Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:12 am 

A Grenadier of the Guards - Hippolyte Bellangé

Passing of Feldmarschall Celamanka Graf Noftz von Kärnten

It is with a heavy heart that we've received word from Tom Phillips on the passing of General der Kavallerie Celamanka Graf Noftz von Kärnten of the Austrian Armee. He has been a member of the Club for almost 10 years, joining in July 2007. He most recently commanded the Husaren-Kavallerie-Regiment Hessen-Homburg Nr. 4 a part of the 1. Avant Garde (Advanced Guard) Division. In previous years he served as the Kommandant der 2. Brigade of the 1. (Infanterie) Division, I. Armee-Korps. When he joined in 2007, he served at the head of the Landwehr-Battaillon Hradisch Nr. 1, of the 2. Division, I. Armee-Korps. He also held an honorary command in the Reserve-Grenadier Division with the Grenadier-Bataillon Scharlach and in the former Grenadier Korps with the Grenadier-Bataillon Jurissich,

He was the type of member you wanted around, he was the type of officer you wanted in your army & he was the type of guy you wanted to know in the Clubs. He wasn't a guy who prolifically posted in the forums, but he has left an indelible mark on these Clubs. The impact of his loss will be felt for a long time to come. Every Club he was a part of he provided some sort of extra service beyond just playing games. He was always there, always willing to lend a hand, play in a tournament, help new officers, support new ideas, take on commands & whatever else might be needed. He was one of those "go to" people you could always rely on for help when you were in a bind, especially when someone was looking for an opponent to play. He was a big advocate & supporter of these Clubs and what they are about. He was truly committed to the hobby & our little world in it. He was always very friendly and I don't think I ever heard him say a negative thing, ever.

He amassed 730 games at 5 Clubs he was a member in. The CCC, the NWC, the ACWGC, the iNWC & the Blitz. At the ACWGC he was Major General Celamanka "Cela" Noftz serving as Division Commander of the 1st "Jackson's Foot Cavalry" Division, II "Jackson's" Corps, Army of Northern Virginia (ANV). At the CCC he served as Lord Miko Hopaii (War Chief) Celamanka Noftz, MSM of the Seneca Tribe and as the Indian Alliance Chief on the Club Staff (Cabinet). At the iNWC he served as Comte de l'Empire Lieutenant-Colonel Celamanka Noftz, the Prince de Wagram in command as the Commandant de la I Réserve de Cavalerie Corps. One of the few guys who held commands in the different Clubs from regiment level on up to Army & Cabinet level. Something I am not sure he even realized, let alone the rest of us.

He had a combined total of just shy of 12,000 points in the 4 Clubs that listed points, with 3,000 as the average, something not easy in every Club. He garnered a total of 210 different awardings of the various orders, awards, ribbons & honors that the different Clubs had, including the Austrian Long Service Cross, given to those who reach the rank of Feldmarschalleutnant, which takes some time to get there. He was also awarded the Royal Hungarian Order of St. Stephen Service Cross, for conspicuous bravery while in the line of duty, which is usually awarded for long term service to the Austrian Armee with an accumulation of victories in the games. He even participated in the extra things, like sharpshooter awards among other things, single handily contributing to the total the Indian Alliance had at the CCC. He also played more campaigns in different games than I can count. He joined all of these Clubs close to 10 years ago and has served them all without hesitation and with consistency. He exemplified the spirit of what they are about.

He was a friend to many, probably none more so than Tom, which is why I thought it fitting the news came from him. Him & Tom played games in all these Clubs so much, I can't actually track how many. He was a friend to me as well, one of those guys that I really worked with a lot over the years that had a direct impact on the how I felt about this hobby and a direct impact on these Clubs themselves. As several folks have noted in email already, he was very personable too, offering words of support & always liked a good laugh, as well as a good battle cry to arms!

These posts, as sad as they are, I think are good in a way, as it allows folks to share things about the person who has passed, allowing the Club as a whole to see what the person was like here & see them for more than just a name.

His name, records & nobility title will be retired with honors in the Club and written into the Austrian Ruhmeshalle. The General Staff of the Allied Coalition has approved Cela to be posthumously promoted to Feldmarschall for his years of dedication and service to the Club and the Austrian Armee. (Site updates to be completed soon)

His son, Général de Brigade Robert Noftz serves the La Grande Armée in command of the 1er Régiment de Carabiniers of the 1ère Brigade, 1ère Division de Grosse Cavalerie, Réserve de Cavalerie. A message of condolences will be sent to him & their family on behalf of the Club. Cela has several kids & grandkids, was from the Pittsburgh area & one time he told me his family was German, Irish & Polish and the family name was Noftzinski when they came to the country, shortened to Noftz.

I invite anyone who wishes to leave a post about Cela to do so. We've lost a good member!

Rest in Peace Cela......You'll Be Missed!

Your Friends at the Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

Allied Coalition Webmaster & Club Website Support

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:39 am 

<<SALUTE>> :frenchsalute:

President, Colonial Campaigns Club

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:58 pm 

I also missed the chance to get him to know but alone from Scotts post it's obvious that all clubs have lost an invaluable member.
My condolences to his family.
<SALUTE>

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:24 pm 

He was a nice, friendly guy who enjoyed the games and seemed to enjoy his life. He shall be missed.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:32 pm 

The LGA Sends its condolances to the family and Robert Noftz :frenchsalute:

2ème Brigade,
2ème Division,
1er Corps d'Armée,
La Grande Armée

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:21 pm 

My condolences, rest in peace.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:07 am 

I never crossed swords with the guy, but he was an active member of several clubs, and we shall all be the poorer for his passing.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:05 am 

I knew Cela from the days he first joined the clubs. He was a good guy and always stayed out of turmoil preferring instead to be friendly and postive. Rest in peace and condolances to Robert and family.

La Grande Armée

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:06 am 

I knew Cela from the days he first joined the clubs. He was a good guy and always stayed out of turmoil preferring instead to be friendly and postive. Rest in peace and condolances to Robert and family.

La Grande Armée

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:16 am 

My condolences, rest in peace. :frenchsalute:

3ª Division de Andalucía (España)
III (Peninsular) Corps

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:53 am 

I always regretted that for some reason our email servers were at odds with each other - thus I don't think we were ever to play and complete a game together.

RIP and my condolences to his close friends and family!

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:03 am 

My condolences to his family, may he rest in peace.

Salute

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:40 pm 

You guys have contributed some kind words. I am sure it'll be appreciated.

If anyone else wishes to contribute, you are welcome to do so. I will be sending a message to Robert this weekend.

Thanks.

Allied Coalition Webmaster & Club Website Support