a lot of disordered cavalry in a hex. Specially as a result of melee. I pay so much attention to cavalry since both forces had only a few infantry formations and guns. For them limits were 1 line/square batallion or one battery per hex.

As for the playability. It didn't suffer at all. In five or six turns we got used to it. Of course there were deviations but not important. So yes it's quite possible to play a game this way. Of course I can't imagine myself fighting Borodino with these rules. But I still can't imagine myself fighting at Borodino under any set of ules.[:I]

As for the limiting of number of units able to move/fire/melee. There was a great idea here recently when units outside of command range had decreased (to 2-3 MPs) movement ability, decreased fire effectiveness and no ability to melee. It does solve the problem and still allows all of the units act actively provided they are led properly. But if this rule is to be implemented I suppose the command ranges should be reconsidered. In this aspect I like EAW series where all the leaders have the same ranges and differ only in quality.

BTW, Vladimir, I don't recall any way to "shoot" in Diablo II. [:I]Probaly you meant Doom III[;)]

<center>Image</center>
<center><b>Eyo Imperatorskogo Velichestva Leib-Kirassirskogo polku
General-Mayor Anton Valeryevich Kosyanenko
commander of Little Russian grenadiers regiment</b></center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:32 am 

Well,in reading quickly the Vladimir's post, I understand now why Russians players won so much games [;)][:D][:p]
Just a joke.
In fact, Vladimir want realism and he is right to do so and have pleasure to play with players who have the same priority. Speaking for myself, I give priority to playability and enjoy. Too much rules give me an heardache. Usually, I accept no one (or just a little about ZOC and skirmilhers and about ZOC and supplies)
Well this is a good thing for our club to have so much different approach of our games.

Regards

General de Divisi[:o)]n Lamézec
C[:o)]mte de Dav[:o)]ut
C[:o)] 2ème division de Cavalerie légère
ADN2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:46 am 

Hi Vladimir
Would you make a little sumary about of these rules to quickly view?.
for example:
infantry more of 400 men can´t march in stack with anothe unit of same amount.

http://www.venezuela-emb.org.au/images/flag.jpg