Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Would You Purchase This Item If It Were Available
Poll ended at Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:07 pm
Yes 71%  71%  [ 5 ]
No 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 7
 Post subject: Feedback Needed: Poll
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:07 pm 

I am working on the battles of Engen, 2nd Stockach and Messkirch. I was given a link to a French book and there are three chapters in the book devoted to the three battles.

As one of my work projects (aside from John) I am going to start translating the two chapters that cover Engen and Stockach from French to English. I then will post them on Amazon Books for purchase. I am going to ask $2 for the work. There are 51 pages for these two chapters. A reference map will be included. Consider this a "sampler" (so to speak) of my work. Folks can get this if they are dubious of my translation skills.

Please respond to the poll and also provide any comments here if you like. Eventually I would like to translate the entire book. This would cost more of course. More like $30-35. It will include maps - more than just reference maps - these would show the positions of the units on the map at various stages of the battles.

As work right now is still on hold I am looking for alternate ways of earning cash. I want to know if this sounds of interest to many of you seeing that this period is covered so poorly in English (other than Dodge's summary accounts and others like him who do not go into great detail on the combat of these battles).

Note: yes, us folks in the US may not be French native language speakers but the text of the Hourtoulle books (French to English) leaves much to be desired too ... I plan on having someone that is .1 French language native and 2. Military history savvy read this before I publish it. It will thus have an "editor" and it will not be a "one man act" like a lot of works we see these days. This person will have both the original text AND the "draft" copy of my translation available.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:17 pm 

The 3 battles are connected, so it is a logical endeavor.

Good luck.

President, Colonial Campaigns Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:50 am 

If I find that the work is easy I will add in the chapter the deals with the days leading up to the Battles of Engen and Stockach.

Then my next work would be to add in the two chapters for Messkirch - the march to Messkirch and the battle that followed.

Trying to do five chapters for my first attempt would be a bit much.

The Messkirch battle involved almost as many troops as the previous two.

For that do not know what Engen, Stockach and Messkirch are they are located northeast of Zurich. Stockach is near a large lake - Lake Constance. Many Germans know this area. A popular vacation spot for them.

This area is west of Ulm. Biberach followed Messkirch. A much smaller affair.

I have to add on one small section to my large "Engen-Stockach Operational" map in order to have all of the area that was involved for the battle of Engen. Will start work on that tomorrow.

In the meantime I did some elementary translating today and found that it will work out well. If I find I cant decipher a phrase I have a friend or two that can help me out.

For anyone that would like to edit the "draft" version of the text contact me. I can guarantee that you will get a free copy of the game once its released plus we can discuss cash options too. I need someone that is both French and English proficient. Native French language is a must with the ability to know how to translate into English.

This will be a good effort for me to get involved in - I took two years of French in school and have wanted to follow up on it for many years. I want to see if I can find a site that is all about French verbs. Just input the word and it would tell me the base verb and the tense and person that the word uses.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:36 am 

The only stuff I have read on this is Dodge, which is well over 100 years old