Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:14 am 

A new patch for Wagram should be out soon. It will fix the large file problems that is detailed in John Corbin's post and of which was fixed by the last Eckmuhl patch.

This thread is for you to speak up. I would like to do a short overhaul of some of the scenarios as well as put new ones out that cover different phases of the Wagram battle.

Here is what you will get in the patch:

1. The file size problem will be fixed.

2. New scenarios that deal with more of the phases of the Wagram battle. Some might say that they should have been in the game. My main reason for not having them in there was that I wanted to get hold of information that would ensure that I had certain details right. For instance I am doing a scenario that deals with the flank attacks by the III and VI Austrian Corps. There is a great dearth of information on which order the divisions for the Austrians were arranged when I first did the game. I now have more information and can put them in the correct order. Also - the Klenau assault on Essling was a big disastor with the guns from Lobau Island tearing up his ranks. As most of you know the island has some areas where it cannot get a clear LOS to the Marchfeld. A new fix of the map will solve this problem.

Here is a tentative list of scenarios that will be in the patch:

1. Bernadotte's Saxons try and retake Aderklaa on the 6th.
2. Second attack on Aderklaa - this time by St. Cyr.
3. Counter attack on Aderklaa - St. Cyr tossed out.
4. Final attack on Aderklaa
5. Klenau's attack on Aspern, the bridgehead and Essling - French counterattack.
6. One scenario dealing with the entire French left flank. Will give BOTH sides some options that they didnt exercise historically like the Austrian III Corps assisting in the attack on Essling - taking the heat off of the VI Corps and allowing them to accomplish their mission.
7. MacDonald's famous advance - hollow square of battalians.

Each of these will use the 10 minute and 15 minute turns - thus two files for each scenario. I also plan on adding in some variations for each. Example:

#5 with more of III Corps assisting in the assault. The historical version has only 3 battalians, one battery and one cavarly regiment in Breitenlee.
#5 with the V Corps assisting in the assault.

Finally, some fixes to files are needed. I found out that one of the PDT files meant to allow the Austrians to be the first player in each turn was coded incorrectly. Thus I have fixed that one already.

I ask your help in finding any other errors that you have found in the scenarios. I do not want to add in more bridging locations so please discount that as an idea. I have thought it over and over and the French should be able to beat the Austrians with the bridges that they have. I have yet to see it as a play balance issue. Give the French more crossing points and you WILL have a balance issue!

While I cant do it now I plan on having a Pressburg map added in with the unsuccessful assault by Davout and co. as a scenario along with some what-if situations. I would like to extend the map from Vienna to Pressburg given time to allow folks to have the entire breathe of the Danube to use.

In order to note your comments easier please have a heading in front of the paragraph. Examples are:

OOB - please fix the Wagram.oob file to have ....

Scenarios - I have noted in (filename of scenario) that certain objectives ....

Final note: I plan on increasing the PDT values for artillery a bit in certain areas and increasing the ranges for the Austrians just a tad. Also the movement rate of infantry will be increased to

And if you havent played the 10 minute turn version of II Corps vs. II Korps for Wagram please try it out. I plan on using this format more in future games.

I also have plans to join the Sacile and Piave maps and add in areas around the two battlefields. A small campaign file on the 1809 Italian campaign would be nice.

Oberst-Lt Wilhelm Peters
2nd Kuirassiers, Austrian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:20 am 

Bill

For my part I wpuld appreciate a review of the existing scenarios to ensure that all units are there ( remember the pioneer units from Raab 6A ?) and that infantry arrives in column formation and that arty arrives limberd.

General John Corbin
Commandant of Cadets
L'Ecole de Mars
L'Armee du Rhin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:38 am 

John - I will do my best to review all of the scenarios. Any that you find please point them out to me. I will do my best to catch all of them.

Oberst-Lt Wilhelm Peters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:12 am 

Bill

I am playing the second battle of a Wagram campaign game as the Austrian. While checking my commanders placement I noticed there are 2 GM Losheim's, one commanding 2 units in the 3rd Div. Also both the III Corps 2nd and 3rd division units are designated as x/2/3 (x fills in for 1,2,3). The 3rd Div units should be x/3/3 correct? My game seems to be using the OTV.oob file since that is the one that list 2 GM Losheim's. This might be something to correct in the patch. Is there anything I can or should do now?

Also I know I should know this but I don't. What are the units of the Austrain Army Battalions, Brigades? What does the first number represented by the x stand for?

Thanks

Oberstlieutnant John O'Day
3. Westphaelische Landwehr
3. Infanterie-Brigade
I. Armeekorps
Armee des Niederrhein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:39 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JTO</i>
<br />Bill

Also I know I should know this but I don't. What are the units of the Austrain Army Battalions, Brigades? What does the first number represented by the x stand for?
Thanks
3. Infanterie-Brigade
I. Armeekorps
Armee des Niederrhein
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

John - 1/1/1 would be the First Brigade, First Division, First Corps.

Thanks for catching the duplication of leader names. I have fixed this with:

L 2 4 128 GM Wratislaw

commanding the 2nd brigade in that corps.

