Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:16 pm 

Jim Pfleck wrote:
And why we are wishing for new games, I want to see Eylau, more from the French Revolution, the Franco Prussian War, the Austro-Prussian War (7 weeks war), Crimea, the Wars for Italian Independence and 1848 battles, and the 7 Years War.

The 30YW! The Marlburian Wars! The 30YW! The Marlburian Wars! The 30YW! The Marlburian Wars! :frenchcharge:

But only with innovated engine.
'Creators' do not improve games basically. So many years we play with the same unrealistic and openly stupid lapses and trips.
They just attire the old engine with a new dress - it is not the right way, gentlemen. :displeased: :frenchangry:

Chevalier Guards Regiment

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:24 pm 

Nice to see another expert on the Thirty Years War around.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:24 pm 

S_Trauth wrote:
Nice to see another expert on the Thirty Years War around.

Not so really an expert, Sir, but a very hot fan of the theme.
Since 1978, when I read my first book on it - the famous Schiller's monograph.
The King Gustavus II Adolphus and his great army - my favorite object especially is .

Steve, the existing long standing vacuum around it just throws me into despair.
So much, that I have begun my own HPS-based project - the 1631 Campaign custom scenario.
I have some small experience after my Napoleonic ones, but what much more important - I have the great wish and time to do that. It is the breathtaking creative process. I love it.
I like to work on OOBs and Icons especially.
I am a historian, and to make search and work with info sources - it is my "horse".
Besides, I just adore Uniformology and Vecsilogy.
I started approximately a month ago and OOB is already.

Steve, if you work on the theme, or you are going to work, I am ready to help you as a volunteer.
Just for to accelerate the process and to get the game as soon as possible.

If it is interesting for you, you could see my topic 'Pike and Shot Tactics' in the TWS' Renaissance Art of War forum. That is only the first of those I am going put there.

Sincerely yours -

Chevalier Guards Regiment

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:35 pm 

I bought "Pike and Shot Campaigns" from Slitherine Ltd. and enjoyed a lot of the game but the charge follow up drove me nuts. Their game on the Japanese Samurai period used "period" looking maps and I balked on buying it for that reason. After the lovely graphics for P&S it just puzzles me why they did that. They turned the lovely Japanese countryside into a paper mache' looking map. UGH! :french???:

I agree, Vladmir, that there is a huge vacuum for these games. Folks seem to be stuck on WW2, Dungeons and Dragons and Warcraft/Warhammer. :frenchlol1:

Hoping to see a Thirty Years War game from JTS eventually. Other topics in the period as well. English Civil War and other English Wars would be nice. Talked with Rich White about the ECW and his comment was that the armies are small. Well that is ok. Smaller scenarios are ok. If we see 300 man pike units rather than 800 that works for me. :thumbsup:

Seven Years War and the Wars of the Spanish and Austrian Secession would be nice as well.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:06 pm 

A few years back I read Browning's War of Austrian succession and it was truly fascinating. I would love to see those battles and I would love to see AGEOD do it as well. What a complicated mess of alliances and political interests.

I think that mid 19th Century games could build on the American Civil War Engine and that the 1600 to 1760's games could use the Renaissance or Napoleon engines with modifications.

JTS/HPS has always said that they do not announce games in advance (or let designers or playtesters discuss them) because they never know for sure when they will be done. Eylau and Leizpig were both begun around the time Eckmuhl was released. Bill was the 2nd designer on Leipzig and, as he noted, Eylau is on its 3rd and hopefully will be finished before we are all too old to sit at the computer (hang in there Sellick!). So I get there point even if I do find it really frustrating (although I will say, my list of scenarios I want to play is over 20 scenarios long now that Marengo is out, so I will be kept busy).

I agree with the sentiments that there are many changes that would make the Napoleonic games better, but I doubt more than small things will happen (and there have been many changes along the way based on designer input and player feedback--- Tomas Nowacki and I helped get the no melee eliminations rule enacted due to our concise customer feedback, Bill has gotten all sorts of rule changes in, etc).

So, unless another company comes up with games on the same scale, we either play these games and find ways to enjoy them (as Vlad and others do with modding, some use the embedded melee, I am playing 2 phased based game now). But for me, since Bill adopted the 10 minute move format, the games have played more historical IMHO...