Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:34 pm 

Gentlemen,
with the recent troubles 2 of our members had regarding a game I thought it be useful to point something out.
All HPS owners that want their games updated to the level of the latest JTS patch should do it in this order:
1. Install HPS game.
2. Install latest HPS patch.
3. Install latest JTS patch.
By this one should have the most recent files and should not run into the same troubles these members had.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:55 am 

Thanks for pointing this out! Glad its a Sticky too.

:thumbsup:

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:04 am 

I updated Jena as mentioned and I still have that "orchard" hex showing as a "clear" hex.

I mentioned it to JTS support and sent a pdf describing where it was located.

If anyone would like to see the pdf or scn file.......email me at dukemat at yahoo dot com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:42 am 

Weird, but the map data is in the map file not the *.scn. The header to my jena_campaign_Large.map (open file with text editor) reads:
Quote:
898 684
140 30 0 4035566 1

I think the second to last number is a checksum but, all our values here should match. I imagine the first character in your header is 1 (map version) and you are just having difficulties uninstalling then re-installing and patching correctly. Like ensuring the installation directory is correct during install and patching. For instance it is possible that you have two copies of the game installed one updated and the other a release version being run through shortcut. I might also suggest not attempting to install the JTS.com patch over an updated HPS version since it should be redundant in this case.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:05 am 

I took my problem to Rich at JTS support and he had the answer.

the problem was with my 2d features 100 and 50

I changed those and all is good.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:04 pm 

That this has impact in the game is strange for me, these are just graphic files and shouldn't matter for game mechanics like disorder, anyhow good to see it solved.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:06 pm 

Christian Hecht wrote:
That this has impact in the game is strange for me, these are just graphic files and shouldn't matter for game mechanics like disorder, anyhow good to see it solved.

I don't think you understood the problem.

1. the map showed a road hex and the road graphic was clear.............just an everyday road hex.
2. On closer examination the hex was in fact an "orchard" hex.........clicking on it showed the contents in the lower left corner.
3. when cavary moved to this road hex and stacked in it , the cavalry disrupted.

I have switched 2dfeatures from one game to others in the past, not realizing that sometimes it could be a problem.

JTS Support comes through again........all is good now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:47 pm 

Yea still does not make any sense, 2dfeatures is a graphic file but that the terrain should be in the map file and that is what matters.
I could change the graphic like ever I want and it wouldn't matter as the map data is what the game engine is working after. If the terrain was show as orchard in the info box it was orchard on the map file and that is why the unit disorder as the road graphic didn't matter.
AFAIk this comes down to the new 2D terrain slopes that were added with the latest patches, some graphic files from before just don't fit anymore. All the graphic mods won't work unless made for the post slopes version.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:57 pm 

Christian Hecht wrote:
Yea still does not make any sense, 2dfeatures is a graphic file but that the terrain should be in the map file and that is what matters.
I could change the graphic like ever I want and it wouldn't matter as the map data is what the game engine is working after. If the terrain was show as orchard in the info box it was orchard on the map file and that is why the unit disorder as the road graphic didn't matter.
AFAIk this comes down to the new 2D terrain slopes that were added with the latest patches, some graphic files from before just don't fit anymore. All the graphic mods won't work unless made for the post slopes version.

the terrain in the map file does show "O" for orchard. I checked that.

there was something in the 2dfeature 100 that was preventing the hex from being painted with the orchard symbol.

Rich at JTS support pointed me to the 2dfeature as the potential problem.

Whether it makes sense to you or not, changing the 2dfeature100 solved the problem.

I changed nothing else.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:11 pm 

Clint, were you originally using a mod by any chance? Just trying to work out if it was something I did. I got mods in place for all of the NB stuff -so, if it isn't I probably never saw it.

Chances are, though, based on what you were saying -that issue was going to be caused in all of your scenarios in that title.

Basically what happened is that there was the wrong design put in a place where the orchard was supposed to be, it doesn't really matter how the map is designed as the program will call a graphic from a set location on a bmp file. That is what sounds like Clint was having happen.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:03 pm 

S_Trauth wrote:
Clint, were you originally using a mod by any chance? Just trying to work out if it was something I did. I got mods in place for all of the NB stuff -so, if it isn't I probably never saw it.

Chances are, though, based on what you were saying -that issue was going to be caused in all of your scenarios in that title.

Basically what happened is that there was the wrong design put in a place where the orchard was supposed to be, it doesn't really matter how the map is designed as the program will call a graphic from a set location on a bmp file. That is what sounds like Clint was having happen.

hi

yes I had various mods in place.

I did not check if it was happening in other scenarios.

it was not really a big deal......I just happened to stumble on the hex. I don't really play Jena all that much.

I think the big deal is, if anyone has a problem with a game mechanic, JTS Support is on it as soon as you ask for help.

I have asked Rich quite a few times for help and he is great about answering.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:07 am 

Touching back on this in a recent discussion about JTS updates being used solely to update an HPS CD image install version 1; don't do it. No, wrong. Stop.
Running a unix difference command on the two patch directories there are 151 differences. Which means about 140 missing files if you don't use the HPS update. The JTS update cannot be used to update your HPS game and there should be no reason to transition other than the top down zoom-in code update for Austerlitz at this time. Otherwise, the JTS patches just have image/sound changes. The only difference between version 1 jena_campaign_large.map and version 1.02 is the checksum (line 3, byte 24). Otherwise, the maps are totally similar and weren't at issue in Clint's earlier problem.

Last edited by Geoff McCarty on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:14 am 

That's going to depend on the patch and game. I may be wrong, but my understanding is that from here on out, patches will only be through JTS. So, say, when the post-Eylau patchswarm hits, the only updates will be posted at JTS, not at HPS. So, there may still be some cases where the patches are still essentially "aligned," but in time, the only way to be sure you are up to date is to go with the JTS patch.

Austrian Army

Scenario Designer:
JTS Midway
JTS Seven Years War

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:50 am 

It may be true that the JTS patch has missing files but if that is an error or done on purpose isn't clear.
Anyhow if you want to advance to the patch level used by JTS you have to do it the way I posted it for "Austerlitz Campaign" & "Napoleon's Russian Campaign" as those have not received a HPS version of the latest JTS patch.
Only way to bring them safely up to date is:
1. Install HPS game.
2. Install latest HPS patch.
3. Install latest JTS patch.

Other HPS titles currently still have an HPS patch of the latest JTS patch, but I'm sure that will change in the future and so you will have to handle them the same way.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:31 pm 

It looks like the most recent JTS update from some of the Nap games was not combined with the older files. That will be corrected the next time an update is worked on. In the mean time applying an HPS update followed by the JTS update should resolve any issues that exist.

57ème Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne

2ème Brigade
2ème Division
4ème Corps d'Armée
La Grande Armée