American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:22 am 

i was considering the case of the Yankee officer who is undefeated. i thought i saw recently where he accepted an invite to battle and he asked that the battle be a balanced/meeting engagement.
so i guess he will not play battles where it would be a disadvantage for him.
that made me wonder if there is a list somewhere of what battles/scenarios are balanced or to which side it favors?
any one know about that?

Confederate States of America

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:40 pm 

We had such a list with the BG games ( http://garyned.tripod.com/Scenarios.htm ) that once a battle had been fought a number of times (maybe 20 times), the results were fairly accurate as to whether or not they favored one side or the other.

A good shot at accomplishing what you are after in the HPS/JTS games is available at the Game Scenario Report in the ACWGC Auto System (ACWGC Department of Records). The HPS/JTS games are a different animal however. They are almost impossible to track for balance due to:

1 - The options selected can have a lot to do with the outcome and there is no record of what options were used (and who would want to list them or track them even if they were recordable).
2 - Many members have no idea which scenario they are actually fighting during a campaign and thus just register campaign games as Other or even inaccurately as standalone scenarios.
3 - There are so many scenarios available within the HPS/JTS series that it is almost overwhelming.

Also keep in mind that balance is subjective unless you have a finite measure. The way us humans usually think is that a scenario is considered balanced if you won with minimal difficulty; it is slightly in favor of the enemy if you won but had a little bit of a hard time doing it which you overcame due to superior play; it is unbalanced if you won ridiculously easily or lost.

VMI Class of '00

Profile Send private message