American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ken Miller's House Rules
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:19 pm 

I lean more to the simulation side of wargaming. My choice of Optional Rules reflect this.
As to House Rules other than the Club Rules I only have these two and provide my explanations for their use.

No infantry column attacks except at bridges/fords or from the first hex after crossing.

There simply were almost no examples of infantry column attacks in the ACW in any other situations. In the game this is the only way to melee across a bridge.
I also allow it if your opponents sets up one hex back so they can't set up a line one hex back from the bridge forcing you to sit there in column while they get 2 turns of fire against your unit.
This allows you to cross the bridge and form line before advancing further when playing in Turn Mode. If you attempt to continue past the first hex that's your problem, no melee. For Phase Mode you will still have a problem unless you have Cavalry to lead the crossing since Infantry can only change formation at the start of their move.
As to those who point to the late war union tactics, these were not columns as such but rather were a column of Regiments one behind the other to give depth to an attack which you can do unless you stack both hexes to the max.
Similar to Napoleonic Columns which were actually a column of Companies deployed in line, normally two companies wide, not a route column.

During night turns no advance beyond your forward positions. You may move around behind your lines, if you have an outpost on a road you can move along the road until you reach your outposts.

Again any movement conducted during night involved movement behind friendly lines. Examples include Jackson's predawn march at Chancellorsville, VI Corps night march to Gettysburg, Grant's movement south after the Wilderness. All of these movements took place over roads behind friendly lines.

The McKeesport Union Guard

3/1/II
AotP

Profile Send private message