American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:17 am 

You are close to becoming one of the AotM family - they will run you out of the union for that

Brigade Commander
Alabama State Volunteers
Cleburne's Division
Hardee's Corps
(1/1/1)
Army of Tennessee

Confederate States of America

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:18 am 
General Strickler,
Blake,

Wal-Mart greeter's are welcome here in Nebraska if you ever decide you've had enough of Pennsylvania! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:20 am 
General McOmish,
Cam,

It wouldn't be the first time that's happened! :shock:

I heard the Cabinet was discussing the idea of a new group within the Club called Marauders for unaligned outfits like Quantrill's Raiders... so neither the Union nor the Confederacy would have to claim responsibility for me! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:01 am 
Olinsky wrote:
General Strickler,
Blake,

Wal-Mart greeter's are welcome here in Nebraska if you ever decide you've had enough of Pennsylvania! 8)

Man I need to update my info!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:26 pm 

Gentlemen <salute>

So we've gone from "Surrender or Die!" to Walmart greeters in Nebraska? Let's not allow ourselves to forget that the Army of the Shenandoah has stated we are their next challenge, and it could be said that "Hancocks Division" is the opening of their campaign. There can be little doubt that Colonel Olinsky's forming of his "elite" division was with engaging Gator Alley in mind. All we'll say is be careful what you wish for, you now have it.

I will submit to General Garner my recommendations for whatever contest comes with General Ringbloom's army, however it won't be an affair where each pairing picks a scenario. That leads to unbalanced battles where one side has the advantage over the other; it will be that everyone plays the same scenario reviewed and approved by each command.

I'm not the Army Commander or the Chief of Staff, however as the former commander of one of the most active and successful divisions in the Army of the Mississippi I believe I do have some influence. I now have an entire corps to work with; who knows what possibilites lie ahead? You Yanks should be worried.

CSA Cabinet Secretary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:21 pm 
Major General Hebert,
Neal,

You are so right, Sir... I was distracted by the cunning tactics of General Strickler. He very much seems to be wanting to avoid the subject of the crushing defeat that is about to come at the hands the the Army of the Shenandoah! :wink:

As for Hancock's Division forming with the Gator Alley Division in mind... why certainly!!! Every good Commander is on the lookout for easy prey... and why not get a two for one deal... squash the rebounding AotM before they can get up off the ground and crush the petite... errr... I mean elite Gator Alley Division while they are engaging in a change of leadership!

On a more serious note... perhaps we should start the negotiations on that scenario you are talking about using for the AotM versus AotS contest? It usually takes quite a bit of time to develop these things.

Neal... have you landed a new job yet? Do you think you might be able to spend that big money on a game other than Gettysburg?

Just so you Rebs all know... I enjoy ribbing you and almost everything I say is absolutely (NOT?) serious!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:51 am 
Olinsky wrote:

Just so you Rebs all know... I enjoy ribbing you and almost everything I say is absolutely (NOT?) serious!

I know it. And I think Neal knows it.

But McKayla and Nicodemus are not amused.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:50 am 
And those are two individuals who you really don't want displeased at you! :shock:

I shall have to attempt to mend my ways! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:58 pm 

Colonel Olinsky <salute>

Suh, my compliments! Actually, you're among my favorite Yankees and do pray that everything from my tent rolls off your back as smoothly as Yankee pack horses roll down Nicodemus' throat :wink: By the way, you were targetting Gator Alley long before there was any knowledge of my moving up to corps command, even to me.

If you're looking to gain some advantage because General Reneau has taken command, you're mistaken as he's one of the original gators. All they've lost is a mediocre cavalry commander :roll: As for McKayla, looks like maybe some Yank officer stood her up for her prom. They have no shame.

On the scenario, I was actually thinking of reworking (and have been in fits and starts for about 2 years) the opening scenario from the "High Tide" tournament where a large number of us Confederate officers had a very hard time advancing to the 2nd round. The adaptation of the Talonsoft scenario didn't include the "fixed" units, allowing the Yanks to employ their entire force from practically the start.

I still have the spreadsheets used to track the tournament, with the following results (does not include byes, and the side advanced denotes the army played, not that which the officer was assigned):

Cemetery Ridge Bracket (all optional rules except MDF)
Yanks: 7 advanced
Confederates: 7 advanced

Culp's Hill Bracket (all optional rules)
Yanks: 7 advanced
Confederates: 1 advanced

Round Top Bracket (all optional rules except MDF and Optional Melee Resolution)
Yanks: 9 advanced
Confederates: 4 advanced

All of the above were based on the "Wheatfield to Roundtop" scenario from Talonsoft, which by the DoR at the time showed it to be evenly matched based on the results available. By my recollection, a large number of Confederate advances were based on achieving a higher draw total with not much in the way of victories of any level achieved. A search of the MDT archives may even find a post by General Simms that he may have overlooked the impact of not having the "fixed" units, however don't quote me on this as I'd need to look back.

Do not take this to discount the effort taken by General Simms in putting the tournament together. Few of us have the time or the drive to put something like this together, and it was a very well organized and run affair! I can't recall if he was decorated for the event, but if not surely deserved it.

In closing, that is what I would recommend to General Garner for our upcoming "surrender or die" encounter. Whether or not it is acceptable to him or General Ringbloom remains to be seen.

I'll quote another gator (General David Peek) when I say "Be sweet" :wink:

CSA Cabinet Secretary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:00 pm 

Both those critters look mean as :shock:

Brigade Commander
Alabama State Volunteers
Cleburne's Division
Hardee's Corps
(1/1/1)
Army of Tennessee

Confederate States of America

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:39 pm 

General McOmish <salute>

Suh, my compliments!

We have every confidence you could put a smile on her face.

Highest regards,

CSA Cabinet Secretary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:53 pm 

General Hebert, you're close in your assessment of the BG Wheatfield to Roundtop conversion to HPS. When it was originally converted, all of the units were fixed as they were in the BG scenario but then came the HPS updates that unfixed any unit within 5 hexes and many of the Reb units started the scenario that close to the Union units. As a result a proven balanced scenario became unbalanced. To add to that, I would like to point out that a scenario can be balanced using one set of options and unbalanced with another set of options. Additionally, the term 'balanced' means something different to all of us. In the BG days we could agree upon what was 'balanced' or not by looking at the won/lost record for the scenario after it had been played a bunch of times but it doesn't work that way with the HPS scenarios because we don't have that good of a record of them and what we do have includes various options all lumped into one. HPS offering so many options has been glorious in some aspects, and hellacious in others.

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:36 am 
The eternal search for a "balanced" scenario. Its like the Holy Grail of the Club.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:56 am 
Indeed it is! I conclude that no such thing exists... yet that does not deter anyone from continuing to look for it! :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:47 am 

General Simms <salute>

Suh, thank you for joining the conversation and explaining the problem with the "fixed" units in the scenario. Perhaps a modification of the file that unfixes units at a shorter distance (4?) As I recall there were too many Yanks at the front, and even if we'd managed to kill them all the pile of bodies would have been too large to cross anyhow :roll:

CSA Cabinet Secretary

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next