Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:02 am 

Here are the results thus far

Victories

Dejan Zupancic vs. Bill Peters

Bill Peters has reported a Minor Victory for the allies

Paco vs. Sir Muddy

Paco has reported a major victory for the French

Theron Lambert vs. Stefano Ciampoli

Theron Lambert has reported a major victory for the French

Ernie Sands vs. Jim Pfluecke

Jim Pfluecke has report a major victory vs Ernie Sands

Ed Blackburn vs. Jim Hall

Jim Hall has reported a major victory for the allied side.

Mark Oakford vs. Petr Michalek

Mark Oakford has claimed a major Victory for the French side

Still under way

Zbyszek Pietras vs. Unikorn

2ème Brigade,
2ème Division,
1er Corps d'Armée,
La Grande Armée

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:46 am 

Lets go, Allies! :thumbsup: :frenchvive1:

Beat those French! :frenchcool1:

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:15 pm 

It would be interesting to know the scenarios played by the combatants. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:11 am 

Ernie and I are playing the Lodi scenario from Marengo. We are in turn 10 of 16.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:01 pm 

I posted a brief report somewhere but I'll add it here. We played Lodi from Marengo.

On turn one I sent a battalion with leader into the teeth of the guns and assaulted the infantry holding it while sending cavalry across the fords on the left and light infantry toward the fords on the right. I was lucky enough to have his defending battalion rout away immediately. He left the battery covering the bridge in place and it was captured next turn after which I was able to cross rapidly with the elite infantry & the HQ cavalry to be followed by the guns and 3rd Division (though I'd sent the light infantry from 3rd Division to follow the cavalry across the fords in case I was delayed at the bridge).

My opponent attempted to retreat using his light infantry as a skirmisher screen to delay my advance but they were poorly supported resulting in the bulk of them being isolated and destroyed. He beat a hasty and disorganized retreat toward Fontana allowing me to cut off and destroy several battalions and also isolate the cavalry on his right. He was totally defensive during this withdrawal which gave me the opportunity to selectively melee and isolate units; I think only one partial battalion of light infantry (his best units) made it to his defensive line. As I mopped up a few stragglers he committed his remaining cavalry from the forward brigades in an attempt to save them resulting in them being isolated and destroyed as well. He used Fontana to anchor his left flank with a line angling off to the northwest. By about turn 9 I was turning both flanks of his line and he conceded.

He elected to not use embedded melee which made it relatively easy to isolate units, especially the unsupported skirmishers (melee to make a hole, push a few companies through to cut off retreat, then melee the now isolated skirmishers who surrender).

I believe he felt the game was unbalanced due to his units being fixed early on though most were released early by my advance.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:38 pm 

The trick with that lone battalion is to put it into Extended Line almost immediately. Also to make gaps so that LOS allows units to release.

Sorry if his battalion routed on turn 1. That can happen but its really rare.

Embedded Melee was used in our game but it has no bearing on the bridge.... on or off you can only melee with ONE unit. That is the key.

My Austrian squadrons usually charge anything that gets across ... I make sure to leave an LOS so that they release if a unit crosses.

Another trick: the French sometimes like to get a bit daring in crossing at the fords and use the ones on the left closest to the Austrians that are fixed. Not only will that release some of them but I put an Austrian battalion across the fords and attack French cavalry in the woods. My French opponent was shocked to find out that cavalry can be attacked in the woods.

With a little luck and good tactical placement the bridge does not fall til at least turn 9 and the flanking cavalry will not have combined arms until the infantry crosses with it. Usually turn 12 at the earliest. By then Austrian units are released and its a real dogfight.

Some French players make the mistake of keeping all of the elite infantry in Lodi instead of crossing at the fords. If they get across the Austrians are going to have a hard time.

Sorry that the unit routed .... in my game we had a version mismatch which forced a reset. In one of the resets my lone unit at the bridge routed as well but then my opponent could not load the game file. It helps to make sure that both players are using the same version of the game. He updated his game and in the second game we were able to finish without any mishaps. I almost blew the victory too .... left the village open and the exit hexes ... fortunately he wouldn't have gotten enough to cause a Draw had he exited.

Jury still out on this scenario. I am always open to play it with anyone if they have an axe to grind about the design. Paco and I playtested it 3-4 times before we got to this version. Its similar to the Landshut bridge scenario except that destroying the bridge is not possible as the French can always stick skirmishers on all of the bridge hexes.

Note: on the releasing of the Austrians ... I need to release the commanding officer and I think a supply wagon ... they stay fixed after that line of Austrians battalions and cavalry of "1 Kolonne" have released. Also may release the "1 Kolonne" a turn earlier. Same for the "3 Kolonne" which is a group of Grenzer battalions. Either that or remove the two buildings at hexes 26, 18 and 27, 19 which block LOS to the bridge. Just move them back a hex.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

Last edited by Bill Peters on Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:02 am 

Antonio won't be in action until September. I'm happy to drop out.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:25 am 

Andy Moss wrote:
Antonio won't be in action until September. I'm happy to drop out.

Andy,

If Antonio is unavailable until September, he should simply default/resign so you can move on to the 2nd round.

Regards,

Paco

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:30 am 

That wouldn't be fair. We hadn't even agreed on a scenario let alone started playing.