Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Update on Les Grognards
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:24 pm 

[:)] Its getting closer. [:)]

Somewhere down the discussion are some nice screenshots of part of the map that he is referring to below. http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ulti ... 1;t=000191

The Developer of <font color="orange"><b>Les Grognards</b></font id="orange"> posted this today:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
<font color="orange">"The map is 30 * 22.5 km, for Ratisbone Campaign.

Today, there are several scales:
1 to 1 (for a real time) to 1 to 10 (6 seconds for 1 minute).

1/10 is a good scale to launch the battle. On the first fighting, LG changes the scale to 4/10 (15 seconds to 1 minute).

Beta : I am working on the last tasks before beginning the final beta test. Several parts of engine have been tested 2 years ago, but all must
checked again.

--------------------
JMM
Designer/Developer of HistWar"</font id="orange">

www.histwar.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers,
Rick [:)]

Colonel Rick Motko
1er Bataillon, 33° Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne
2eme Brigade, 11eme division
IIIe corps, Armée du Nord

Vive l'Empereur!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:30 pm 

I got hit on German language when I put Campaign Eckmuhl, er, Eckmühl out.

The town name is Eckmühl and not Eckmuhl. If you want to use Eggmuhl that is ok I guess.

Yeah, I thought it was ticky tack too until five German Gretas attacked my person (they hailed from the town) and beat me senseless until I changed my game map.

I now am armed with a whole set of German characters (no, not those kind of characters).

Here are the ones I use:

ü

ä

ß

ö

If someone spots one I missed let me know. Would like to keep a complete set around just in case those Gretas catch another error!

Yup, ticky tack for sure BUT I am sure that is someone makes a note to JMM that he will fix it.

Or maybe the French dont care about German language correctness? [;)]

Bill Peters
HPS Napoleonic Scenario Designer (Eckmuhl, Wagram)

[url="http://www.fireandmelee.net"]Fire and Melee Wargame site[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:13 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
<br />I got hit on German language when I put Campaign Eckmuhl, er, Eckmühl out.

The town name is Eckmühl and not Eckmuhl.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes. "Mühle" is a mill. "Ecke" btw is a corner. On first glance, this would be a mill at a corner. [8D]

<center>
D.S. "Green Horse" Walter, Maréchal d'Empire
Duc des Pyramides, Comte de Normandie
Commandant la [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/3_VI_AdR_Home.htm"]3e Division Bavaroise[/url], L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/EdM_start.htm"]L'Ecole de Mars[/url], L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant la Brigade de Grenadiers de la Moyenne Garde
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:03 am 

More information from JMM:
---------

"I hope you are wrong ; I think just 8 to 12 weeks to finish... but as Marcus the smiling leper said "When it is done"

I know it's not a good answer, but I can't say another thing... BTW, I feel you are impatiently waiting for this game, and my wish is "Don't frustrate these wargamers with a 'like 1813' game"

(comment ! only around 3 weeks ... 1 month to make the goods)"

---------

As for the difference between a "ü" and a "u". Sure let's delay the game even longer over something like that -NOT!

Colonel Rick Motko

Vive l'Empereur!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:45 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Le Tondu</i>
<br />More information from JMM:
---------

"I hope you are wrong ; I think just 8 to 12 weeks to finish... but as Marcus the smiling leper said "When it is done"

I know it's not a good answer, but I can't say another thing... BTW, I feel you are impatiently waiting for this game, and my wish is "Don't frustrate these wargamers with a 'like 1813' game"

(comment ! only around 3 weeks ... 1 month to make the goods)"

---------

As for the difference between a "ü" and a "u". Sure let's delay the game even longer over something like that -NOT!

Colonel Rick Motko

Vive l'Empereur!

Hehe! Just tell JMM to watch out for the fraus Rick! [:D]

I added in the fix via an update. Alot of folks dont buy a game until the first patch comes out. Its just standard operating procedure with a game.

So tell JMM to put out that first patch about one week after the game is released and the fraus will leave him alone! [:D]

Budget these days wont allow for ANY new games including EiA by Matrix. (sigh)

I will have to pass up on this one for now but hope that it is a weiner![:)]

Bill Peters
HPS Napoleonic Scenario Designer (Eckmuhl, Wagram)

[url="http://www.fireandmelee.net"]Fire and Melee Wargame site[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:16 pm 

Talking of correcting spelling Bill, you should correct some of the names and titles in the French Army [:D]. To my knowledge the French Army had French titles, names, etc.

Marshal should be Maréchal
Emperor should be Empereur
Napoleon should be Napoléon
GD Claperade should be Claparède
Supply Wagon should be Wagon de ravitaillement/Munitions
Ft Art should be Artillerie à pied
Hrs Art should be Artillerie à cheval
1st Sapper Co. should be 1ère Cie de Sapeurs
Pontineer Co. should be Cie de Pontoniers
13 Légére should be 13ème Légère, etc.
From eckmuhl.oob, Campaign Eckmuhl

[:o)][:D][8D][:o)][;)]

<font color="green"> <b>Général de Division David Guégan Comte de Toulon, Duc de Nimes</b>
Co 11eme division
III Corps, AdN
Co Division d'Infanterie de la Jeune Garde, Garde Impériale

http://home.earthlink.net/~davidguegan/</font id="green">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:15 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by davidguegan</i>
<br />Talking of correcting spelling Bill, you should correct some of the names and titles in the French Army [:D]. To my knowledge the French Army had French titles, names, etc.

