Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 11:56 pm 

I would like to thank Hans Boersma to his expansion pack!

Now, I have played the HB_QB_historical 3.0 scn for the second time by pbem.

I have been playing the French side and experienced that in this 30 turns scenario substantial French reinforcements arrive only in turn 27!!! Visibility is then only 4 hexes! and the units are all fatigued by 400. These reinforcements are useless!!! The Allied reinforcements come in far more earlier and in substantial quality and quantity and influence the odds and performance considerably.

I respect gamers/modders who alternate a scenario as historical as possible, but at the end of the day it is just playing a digital game.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 12:10 am 

Well as 3.0 is the historical scenario it is supposed to be as historical as possible, that includes all the good and all the bad stuff. If reinforcements arrive too late, well then they arrive too late.
I suggest taking a look at the 5 variants if on of them is more convenient.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:01 am 

Thanks for the response, Raymond. To be clear, play balance is the last of my concerns, and no concern whatsoever in the historical scenarios. I flatter myself with the thought that they might add to one's understanding of (the mechanics of) a battle.

The French forces arriving near the end are indeed useless; they are D'Erlons Corps which had been marching between Quatre Bras and Ligny and Quatre Bras... hence the fatigue. By the way, the Allied side also receives reinforcements that arrive too late to play any meaningful role. These useless reinforcements serve to illustrate that Quatre Bras was "a meeting engagement in which both sides struggled to get the necessary forces on the battlefield" (to quote myself).

The scenario you played gave you the same restrictions Ney faced, notably in the use of his cavalry. Scenario 3.1 takes these restrictions away, so you might want to try that one; the set-up is the same. Or 3.2, which gives the French player more freedom to choose his point(s) of attack, or to start harassing De Perponcher early on. Or, of course, Scenario 3.4 if you still can't win :frenchwink:

Hope you enjoy!

I Corps
Anglo-Allied Army
(2001-2004)

Wargaming the Waterloo Campaign

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:38 am 

Hello Hans and Christian, thank you for answering to my comment.

Hans has very well explained his intentions while preparing the historical scenario. As a gamer, I will surely have a closer look to HB_'s alternative scenarios. This is new for me! But nevertheless, why shall we not create a historical scenario which is not meant to challenge an opponent than else to be regarded as a "study" using JTS's platform. Good idea!

thank you, Hans, and I hope you may continue creating more scenarios in this Waterloo campaign.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:24 pm 

Nice to see them as part of the latest Waterloo patch, well deserved recognition of this work!