Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Which HPS game?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:07 pm 

A friend of mine is thinking about joining the club and asks
me which game is my favorite. I have only played Eckmuhl, and I am
starting a NRC game. Which would you recommend?
Regards,

Lieutenant Eugene Holmberg
7/2 Artillerie à Cheval
2ème Division de Dragons
Ier Corps de Réserve de Cavalerie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:58 pm 

I don't much like NRC. Before I get flamed by furious partisans, let me explain. The game faithfully recreates the conditions that led to Borodino and at Borodino. My problem is, I don't like playing Borodino, as it is simply a slugfest with no opportunity to win by manoeuvre, so the campaign seems a lot of work to get to a battle I don't enjoy playing. (I have played the campaign twice - once on each side - and finsihed with a blood soaked draw on each occasion.) Wagram is good and I'm enjoying the Waterloo one as well.

Lt Colonel Neville Worland
Chef d'Etat-Major
Army du Nord

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:33 pm 
I enjoy Eckmuhl enormously each time I play it. It has the greatest variety of really challenging medium-size battles. And then of course this gourgeous huge map with the 534 turn scenarios--operational warfare on a ground that perfectly lends itself to nice meeting engagements, ambushes, etc. Almost an adventure quality.

Waterloo is coming close, as far as I can tell; I haven't played it enough yet, especially not the smaller campaign scenarios, but the huge map is the best way to experience the 1815 campaign in my opinion.

Wagram is a really good game, but the battles are in many ways more conventional set-piece things. And there is no big map for the entire campaign. (Of course, both is no fault of the game, the campaign just was that way.)

For reasons discussed in a different thread on this board, NRC is the one I like least. Making tactical battles decisive in a campaign that was lost on the strategic level just isn't coming close enough to a credible portrayal of the 1812 campaign, and to make it work, the armies had to be given certain characteristics that don't seem historical. (Again, that doesn't mean that Charlie hasn't done a great job, given these circumstances and the limitation of the system.)

My € .02. [8)]

<center>
D.S. "Green Horse" Walter, Maréchal d'Empire
Duc des Pyramides, Comte de Normandie
Commandant la [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/3_VI_AdR_Home.htm"]3e Division Bavaroise[/url], L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/EdM_start.htm"]L'Ecole de Mars[/url], L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant la Brigade de Grenadiers de la Moyenne Garde
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:57 pm 

Lt. Holmberg,

Of the four HPS games, Eckmuhl remains my favorite by far.[^] I concur with everything that Mssr. Walter has already stated, and would only add that it is the only game in which <font color="red"><b>both </b></font id="red">sides can realistically go on the offensive.

Regards,

Paco

<i>Maréchal</i> M. Francisco Palomo
<i>Prince d'Essling, Grande Duc d'Abrantes et
Comte de Marseille
Commandant - Division de Cavalerie de la Vieille Garde </i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:18 am 

My own chart [;)]

1.st place:
Eckmuhl:
1) great big map with excellent maneuver possibilities,
2) well balanced scenarios and forces
3) splendid movement point system
4) great fire and melee values

2.nd place:
Wagram:
1) epic battles
+ 3) and 4) from above

3.rd place:
Waterloo

4.th place:
NRC

<center>Maréchal T. Nowacki
<b>V KORPUS ARMII RENU</b>
Comte de Liege
Duc de la Moskova
Chasseurs a Cheval de la Vieille Garde</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:50 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D.S. Walter</i>

My € .02. [8)]

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

What is € .02? Is it two cents? Forgive my ignorance but we in the antipodies (or at least this inhabitant of them) are a bit behind in the European monetary system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:38 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Neville Worland</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D.S. Walter</i>

My € .02. [8)]

What is € .02? Is it two cents?

Yes. The European Union currency is the Euro, to 100 cents, the sign is "€". But if you prefer, my $ .02, my tuppence, my 2 centimes. [:)]

<center>
D.S. "Green Horse" Walter, Maréchal d'Empire
Duc des Pyramides, Comte de Normandie
Commandant la [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/3_VI_AdR_Home.htm"]3e Division Bavaroise[/url], L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/EdM_start.htm"]L'Ecole de Mars[/url], L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant la Brigade de Grenadiers de la Moyenne Garde
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:54 am 

Yes. The European Union currency is the Euro, to 100 cents, the sign is "€". But if you prefer, my $ .02, my tuppence, my 2 centimes. [:)]

[/quote]

Yes I knew about the Euro, I just wondered what the minor units were called. I thought perhaps the "Delors" or something like that.

Lt Colonel Neville Worland
Chef d'Etat-Major
Army du Nord