The same goes for the German army in France '40, of course ... "Army Group" should be "Heeresgruppe", "Jager" should be "Jäger", "Reserves" should be "Reserve", "Pioneer" should be "Pionier", etc., and the use of hyphens or combination in a single word is mandatory in German, so "Panzer-Division" or "Panzerdivision" but never "Panzer Division". [:0]

Let's all learn something, shall we? [8D]

<center>
Commandant la [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/3_VI_AdR_Home.htm"]3e Division Bavaroise[/url], L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/EdM_start.htm"]L'Ecole de Mars[/url], L'Armée du Rhin
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:36 pm 

Well with "i-shortened" instead of "é", "d" instead of "ä" and "soft sign" instead of "ü" I really prefer just "e", "a" and "u" respectively[:I]

<center>Image</center>
<center><b>Eyo Imperatorskogo Velichestva Leib-Kirassirskogo polku
General-Mayor Anton Valeryevich Kosyanenko
commander of Little Russian grenadiers regiment</b></center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:33 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kosyanenko</i>
<br />Well with "i-shortened" instead of "é", "d" instead of "ä" and "soft sign" instead of "ü" I really prefer just "e", "a" and "u" respectively[:I]

Ah ... but the point is that an "ü" is something entirely different from an "u". It's pronounced completely differently and can change the meaning of the word. It's not as if the "Pünktchen" (the double dot) would just be an accent or something like that.

If you want to avoid the special characters in German but still spell correctly, you can replace

"ß" with "ss"

"ä" with "ae"

"ö" with "oe"

"ü" with "ue"

[:)]

So, "Eckmuehl" would be entirely correct and produce the correct pronounciation. "Eckmuhl" would not.

<center>
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:41 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Le Tondu</i>

Correct spelling is not just eye-candy, in my opinion. It's an indication that someone takes his product (book, game ...) seriously and wants the customers to take it seriously. If the first glance at the product reveals tons of spelling errors, it's likely that no second glance is ever taken. If the designer, author, etc. shies away from even the minor trouble of getting his spelling right so to produce a favorable first impression of his product, chances are that he has not been much more meticulous and thorough with the more complex contents of his product. Being careless with such an easy thing as correct spelling arouses the suspicion of being careless everywhere. My € .02. [8)]

<center>
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:21 am 
BTW this is something that I really appreciate about the work of the HPS Nappy game designers--the desire to get these little things right. [^]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:09 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D.S. Walter</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by davidguegan</i>
<br />Talking of correcting spelling Bill, you should correct some of the names and titles in the French Army [:D]. To my knowledge the French Army had French titles, names, etc.

The same goes for the German army in France '40, of course ... "Army Group" should be "Heeresgruppe", "Jager" should be "Jäger", "Reserves" should be "Reserve", "Pioneer" should be "Pionier", etc., and the use of hyphens or combination in a single word is mandatory in German, so "Panzer-Division" or "Panzerdivision" but never "Panzer Division". [:0]

Let's all learn something, shall we? [8D]

<center>
Image</center>

Sure...

I didn't do the German oob in France 40, but I was in favor of the German terms, but was told that English speaking players would be desoriented. I have (in an alternative oob inplemented a long time ago may of the germans terms.... So if you want to see it in the regular game you will have to see Glenn [xx(][:D].

I guess my point has been missed. Why critisized a game for it's spelling (which by the way is correct in English) when
1)that game hasn't been releazed yet
2)you don't know anything about it. Unless, you are part of the beta team and in this case I would have to apologize.

And last point, I don't see Les Grognards as a thread to the napoleonics game made by HPS. They are different. One is more micromanagment oriented (HPS) and the other is more orders oriented (Les Grognards). I am sure there is enough space for both games.

<font color="green"> <b>Général de Division David Guégan Comte de Toulon, Duc de Nimes</b>
Co 11eme division
III Corps, AdN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:25 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by davidguegan</i>
I didn't do the German oob in France 40, but I was in favor of the German terms, but was told that English speaking players would be desoriented.

That's funny--French is OK, German isn't? [?]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:27 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D.S. Walter</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by davidguegan</i>
I didn't do the German oob in France 40, but I was in favor of the German terms, but was told that English speaking players would be desoriented.

That's funny--French is OK, German isn't? [?]

Like I said, you have to see with Glenn for that.
On the French oob for example QG wasn't accepted...[;)]

Co 11eme division
III Corps, AdN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:16 am 

<br />

And last point, I don't see Les Grognards as a thread to the napoleonics game made by HPS. They are different. One is more micromanagment oriented (HPS) and the other is more orders oriented (Les Grognards).....

Co 11eme division
III Corps, AdN

David,
In [orange]Les Grognards[/orange, you can micromanage every unit to your heart's content. I just don't see why you would ever want to. From the Army Commander's perspective, that was impossible.

With [orange]Les Grognards[/orange, the army you command has a life of it's own and that seems entirely historical and realistic. Also, with the weight of micromanagement off of you shoulders, it should be more fun. You get to concentrate on what an Army Commander concentrated on and that seems way cool to me. [8D]

Cheers,
Rick

Colonel Rick Motko

Vive l'Empereur!