Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Black Screen - Again!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:02 pm 

Has anyone come up with a solution to the unplayable black screen turn when both players are using the same patch, and there are no .xxx or .yyy files to delete? I am playing a monster game with Cliff and this is the second time it has happened. The first time I had double-clicked the exe file and had two copies of the game open when I selected the turn.

Cliff does not seem willing to disclose his psw to a third party (to save the file and send to him), my only hope other than redoing my turn and hoping this does not recur. I tried zipping it and sending as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:24 pm 

I am more then willing but who can do it is the question?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:24 am 

So I have the file in hand now, thanks gents, but I do not have Wagram installed and I will try and install it tomorrow to look---but please, open Wagram, any scenario, go to the "help" menu, and select "About" to double check that you both have the same version---Windows 7 and 8 can make patching tricky---you may think you did the correct patch but it may not have executed correctly. I also sent you both an email.

thanks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:42 pm 

Your reinstalling the game would be more trouble than me simply replaying the turn. Problem closed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:34 pm 

Ok, replay but if the problem comes up again, then you will need someone to look at it. Did you two verify correct versions?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:24 pm 

Yes, before we began. v1.09

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:27 pm 

Well that's another 45 minutes of my life gone, replaying the turn only to have the problem occur again. And it's not due to my new antivirus proggie (installed 2 days prior to this) since another opponent reports no problems.

At least I feel I learned a lot about how to operate a full army and keep it in good order and in command. I never used division colors and Show Organization before, probably why my record is so poor.
I have also broken down and purchased the three JTS DD-only games since opponents for the older ones are hard to come by. Ready to move forward.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:20 pm 

May be if we could find a third party who can open both you turn and my and forward the game on it could be the security that could be the cause since I put in azast who knows what could be happing. Azast is in India and support is in Spain! :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:52 pm 

I would be willing to try that once, not on an ongoing basis of course.

Do you mean Avast?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:14 pm 

"Oui"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:31 pm 

Andrew, Clifton:

I would be glad to help out.

But you might want to email support@johntillersoftware.com or if an HPS game at: support@hpssims.com.

Rich is always responsive and an probably give a more definitive answer.

President, Colonial Campaigns Club

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:44 pm 

Update: Another player had the problem with a new NRC game (both patched to v1.08), I reinstalled both NRC and Wagram, patched NRC and was only able to replay his turn if I did not view the replay, otherwise I got Error Playing Replay File. However, his entire army was visible with no Fog of War.

I got the error message "string isdx_err_internal was not found in string table" when reinstalling Campaign Wagram, no such message occurred with NRC. I believe that has something to do with Direct X version. I have DirectX 11 on this system and I am pretty sure you cannot go back to an earlier version.

A test file from the new install (our old game turn 35, with one move entered and then turn forwarded) has been sent to Cliff.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:12 pm 

Update #2: I am having this problem with a third opponent in Campaign Leipzig v1.02 (he reported problems saving his turn, not opening it). I can open the file if I don't view the replay but once again there is no FoW.

I am going to uninstall my antivirus program (Outpost, on 30 day trial) and see if this was the culprit.

Last edited by Zaraath on Fri May 02, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:24 pm 

But you might want to email support@johntillersoftware.com or if an HPS game at: support@hpssims.com.

President, Colonial Campaigns Club

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:03 pm 

Sent support requests to both jts and agnitum. The latter has responded with a request for my logs when their software (which is now uninstalled) is disabled and then running. But it did make me look at my event viewer and I found a fair number of these occurring since the AV installation, and none before:

Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications.

After a google search, I have edited my registry to change the LoadAppInit_DLLs key from 1 to 0, and I no longer get the one-hex only showing when I load one of the Leipzig scenarios (NC1 Italy vs Poland) that was causing me problems when I play both sides in a mock PBEM, so I suspect it has something to do with this. I still get an error reading the replay file message and no FoW though.