Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:52 am 

Gents,
I'm curious about the way certain things in SYW have been received, and have a couple of questions. Hopefully it's ok to ask them here, instead of off in the SYW feedback section (so they don't get lost).

In several situations (Prague, Kolin, Rossbach and Leuthen notably come to mind) I put two versions of the scenarios in. "Long" and "short". Generally, the long one has the attacking side (usually the Prussians) in their early morning positions.

To wit:
A) Prague: The Prussians are actually well to the N of the Austrian position, giving them the option to either attack directly from the N, or do what they did in history and swing around to the E face of the Austrian position.
B) Kolin: Again, the Prussians are to the N, giving them the chance to either advance directly, or move to the Austrian right (as they did in history)
C) Rossbach: The Franco/Imperial is to the West of the Prussians, before they tried their march around the Prussian south flank.
D) Leuthen, the Prussians are well west, facing a small advance guard, well before their march to the Austrian left (south) flank.

The "short" version of each of those has the troops in their historical positions after the major deployments have been made, just before the action starts.

My question is not just "which do you prefer" but maybe more to the point, which ones are you playing? All I have is the records at the Blitz, and I get the impression that other than Kolin, people are actually playing the shorter version more often.

Austrian Army

Scenario Designer:
JTS Midway
JTS Seven Years War

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:19 am 

042 Rossbach long for me. It's turning into an allied romp but that may be due to the optional rules selected among other things. That and objective hexes which seem to be miles away from the Prussians and indefensable.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:59 am 

Andy,
That's always going to be a tough situation for the Prussians. It's a classic "quality vs numbers" battle, but the numerical disparity is honestly a bit too high unless the F-I forces just plain old screw up by the numbers. Which is what they did historically. (Though even 043 is an uphill fight, even with the Prussian positional advantage)

I'll look at the southern pair of VP hexes for the next patch (though that'll be away down the line.)

Austrian Army

Scenario Designer:
JTS Midway
JTS Seven Years War

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:05 pm 

Gary - am I correct in thinking that the SYW games play out very much like the EAW series except for the cavalry charge option? I am suspecting that fire is more important than assaults, unlike the Napoleonic series where most people favor the latter option of attacking than engaging in a stand up, shoot em up fight.

I looked at the battles when the game came out. My input would be to add in some variants of the scenarios if they are not out already in an update.

Can anyone tell me if there is an artwork mod for the counters?

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:14 pm 

It's a bit of a blend between Nap and EAW. I think that players use more assault than in EAW, though not up to NAP levels (especially with the much less potent cav). Fire to disrupt is certainly a thing though.

For lots of the scenarios, I do have multiple versions, though not all of them.

Austrian Army

Scenario Designer:
JTS Midway
JTS Seven Years War

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:36 am 

Ok - my fault for not updating my game since I installed it. Nice, larger, selection of scenarios now.

:frenchsalute: :thumbsup:

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)