Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:41 am 

Great improvements!

Bill Peters wrote:
6. The Grenadier regiments of Oudinot were not organized as per 1807. At first I thought of varying the units images used and include Voltiguers and so on. Turns out it was just the Grenadier companies that were siphoned off of the Line regiments so I left the images alone.

Mh, afaik it were all of the "elite companies" of a regiment. So each battalion of a line regiment provided a grenadier and a voltigeur company, each battalion of a legere regiment provided a carabinier and a voltigeur company.
Not sure what to make of it uniform wise but one fact could help, the carabiniers were order to return their bearkins and adapt shakos, so maybe a bearksin solder for the regiments that collected from line regiments, and a shako soldier for those that collected from legere regiments.
The 1st & 2nd regiment collected from line regiments while the 3rd to 5th from legere regiments.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:45 am 

What Robert Goetz said in his book on the Austerlitz campaign was that in this particular case ONLY the elite Grenadier company was stripped from the regiments that offered up the men for these Grenadier regiments.

I should check with Paco Palomo on this but I am sure that Goetz knew what he was talking about.

So later on in 1807 the Voltiguers were added in .... at least that is how I read it ... these regiments were "provisional" meaning they were not permanent. Their composition changed as the need arose.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:05 am 

Sample page from the Campaign Austerlitz Unit Artwork PDF:

Attachment:
Austerlitz Artwork Sample Page.jpg

Each of our games needs this kind of treatment.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:50 pm 

Nice!

Bill Peters wrote:
What Robert Goetz said in his book on the Austerlitz campaign was that in this particular case ONLY the elite Grenadier company was stripped from the regiments that offered up the men for these Grenadier regiments.

I should check with Paco Palomo on this but I am sure that Goetz knew what he was talking about.

So later on in 1807 the Voltiguers were added in .... at least that is how I read it ... these regiments were "provisional" meaning they were not permanent. Their composition changed as the need arose.

But then Goetz bring himself in trouble, either the grenadier only thing is correct but then his numbers must be wrong, or his numbers are right and he is wrong(or meant something else) regarding the used companies. Afaik the French grenadier companies at this stage were even smaller(80-90) then the usual French companies of 120 men, that 3 grenadier companies are collected to form a battalion and that this would be so large doesn't work out. Even for the smallest regiment he gives 762 men, that would be 381 per battalion what would mean about 127 men per company, so already here doesn't work out and the largest regiment he gives has 1070 men what clearly proves there must be other companies then only the grenadiers in them.
Sizes he gives are:
1st Grenadier Regiment 762
2nd Grenadier Regiment 1025
3rd Grenadier Regiment 941
4th Grenadier Regiment 857
5th Grenadier Regiment 1070

Looking at Nafziger numbers from various OOBs in 1805 even after the campaign the batallions were too strong for having only 3 companies.
5 December 1805 shows:
Grenadier Division: Général de division Oudinot
Brigade: Généraux de brigade Dupas & Ruffin
1st Grenadier Regiment
58th Line Regiment (16/439)
13th Line Regiment (15/508)
2nd Grenadier Regiment
9th Line Regiment (19/470)
81st Line Regiment (15/515)
3rd Grenadier Regiment
2nd Légère Regiment (18/499)
3rd Légère Regiment (18/549)
4th Grenadier Regiment
28th Légère Regiment (20/547)
31st Légère Regiment (22/588)
5th Grenadier Regiment
12th Légère Regiment (20/560)
15th Légère Regiment (20/516)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:23 pm 

Yes, I am not going to mess around with strengths at this point. The French Gren./Elite regiments will remain as is.

Today I finished up with the Grenadier AND Fusilier morale/artwork numbering/renaming of regiment name sub-project. Just to be on the safe side I sent what I have so far to Rich Hamilton for safe keeping. What a mess the OBs were! Quel dommage!!!

:frenchlol:

I duplicated the Russian grenadier image (#54) and put it in the two open slots (#89 and #124). Here is what you get now:

Fusilier - Morale 5 - uses #124 Units.bmp - #29 for 3D (as do all of the units in question)

Grenadier bn. of GRs - Morale 6 - uses #89 Units.bmp

Line Grenadier - Morale 5 - uses #54 of Units.bmp

The line infantry stay the same as do the Eger (Jager) units.

All Fanatical morale notations were removed (the "-" sign: -4 became 6 for the Gren. Bn. of the GRs, etc.) and the morale rating changed to the appropriate value.

Now on to finishing up the Russian artillery sections and I should be done.

I want to try and identify two images in the Units.bmp file. One of them I know is a Saxon. Mark did not put a weapon image with that unit. The Saxons were never used in the game. My mistake on that. The 3D images are there too. For a future update I will add them into the Four Nations OB file under the Prussian army.

The other image is of a Confed of the Rhine unit. I might post it here and say "Name this unit" and see if anyone can figure it out.

Anyway, a big toast to you for helping me pick up on this. I never would have believed how much work this generated. I had an inkling that it would take me a while to figure out. It was good that I got the artwork PDF completed. Its really helped me in fixing the artwork numbers.

Before I put out the update I plan on checking EVERY artwork number combination (that is, Units.bmp # and 3D #) in Ultra Edit to see if there are errors. We already covered the Corsican units so I know that they are right. I want to see how the rest of the game looks. I found errors with the Austrian infantry and fixed them but I want to check again.

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:51 am 

Thanks for these improvements. :frenchsalute:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:46 pm 

Halfway or more done with the Russian artillery section sub-project. During this time I added in a Saxon Division to the Austerlitz-pr OB file and added them to the "Four Monarchs" scenario (#23). I also added in two French corps (Marmont's II Corps and remainder of Ney's VI Corps) to balance the numbers. I never realized how unbalanced it was numerically.

I will have the update done by the weekend. I will be sending out the update to interested parties so if you have not indicated you are interested let me know and I will be sure to let you look over the update before it goes out. This update I will send is a "DRAFT" update and will NOT contain all of the graphics and program files that Rich Hamilton is adding to the final version of the update. Its just the work that I did on the game.

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:18 pm 

Looking forward to. :frenchcharge:

With the Russian infantry now improved, have you decided on the A-rated Russian artillery?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:23 am 

Guard arty is now all 7 (A+) rated. Line artillery remained as is. No reductions there ....

NWC Founding Member