Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: G'day messieurs
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:19 am 

Une beer garson silver plait!

Sorry what did you ask, how did I get here? Well it's a bit of a story.

Despite having no money of my own, and no job, my ungratefull parents kicked me out of our London home on my 30th birthday!

Not long after, I was chatting with a nice recruiting sergeant I met at the pub and he mentioned oversees postings. As luck would have it, earlier that day I'd made some poor choices in the fifth at Ascot. Given that some of the larger associates of my bookie might soon be looking for me, I thought enlisting in the British armed forces might not be a bad idea.

Little did I realise oversees didn't just mean Ireland. Instead I got sent to the opposite side of the world, without appeal, as part of the garrison for some colony in some place called New South Wales, just like one of the damn convicts I had to guard.

That said, when I got there, and despite the hardships, I fell in love with it. In fact I feel like it's more home to me than anywhere else.

Bad luck came my way again when I was flogged for supposed insubordination to some pimply faced son of a peer who couldn't lead water downhill. I swear I'm innocent, even if he did deserve it.

Not long after, I was drinking with some sailors from a French ship passing by on its way home to Europe, and was captivated by their talk of liberty, equality, and fraternity. Well that, and their descriptions of the mademoiselles, something that's in fairly short supply in this new colony.

So I stowed away, sailed to France, and offered my military services to the National Assembly. I don't know if my English was poorly interpreted, or perhaps I overstated my abilities and experience somewhat, but I now find myself as a recently commissioned officer and ordered to some french village called Varmy, or Vemy, or Valmy or something.

I was told this tavern is where all the officers meet, so I just popped in for a quick pint or three, and to introduce myself around before heading off to do battle against someone or other. Don't know his name yet.

Une other beer garson.

Cheers :frenchdrunk:

Hello to you all. I'm genuinely excited to be here.

Ok the real story, I am Australian, and been playing wargames since a cousin introduced me to them as a kid in the mid 1970's. I cut my teeth on Wargames Research Group Napoleonic miniature rules.

I come form a regional city where opponents were limited. We did have a wargames club in town through the mid 80's, and played miniatures and boardgames from most eras. Eventually, the club folded, and I've not played a live opponent since.

I regularly play a variety of computer games, grand strategy for preference, but always against the AI. I play several hours almost every day.

A couple weeks ago, something caught my eye on YouTube about face to face wargaming and resparked my interest in playing a decent Napoleonic battle again, though preferably not just another version of Austerlitz or Waterloo. A computer search took me to the JTS website.

Being familiar with most of the battles in the other titles, and previously wanting to know more about the revolutionary wars I thought I'd start with Republican Bayonets. Currently, I'm hoping to work my way through the JTS series chronologically, though not necessarily every battle in every title.

I'm really enjoying the game, but have quickly found I want more challenge than the AI can provide.

I'd seen the links to several online wargames clubs on the JTS website, thought it was time I finally bit the bullet and tried PBEM gaming, so here I am, reporting for duty. :frenchsalute:

4ème Corps d'Armée
La Grande Armée

-------------------------------------------------------
"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel"
Blackadder

Post subject: Re: G'day messieurs
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:19 pm 

Welcome aboard, Sous-lieutenant Webster. :frenchcharge: :frenchvive:

Réserve de Cavalerie, La Grande Armée

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:31 am 

Welcome indeed!

I recall my first expedition into PBEM some 20 years ago when I was - well, 20 years younger. Having played the AI I was convinced I was a military genius. My first opponent was mercifully Marshall Corbin who was marginally worse than me. Then I met this Russian guy......

Anyway good to have you on board. Work on the basis the games are great if you win, or it's bad scenario design and your opponent is cheating, if you don't. Then you will always be happy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:51 am 

Welcome Sous-Lieutenant Webster,

It is always a pleasure to greet a new recruit. I am happy that you have chosen the forces of His Imperial Majesty and not the Dark Side.

:frenchsalute:

1er Corps d'Armée

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:00 pm 

I love to see new, enthusiastic players joining the NWC. Good luck to you and remember, your commanders are there to help you enjoy the club as much as possible.

Your opponents are here to see that you dont! ;)

:frenchlol:

Honestly, enjoy and the guys here can help you make the most of your time in the club.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:19 pm 

:frenchvive1: Welcome!!!

President, Colonial Campaigns Club

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:49 pm 

Napoleon at Lodi by Keith Rocco

Bienvenue Sous-Lieutenant Webster! :frenchhappy:

A fantastic introduction and glad you're excited to be a part of the club! That's great you've found interest in live gaming again. A lot of folks played miniatures and board games prior to moving into the computer versions. In fact a former LGA officer had a similar experience to yours.

Either way glad you found your way to us! Hopefully you'll enjoy your time in the club! :thumbsup: :frenchcharge:

(Back in character as the Chief of Staff of the Allied Coalition):

Now my good Sous-Lieutenant, I do have to inform you, due to your dereliction of duty in the King's Service, abandonment of post and cavorting with the enemy barn fowl...er...um....mademoiselles I mean.....a bounty has been placed on you for your capture and imprisonment to Norfolk Island! 8)

Until the we will play "Marche du Sacre de Napoleon" in your honor - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlW0EUCDMEc

Allied Coalition Webmaster & Club Website Support