Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:15 pm 

Considering using generic strength than I'd suggest setting the units to 2400 men. That way they lose twice as many to begin with and realistically when degenerated in half would receive half as much casualties from fire. After proofing the equation firepower 4 muskets are good. A weather fire mod of 67% is perfect. It allows similar strength units 10% losses for the first turn of closed range full attack. The density mod is a key feature of combat simulation and should never be scripted out. Great thing about much higher strength units is that fatigue actually would start to work. Fatigue is way to high to record combat fatigue sustained over several turns of brutal volley fire. Higher strength would assist the units against disorder/rout for low to moderate casualty damage as well.

Followup to criticism of the 'one attacker per adjacent hex in melee' house rule is that it allows for a frontage consideration of who may actually advance to close combat with the attacked hex. If there is only one lane or hex to advance from than realistically there should be half as much potential of getting combatants there than a defender open to two hexes of attack. If the units are in echelon than that is covered by using MIM and allowing the echeloned unit attacking from the same hex to followup the advance on the defender should the first echelon fail to break in. Each lane of assault is a 60° sector triangulating equilaterally on approach. The attacked position allows only a single formation larger than an infantry peloton to realistically line up, advance, return fire and engage by wedging into that sector of the enemy formation during a single action.

My classic problem with the rule was never with infantry which is obviously more realistic and better in game theory but, cavalry versus cavalry melee. To make multiple melees against the defending cavalry the problem with high melee casualties only gets compounded. Perhaps mean defender casualties could be increased towards 0.1/attacker (in parity with the defense average) through a weather melee mod of up to +67%. Melee terrain modifier could also be switched off representing both units being in close quarters without disimilar terrain obstruction. So, at least there is more regulation of casualties even if they are a flawed high amount. This would also increase the vulnerability of disorganized units at the frontlines. Though I'm more inclined to increase melee defense>attack just to further spoil that ahistorical game exploitation out of spite. I think it is a great rule that is easy to implement but, a couple kinks that need further solution without over complication.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:54 am 

Gentlemen,

I've added a Waterloo scenario: basically a corrected version of "The Ridge", with Van Bijlandt's brigade, the Grand Battery and Lobau's corps deployed in their proper positions (to name the most notable changes). You can check it out here.

I Corps
Anglo-Allied Army
(2001-2004)

Wargaming the Waterloo Campaign

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:07 pm 

Very good, the community will surely appreciate it that someone finally corrects the scenarios. :frenchvive: :frenchvive: :frenchvive:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:58 pm 

Thanks Christian!

I Corps
Anglo-Allied Army
(2001-2004)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:33 pm 

1e Luitenant Boersma,
I see on your webpage that your work continues.
Mind dropping some infos here?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:50 pm 

Christian Hecht wrote:
1e Luitenant Boersma,
I see on your webpage that your work continues.
Mind dropping some infos here?

Not at all mon général. I gladly cut & paste the updates since my last post here below (from the updates.txt). I basically work on it as the whim strikes me. I've come halfway putting the Anglo-Allied Right Wing on the map before other matters needed my attention. But who knows... Meanwhile, should there be questions I will do my best to answer them.

----------------------

24-11-2018: Version 6. Added scenario 4.0. The pdt and oob modifications for Waterloo are discussed at the end of 2.2 Parameter Data and 2.3 Order of Battle at http://home.deds.nl/~1815. For Quatre Bras the combat modifier of Walls has been strongly reduced, see also 2.2 Parameter Data.

2-10-2019: Version 7. Corrected an error in the Quatre Bras oob which gave the ½-battery horse artillery Gey 2 guns too many in Quatre Bras scenario 3.5 [HB_Quatre_Bras_3.5_Variant.scn].

13-10-2019: Version 8. Revised the early stages of scenario 2.0 "From Frasnes Onwards" [HB_Quatre_Bras_2.0_Manoeuvre.scn]. 2nd Orange Nassau now comes marching from Bousval as it should. Corrected early Allied reinforcements. Because night turns last one hour these had to be compressed somewhat. Added objective hexes at Houtain-le-Val and Thyle. Order of battle: 1st Orange Nassau is now QL C (was QL B) as it did not have the Peninsular War experience of the 2nd Nassau Regiment.

26-10-2019: Version 9. Quatre Bras scenarios: The Brunswick corps now arrives fixed at Genappe well before Picton's division and is released to follow that division on its march to Quatre Bras, as per the historical event. Previously some Brunswick and Netherlands units arrived on the map understrength, this is now fixed. In the historical scenarios Kellermann's French cavalry now arrives fixed rather than becoming fixed later on, so that a player does not end up with a fixed unit blocking the road. In scenario 3.0 "The Battle of Quatre Bras" [HB_Quatre_Bras_3.0_Historical.scn] there were previously releases for formations not present on the map, these have been deleted.

I Corps
Anglo-Allied Army
(2001-2004)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:28 pm 

Hans,

Downloaded your packet. Looks impressive. Nice work.

Réserve de Cavalerie, La Grande Armée

“Ask Before Activating Al”

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:26 am 

Al Amos wrote:
Hans,

Downloaded your packet. Looks impressive. Nice work.

Sorry for my belated response, Al. Thanks for your comment!

I Corps
Anglo-Allied Army
(2001-2004)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:25 am 

Great work!

I've just had a look at The Ridge and it's a lot more sensible than the original.

One question - 4 of the Hanoverian Landweher battalions which are Restricted, have a skirmisher company deployed. Is that accidental or by design?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:11 pm 

Ah, caught red-handed! By design — more or less. I guess I just needed skirmishers to establish the skirmisher line. And I probably read this in mr. De Wit's study about these troops deploying skirmishers:
https://www.waterloo-campaign.nl/bestan ... irst.2.pdf
Bottom of page 5, top of page 6. Of course one might instead deploy skirmishers from other units (the Dutch 27e Jagers, or 79th Cameron), or thin out the skirmisher line.

& Thanks!

I Corps
Anglo-Allied Army
(2001-2004)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:22 pm 

Interesting! Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:25 am 

Not sure why this has gone unnoticed but now all the scenarios from the Expansion Pack by Hans Boersma are in the scenario db. Games can be officially registered for them.
Thanks to Général de Brigade Bursch for bringing this to my attention.

Looking forward to add more(a full Waterloo would be wonderful).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:46 am 

Yes, I second all that !

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:04 am 

Bill Peters just requested support for the "Battle of Ligny" for the next Campaign Waterloo Update.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16294
Maybe Luitenant Boersma has something to contribute to?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:51 am 

Alas, my knowledge about Ligny is sketchy at best. I would however argue that presenting Quatre Bras and Ligny on one map would make sense — like the "twin battle" setup of the old Talonsoft game.

I Corps
Anglo-Allied Army
(2001-2004)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next