Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:10 pm 

If I just wanted to use the 3d art and not the 2d what would I need to do?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:34 pm 

Mark when you unzip the files (do so somewhere separate) you can see the unit graphics called 3d 50 and 100 and 2d 50/100 just paste into the map folder the 3d graphics and not the 2d
and then you will be able to customise it to your preference.

the 50/100 is the zoom level.

My only comment would be that I have really grown to like Phillipe's 2d graphics once I got used to them

Salute!

Prince d'Austerlitz et Comte d'Argentan
Ordre national de la Légion d'honneur

"What is history but a fable agreed upon"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:17 am 

The current list of the new round of updates is now Waterloo, Leipzig, 1814, and Bautzen.

So as I've mentioned in an earlier post, the first of the two links gives the more recent version, but in any case when you click on a link you can tell what the version number is.

The Bautzen mod thread has a screenshot which shows the new ships as well as some of the 'new' model trees and shadows.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:17 am 

The updated mods now include Waterloo, Leipzig, 1814, Bautzen, Austerlitz, and Jena.

The first of the pair of links for each mod is currently up-to-date. The second links to an older version.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:18 am 

(double post)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:48 pm 

In case you were having trouble keeping track, all of my Napoleonic mods have now participated in this latest round of updates.

I've made separate announcements in each mod's threads so that a year from now, if someone stumbles on one of the threads, they'll be able to tell what the current state of that particular mod is.

Not sure when I'll be able to get around to doing new screenshots. It won't happen in the individual mod threads, but I might eventually make some improvements to the visuals of this one.

There are two links listed under each game in the mod list. Unless I start having problems with bandwidth I'd like to keep the second link pointed at an earlier version of the mod. If bandwidth becomes a problem again, or if having two versions listed becomes too confusing, I'll make changes. In the meantime, if you click on one of the links but don't download you can see what version something is. I don't want to include the version numbers in the thread because that would make it a pain to update.

(There's actually a reason for keeping older version of the mods available, because they use modified versions of Ezjax's trees).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:29 pm 

Philippe, I cannot download from any of the new mod links. :(

La Grande Armée

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:52 pm 

The issue, as usual, is that I've run out of bandwidth in my Box asccount.

I've made a spur of the moment change to adapt to the situation, and this should work.

There are now three entries under each game: the most recent version on Boxnet (the one that always runs out of bandwidth), the most recent version on Dropbox, and an older version on Dropbox.

I did it that way because I want to preserve a link to an older version, and I realized that not that many people will download the older version so it wouldn't take up much bandwidth.

So for the rest of the month you should be able to download from Dropbox, and after the first you can use whichever one you're comfortable with.

(And I've clicked on all the links to make sure they're pointing to the right version of the appropriate game).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:37 am 

Thank you sir, can't wait to get home and get the new mods. :D

La Grande Armée

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:06 am 

Here are a few screenshots that give a sense of what the updates have done to the overall look.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:22 am 

Really great stuff, thanks for the work!

BTW especially for Leipzig I recommend using the JSGME aka "JointSoft Generic Mod Enabler" but its also good for all other mods & campaigns.
This tool copies the mod files based on the folder structure of the mod into the game directory and makes a backup of the original files, you can simply activate & de-activate a mod over this tool what is much easier than doing the copy and paste job yourself.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:57 pm 

Napoleon's Russian Campaign, Campaign Bautzen, and Campaign Leipzig all involve double mods and parallel installs.

While I'm sure a mod installer could handle it, the structure of the files that I've included in these mods is predicated on a manual install. The Retreat from Moscow, Russo-Swedish War, and Campaign Dresden mods aren't complete mods and presuppose that the NRC, Bautzen, and Leipzig mods are already installed.

I've never tested this with a mod installer, and can't say one way or the other that it would or wouldn't work without testing (though I suspect it would). And right now I just don't have the time to make experiments on something like that (largely because I've spent way too much time on this project already).

Automatic programs that do all the work for you are very seductive (and I use the one in question for a couple of other games), but the problem with using them is that you give up a lot of control, not the least over knowing exactly what went where because you put it there.

I know what the visual end result will be if you follow my manual instructions. I don't know exactly what it will be if you use an installer and would need to check every little thing (and there are a lot of them) to make sure that it had worked. But I do know that copying and pasting one or at most two single folders into your HPS or JTS folder isn't really a big imposition. And it might actually teach you something about the structure of the inside of your own computer.

[My sense is that to use the installer successfully you would have to create new versions of the Dresden, RSW, and Retreat from Moscow mods by copying the secondary mods onto the base mods of Leipzig, Bautzen, and NRC. I already have bandwidth problems, and this would significantly bulk up three of the mods, so that's why I tried to set it up so that files that are common to the primaries and secondaries only get downloaded for the primary mod].

