Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Recrew artillery in HPS
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:45 am 

Gents,

I'm engaged in the full campaign of HPS Waterloo.
One of my brigade supported heavy losses while trying to stop the french crossing the Sambre river (don't worry, these infos are well known by my opponent [:D])
In these fights, the divisional artillery battery had to leaves several guns on the field [:(]

Maybe this has still been suggested, but I think <u>art units should be completed by guns from other units in a kind of transfer</u>

This is motivated by the fact that it costs ever one art ammo you shoot either with one gun or eight guns, for a result ...
Designers could be inspired by the "recrew art command" of BG acw games.

Just a though [;)]

<font color="orange">1e Luitenant Valère Bernard </font id="orange">
<font color="red">Anglo-Allied Administrative Adjutant</font id="red">
<font color="orange">Divisie Nederlandsche Kavallerie
I Corps
Anglo-Allied Army
</font id="orange">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:20 pm 

There have been multiple attempts on our part to get this to happen but so far no progress.

Here was my full suggestion:

1. Crew would be in MEN AND artillery in GUNS. Not two separate units - but two separate values.

2. When you fire on them with small arms fire they would lose men and/or fatigue.

3. When you fire on them with artillery you would lose guns and/or men.

4. For every manpower increment needed to crew a gun you would lose that ability to fire. The guns would still be there but the fire would be based on the guns able to be crewed.

5. When you melee the crew would go to a unit and that unit would have a RED FLAG on it. That would denote the location of the crew. The crew could recrew the battery automatically if adjacent.

6. Recrew - same as per the ACW - Command menu choice. Morale of D to denote inability to fire as good as original crew. OR dont let them fire - just let them haul the guns off of the battlefield.

This will not be in my next game (which will be my last btw).

Bill Peters
HPS Napoleonic Scenario Designer (Eckmuhl, Wagram)

[url="http://www.fireandmelee.net"]Fire and Melee Wargame site[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:55 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
1. Crew would be in MEN AND artillery in GUNS. Not two separate units - but two separate values.

2. When you fire on them with small arms fire they would lose men and/or fatigue.

3. When you fire on them with artillery you would lose guns and/or men.

4. For every manpower increment needed to crew a gun you would lose that ability to fire. The guns would still be there but the fire would be based on the guns able to be crewed.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Basically that's the way men and weapons are portrayed in the Squad Battles games ... so it should be possible.

<center>
D.S. "Green Horse" Walter, Maréchal d'Empire
Duc des Pyramides, Comte de Normandie
Commandant la [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/3_VI_AdR_Home.htm"]3e Division Bavaroise[/url], L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/EdM_start.htm"]L'Ecole de Mars[/url], L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant la Brigade de Grenadiers de la Moyenne Garde
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:43 am 

So, if I understand well :
<ul><li>as it would be possible to recrew artillery units in MEN from an adjacent <u>infantry</u> unit,</li><li> it should be possible to recrew artillery unit in GUNS from an adjacent <u>artillery</u> unit.</li></ul>

Is it ?

<font color="orange">1e Luitenant Valère Bernard </font id="orange">
<font color="red">Anglo-Allied Administrative Adjutant</font id="red">
<font color="orange">Divisie Nederlandsche Kavallerie
I Corps
Anglo-Allied Army
</font id="orange">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:47 am 

We'd also need <b>horses</b> represented in order to actually move the guns. Also, if a horse battery lost enough horses it would effectively become an ordinary battery.

Thus, if the guns lose too many horses they'd become immobile ... and more likely to get captured.

Capt Rich White
4th Cavalry Brigade
Cavalry Corps
Anglo-Allied Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:08 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Richard</i>
<br />We'd also need <b>horses</b> represented in order to actually move the guns. Also, if a horse battery lost enough horses it would effectively become an ordinary battery.

Thus, if the guns lose too many horses they'd become immobile ... and more likely to get captured.

I believe the Squad Battles series even has horses. [:)]

<center>
Commandant la [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/3_VI_AdR_Home.htm"]3e Division Bavaroise[/url], L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/EdM_start.htm"]L'Ecole de Mars[/url], L'Armée du Rhin
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:19 am 

Sounds good ... so would the Squad Battles series be flexible enough to create small scale Napoleonic scenarios, like Hougoumont or the Aspern granery? Can weapon types, ranges and factors be modified? But presumably there's no map editor?

Other useful features that seem to be in the Squad Battles series which might well be worthwhile carrying over into the earlier games would include a "Variable Ending Optional Rule" and the possibility of attacking units getting "pinned". Strangely enough, both these features were already present in the old 1996 game <i>Age of Rifles</i>. A pity we don't yet have them for this series too.

Capt Rich White
4th Cavalry Brigade
Cavalry Corps
Anglo-Allied Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:45 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Richard</i>
<br />Sounds good ... so would the Squad Battles series be flexible enough to create small scale Napoleonic scenarios, like Hougoumont or the Aspern granery? Can weapon types, ranges and factors be modified? But presumably there's no map editor?

I don't think it's very suitable. I just wanted to point out that the concept has already once been used in a HPS game.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Other useful features that seem to be in the Squad Battles series which might well be worthwhile carrying over into the earlier games would include a "Variable Ending Optional Rule"

I am not too impressed with this rule. Games never seem to end early, only late, so it tends to favour the attacker, and that's usually not me. [xx(]

<center>
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:08 am 

Valère - yes and no. Yes to infantry being able to recrew the men when in the hex (not adjcent) but guns would not be able to be replenished.

Dierk and Rich - I am using the Squad Battles engine for a project - Queen Victoria's wars. Just something I am messing around with.

The banzai value could be used for cavalry charges. Just make it a house rule that only cavalry leaders can use this value and assign one side a certain amount of banzai charges. When they are used up the horses are exhausted and unable to charge any more.

Might actually be kind of fun. Drop that Brown Bess musket and pick up a sharpshooters rifle!

Bill Peters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:32 am 

Bill,

If you'd like a play-tester for your Queen Victoria colonial project let me know (I've enjoyed playing various Age of Rifles scenarios covering this area). Certainly sounds interesting ... provided the game engine can cope.

Capt Rich White
4th Cavalry Brigade
Cavalry Corps
Anglo-Allied Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:56 am 

Rich - I am not sure how much of it I will actually get done. I have alot of Osprey books for the artwork which will help. Its going to be a really slow project. I wont be able to do maps as I dont have a map editor for that series of games. Thus I will just do the best I can with maps that came with the series (and there ARE of a ton of them).

I am using the Proud and Few game as it allowed banzai charges but I might switch to something else. I wish we had a Squad Battles: North Africa as that would match the maps better for places like the Sudan.

Bill Peters