Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:42 pm 

Geoff McCarty wrote:
I wish I could read "Waffenstillstand und die Schlacht bei Groß-Beeren". It seems to go into minute details even if the reader can assume it's geared towards Prussian propaganda.

Where can I get that?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:33 pm 

Link: Der Waffenstillstand und die Schlacht bei Groß-Beeren. Gross-Beeren starts at 315 but, I'm sure the author appraises the sordid means of re-enlisting the Saxon cannon fodder for the campaign beforehand.

Strangely, as a mono-language English speaker I can translate written French better than German. I can translate spoken German much better than French. In order to translate written German I have to speak it out loud and word for word look up the meaning in each circuitous sentence. It is very aggravating.

"Offensive noch immer das Bajonnet blieb, und mit demselben im kühnen Vorschreiten die moralische Zuversicht des glücklichen Erfolges."

Hehe, yeah right. That must have been a hell hole to fight in with both forces dressed similar in the burning village, clouded sky, and night approaching. I'm actually able to pull and translate the gothic script with PDF software suprisingly. Very interesting battle to read about. According to this the Prussians didn't have any trouble (except from artillery fire) of taking Grossbeeren. The real fight took place on the windmill hill south of the village. After Sahr's divsion had retreated he personally took the Low regiment to recapture the hill and they got slaughtered. Dunno why the Low regiment just sat around with their thumb up their arse while the Prussians skipped through Gross-Beeren in the first place. Too little too late.