Other minor fixes to the OB were to standardize some of the naming conventions - some of the brigade and division names were not conforming to the new standard.

Oberst-Lt Wilhelm Peters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:22 am 

Thanks Bill.

Could I make that change to the oob or better left to the patch? Probably better left to the patch. I guess the individual units in the Brigades are Battalions?

3. Infanterie-Brigade
I. Armeekorps
Armee des Niederrhein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:51 pm 

Bill:
Thanks for asking. I am looking forward to the small scenario I have played a few of the smaller parts of Wagram PBEM and vs. the AI and have enjoyed them.

If you find yourself with the time, a more detailed Raab map would be much appreciated. I know, only a small wish!!!

thanks,
back to watching Tomasz destroy what is left of my army in a campaign game at Raab.

FML Jim Pfluecke

2/III/AotM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:31 pm 

John - yes, units in the OB are USUALLY battalians or regiments or batteries. Just read the name. If its says 4 Hussars then that is the 4th Hussars. Hussars #4 (Austrian) is the Austrian 4th Hussars.

Note that the Saxons were merged into regiments by the time of Wagram. They had depleted their strength a bit at Linz. Marching also took its toll on an army that had been in the barracks since 1806.

Other than that infantry is in battalians.

Note: in the Squadron.oob file in the Eckmuhl game all cavalry are in squadrons. That is my new format by the way for future games. They can breakdown into two platoons.

No, I am not going to companies (ala EAW series) for infantry or gun sections (ala ACW series) BUT I did put together a new enlarged map of the Aderklaa area. Just finished up the OB tonite. Its for my friends in the CCC or those that like to play the Napoleonic era with infantry in companies (hey, anyone remember Column, Line and Square the game with BIG battalians?). Guns are in sections and cavalry in squadrons. This is a new scenario, PDT, OB and map file I will have for the patch. Its an enlarged version of the Aderklaa scenario.

Jim - I would love to update the maps. One thing that I lacked was detailed topo detail on things like farmhouses and not alot of historical accounts discuss buildings.

I also would like to go over the Graz, Linz-Ebelsberg, Znaim, Brunn and Vienna maps as well. My new maps are much better. I add in farms and so on. From all of the pictures I see of the open countryside that Bill Peterson sent me there really are not many features to add. Perhaps a fen here and there or a farm but his pictures dont show farmhouses (pics from the Eckmuhl area).

I also cant go there for now. Might be able to in the Fall. I will try and plan a trip there and bring my great digital camera with me. Otherwise I hate to guess.

Anyone having farmhouse info on Wagram or any of the other maps please let me know. Trying to find a map of Austria is hard and the Czech Republic is harder still. Italy is even worse!

And the maps dont have farmhouses on them. It would be nice to have a satelite photo of the maps. That would help alot. If a building is in the country then it probably was there many years ago.

Oberst-Lt Wilhelm Peters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:33 am 

Bill,

for maps of Bohmen/Mahren/Schlesien look at the page http://oldmaps.geolab.cz/?z_height=1100 ... 1&&lang=cs

This new work contains scanned maps of:
- 1st military "mapping" of Joseph I. (1764-1768 a 1780-1783)
- 2nd military "mapping" of Franz I. (II.) (1819-1858)

GM. Pavel Stafa
Kommanduyuschiy Korpusom Rezerva
2-oy Zapadnoy armii EIV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:33 pm 

Thanks for the link Pavel. A bit hard to read though and the scale is hard to figure.

Are the sheets available for sale?

I liked that they made the site available in English.

Oberst-Lt Wilhelm Peters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:55 pm 

Hi Bill,

main info pages could be switched to English or German (see small flags in left "topic" column).

Maps are not available as sheets (in fact this is the first time I see them out of archives!). Will see in the future (I think it will depend on interest of customers).

Both 1st and 2nd "batch" was made in 1:28 800 scale (with some 1:144 000 overall/overview maps).

GM. Pavel Stafa
2-oy Zapadnoy armii EIV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:25 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Baron</i>
<br />Hi Bill,

main info pages could be switched to English or German (see small flags in left "topic" column).

Maps are not available as sheets (in fact this is the first time I see them out of archives!). Will see in the future (I think it will depend on interest of customers).

Both 1st and 2nd "batch" was made in 1:28 800 scale (with some 1:144 000 overall/overview maps).

GM. Pavel Stafa
2-oy Zapadnoy armii EIV
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes, I saw that you could toggle English or German for the pages.

Too bad as I cant read the maps at the resolution they give - even when zoomed in I cant read the names of the towns. And contours would be a guess at best. As you know the modern topo map wasnt invented until after the Napoleonic wars. Later in the 19th century.

The scale would take some working with. The maps I have include a scale you can use. Usually its 1cm equals 1km or 10 hexes or something like that.

If you can think of some way to correct the resolution problem of the maps let me know. Usually you can only go with the resolution that they were scanned in at and since they work with smaller pictures its hard to read when you zoom in.

Oberst-Lt Wilhelm Peters