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:25 pm 

AFAIk the folder structure in your mod(at least in Leipzig) isn't different from the original folder of the game, so no problems there.
The description of the Dresden Mod mentions that this mod has ONLY those files that differ from the Leipzig mod, so all you have to do is:
1. Copy the Leipzig folder into the MODS folder(that is a folder you have to setup in the games directory).
2. Rename that Leipzig folder to Dresden.
3. Now copy the Leipzig folder of the mod again into the MODS directory.
Now you have 2 folders, one with the Leipzig mod and the other with the Dresden mod, all you do now is simply enable the one that you need and play, do you need the other you simply disable the current active mod and enable the other.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:04 pm 

My Napoleonic mods have all just been updated (again), and this is probably a good time to mention a few details that often get lost in the shuffle.

First, under each game title you will see three links.

The first link in each title is to a Box account, the second and third links are to Dropbox accounts.

The third link (i.e. the second Dropbox link) is to an older version of the mods that predates the latest couple of rounds of updating. I doubt that anyone will download it very often, but for now it's there, in case someone needs it (for EAW, for example). The main feature difference is that it uses Ezjax's trees.

The first two links (the Boxnet and the Dropbox links) are both currently using the same graphics (the version that became the standard a few weeks ago) but one of them has different sound files in its media folder.

Ed Williams (aka Volcano Man) has kindly agreed to allow me to include his Sound Pack for the Napoleonic Campaigns series, so you won't have to go to his Volcano Man site to download the sounds separately.

So if you want to download one of my Napoleonic mods with Ed's excellent battle sound modifications, one-stop-shopping is now an option.

The first link listed under each title (the Box link) will be the link to the version including the Volcano Man sound mod.

And the second link listed under each title (the Dropbox link) will be the link to the version that does not include the Volcano Man sound mod.

If the Box links run out of bandwidth before the end of the month, just download from the second link and then download Ed's sound mod from the Volcano Man website.

If you have any doubts about which version is which, the Box and Dropbox links have slightly different version numbers. The higher number is always the one that includes Volcano Man's mod.

By the way, a quick and dirty way to tell whether you have Volcano Man's mod installed or not is to open a scenario where there are skirmishers and make one of the shoot at something. In the plain vanilla version you should hear a single dull pop, which is kind of odd since that sound is supposed to represent fifty to a hundred skirmishers skirmishing. In Volcano Man's version more than one guy will fire, but it's sporadic firing and not an organized volley.

On another note, there are a multiple readme files and several different customization options in each of the mods.

There's generally one master readme file, one readme file that is a note to remind you to back up your original (these are essentially a form of total conversion mods and a lot will get overwritten), and a readme file that tells you how to use the special features.

Some of the special features are simple things like making parallel installs so you can make (for example) the Retreat from Moscow look different from the march on Moscow. But one of the things in the readme file is a fairly detailed set of instructions on how to do something that most people aren't familiar with, namely, how to install and/or change the desktop icons I've provided with each mod. If you use the parallel install method (described in the readme files), you'll understand why you need those extra icons.

One of the special features that I don't tend to discuss in the readme files very much is the use of alternate textures. The things that I've provided in these mods are designed to look good and work well together. You may not always agree, and so in a few cases I've provided a few simple alternatives that you can play around with if you think something might look better. The things that are most likely to have alternatives are the cover screen art, a few of the 3D map features (last time I looked there were supposed to be blood/no-blood options that could be installed -- the default is set for blood), and some of the music (usually but not always the music in the Media folder, not the Music folder).

One last comment about music.

In my own personal computer what I have done is to make copies of the existing music folders so I don't lose them (the copies are in the game folders next to the working Music folder), deleted the original versions of the music folders (so that there is no partial overwriting), and then have made a copy of the slightly modified music folder from the Leipzig game, and copied that into all the other games.

[The modification of one of the bacground files in the Leipzig game simply consisted of editing out someone yelling 'God Save the King!', since that is only appropriate in a battle where one side is English].

The end result is that there is music when you fire the game up (instead of that silly explosion sound), and I've taken pains over the quality of the win/lose/draw music. But while the game is playing you just hear clanking background noises, which are much less distracting and make it easier to concentrate on what you're doing. And it really won't matter much if the program decides to play the same sound track over and over again fifteen times. If you really want music playing in the background, there's no shortage of electronic devices that can provide it for you (I'm sure some people listen to Led Zeppelin, but I really don't want to hear about that).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:08 pm 

Philippe,

Hmmm, Zeppelin has a song called "Dazed and Confused", which is how I often play these battles.

Avant Garde Division
Österreichische Imperiale Armeekorps
Coalition Army