Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:09 am 

I would like to play a "Free Deployment" - meeting engagement game in one of the following JTS games:

Leipzig
Bautzen
Austerlitz
Eckmuhl

How we do this is as follows:

We agree on a particular map, OB, PDT file to use. Each of us deploys our own troops using our own .scn file (I will set up the blank file).

The .scn file is then opened in the editor by each player. They place their troops on the map in agreed areas ....

The files are then merged. I will do the merging as the text file is pretty obscure as it regards location (hey, if you can memorize the hexes on the maps, my hat is off to you).

Then the final .scn file is used to start up the game. We use Fog of War of course.

Let me know if you are interested and we can discuss the game, map, OB, PDT file etc.

I would like to play something that gives each side 3 corps and a cav reserve. In other words we dont have to use ALL of the units in the OB. If you like something from Leipzig OB we can both pick out troops.

Dominik's OOB editor actually calculates the value of armies if you like to use that format. Both sides will know what they are facing just not where the troops are located.

Can pick up a Fight or Maneuver. Doesnt matter to me.

Would like to do 2 files per week. If you are super busy please pass on this one. Thanks!
(also - please have the game installed and working ...)

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:49 pm 

An interesting idea and a concept that can add SPICE to the games, in general.

It will be very good to hear how this works out.

There is a lot of preparation to this and needed support, but could lead to some very interesting Meeting Engagements, with NO prior knowledge.

Please keep posting some info as you go along. :frenchdrunk:

President, Colonial Campaigns Club

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:45 pm 

Yes and I hope that members are not afraid about the use of the scenario editor in placing the troops. It really is quite easy if proper instructions are given.

Formations can be changed in the editor, you can add in Fatigue too if you like or lower Strengths if that were part of the setup too.

The addition of bridges is done in the editor too. Those would all be added (with or without strength as needed). That really is easier to do if the setup is to use an existing set of bridge locations/strengths from an existing scenario. I would just copy the bridge values from the existing scenario to the new scenario.

Also: folks could use this format for battle scenarios where they want to "tweak" or adjust the setup of forces already placed on the map. Want to move the French VI Corps from the center to the left flank at Waterloo? Sure, easy to do.

Warning: Once folks find out how easy it is to use the editor they may get hooked on making up their own custom scenarios. :frenchcool

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:43 am 

The addition of bridges is done in the editor too. Those would all be added (with or without strength as needed). That really is easier to do if the setup is to use an existing set of bridge locations/strengths from an existing scenario. I would just copy the bridge values from the existing scenario to the new scenario.

Also: folks could use this format for battle scenarios where they want to "tweak" or adjust the setup of forces already placed on the map. Want to move the French VI Corps from the center to the left flank at Waterloo? Sure, easy to do.

So how would this work? Using the Armies at Austerlitz scn as an example, what would be the guidelines? I'm assuming a demarcation line will be chosen prior to deployment, but for meeting engagements, what would be an appropriate distance? 20 hexes from the demarcation line? 50? What about fortifications? Surely there would have to be limits on trenching and abatis. Also, I don't know what they would be at this point, but I'm certain there will be someone trying something that would be considered gamey. (I for one plan to dump every unit I'm allowed in a single fortified hex and dare anyone to break me ... the editor allows unlimited stacking) :frenchwink:

Podporuchik Bill Barker
Tarnopol Infantry Regiment
2nd Brigade, 27th Infantry Division
Imperial Russian Corps

"Those who give up liberty for safety, deserve neither liberty or safety!" A wise man once said, If we value anything more than freedom, we'll lose our freedom. And if we value comfort or money more, we will lose those too." Benjamin Franklin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:15 pm 

For meeting engagements I would use 80 hexes, or out of visibility range, as my rule.

For Austerlitz, I would say that the players could use their natural defensive positions. Most Allied players probably would redistribute those forces on the left to somewhere else.

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:38 am 

Bill Peters wrote:
Most Allied players probably would redistribute those forces on the left to somewhere else.

Hmm ... where to put the Russians? ... Any defensible position you say? :twisted:

Podporuchik Bill Barker
Tarnopol Infantry Regiment
2nd Brigade, 27th Infantry Division
Imperial Russian Corps

"Those who give up liberty for safety, deserve neither liberty or safety!" A wise man once said, If we value anything more than freedom, we'll lose our freedom. And if we value comfort or money more, we will lose those too." Benjamin Franklin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:29 pm 

That sounds interesting, I would like to start such a game. Is it still, or I'll be late?
Best wishes

Martin

Leibgrenadier-Bataillon Mecklenberg-Schwerin
28. Infanterie-Regiment (Bergisches)
Prussian Army

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:55 am 

take me in if you have one room left

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:15 am 

what's Dominik's OOB editor?

is it easy to merge OOB as for .scn ?

I ask myself if an operational game could be create somewhere?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:20 am 

I am sorry guys... due to game design commitment for now I cannot start this one up.

Dominik Derwinski has an OOB editor for both the ACW and Nap series. You can edit the OB files (.oob) easily. It also has reports you can generate on vital statistics such as overall morale percentage of an army and so on.

I am not sure if the OOB editor is on the club links page but you can check.

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:16 am 

ok thank Bill I was able to find it

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:23 pm 

I am back in action and would like to pursue this game. I will contact each interested member in order of the reply and we can start up the game.

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:04 pm 

Hi Bill,if there's a free place I would be glad to join you.

Rgds.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:08 pm 

Giovanni - as long as we dont have to use Embedded Melee. Just too hard for me to work with ....

NWC Founding Member