American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Salute to Ned Simms
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:35 pm 

After 210 turns, I offered Ned (playing R.E. Lee) a victory in our "On to the James" scenario (alt with Early's Corps remaining with the ANV) from Campaign Overland. This expansive scenario begins with the armies entrenched at Cold Harbor the night before Grant issues orders for the AoP to move to the James river.

Playing as Grant, I sent 3 Corps south of the Chickahominy to threaten Richmond from the east and 2 Corps north to attack the southern capital from that direction. After losing most of the Union cavalry on the Peninsula in a series of small actions, the two Union Corps successfully assaulted Richmond from the north. However, the Confederates actually abandoned the Capital after only a short struggle and used the time to concentrate on Butler at Bermuda Hundred. Eventually Butler was overwhelmed and destroyed in detail, in part because Grant was unable to send reinforcements across the James River due to a flotilla of Confederate ironclads and gunboats below Trent's Reach. By the time any Union forces arrived, Butler was history.

The defeat at Bermuda Hundred also prevented Grant from sending more than a cavalry raid in the direction of Petersburg. Although the cavalry occupied the city for a time, the Confederates ousted the Union horsemen and eventually brought all of the forces south with the Union troops following at a distance. Eventually, Grant attacked with two Corps from the north and 3 Corps from the east. The Union gained the north bank of the Appomattox after significant losses. But the attacks from the east against the entrenched Confederates and their forts proved extremely costly and time consuming. Even though my Yankees were able to capture and occupy the outer defenses, the rebels had time to build an strong inner line of works that boasted ample guns and lots of rifles. In contrast, the attacking Union forces east and south of the river were much reduced and fatigued and were unable to secure more than a few feet of trench in the inner line.

By this time (evening of June 17th) Grant conceded that there was little chance of seizing Petersburg without reinforcements or pontoons. Even if my Union troops captured the city, the losses on the Union side were so great (over 45,000) that the best possible outcome was only a draw -- which meant that the whole affair resulted in a siege with advantage to Ned's Confederates.

Congratulations to Ned who devised a winning strategy and employed excellent tactics. I thoroughly enjoyed the game and Ned as a player. Salute!

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Salute to Ned Simms
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:27 pm 

It was a hard fought game. This is a scenario that should be a lot of fun for members of the club. If you are the type to charge 'em from the opening bell, you probably won't play this scenario much regardless of which side you choose (would be like Grant at Cold Harbor); but if you like to use strategy, surprise, flanking movements, finding flanking shots, and deception, you'll be in heaven. This scenario will test you. I appreciate the effort that Ken, and John, and the other developers put into making such great scenarios for us to play. Ken was an excellent and enjoyable opponent.

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:51 pm 

Location: Mukilteo, Washington, USA - 25 miles north of Seattle
Gentlemen, Sirs! <salute>

Thank you guys for sharing your monster fight with us, it was especially joyful in that there were
two Yanks going at it! :mrgreen:

I am wondering just how long you guys were gaming this scenario, when did you start?

I would also be curious to know what are to the longest (turn wise) games that have been played in this Club? Is there a way to find this out from the DoR?

Respectfully,

Your Obedient Servant,

General Nick Kunz
Chief of Staff,
Army of Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:58 am 

We started the game Nov 10th.

Not going to swear by the following but there are several registered games that were longer than this one:

1 - 511 turns - Chicky - A Campaign Game (Mihalik-Ross)
2 - 407 turns - Penin - Seven Days Campaign (Tremel-Noftz)
2 - 407 turns - Penin - Seven Days Campaign (Fulwell-Noftz)
4 - 381 turns - Penin - Seven Days Campaign (Miller-Simondson)
5 - 303 turns - Overland - Overland Campaign (Simms-Dragan)
6 - 300 turns - Penin - Seven Days Campaign (Fulwell-Noftz)
7 - 272 turns - Getty - Armageddon on the Potomac III (Fulwell-Noftz)
8 - 262 turns - Getty - Marengo in the Heartland I (Fulwell-Kiley)
9 - 250 turns - Getty - Trouble on the Way North (Tarr-O'Neill)
10 - 248 turns - Overland - Overland Campaign (Dragan-Dowling)
11 - 241 turns - Overland - Overland Campaign (Holt-Rossbach)
12 - 240 turns - Getty - From the Four Corners (Moore-Korotko)
13 - 238 turns - Getty - A Campaign Game (Blackburn-Ayers)
14 - 234 turns - Penin - Seven Days Campaign (Smith-Mouledous)
15 - 220 turns - Chicky - Chicky Meeting Engagement /130 (Tarr-O'Neill)
16 - 216 turns - Overland - Overland Campaign (Mihalik-Ross)
16 - 216 turns - Getty - On a Collision Course I (Noftz-Noftz)
16 - 216 turns - Getty - Offensive Preparation Interruption III (Noftz-Metcalf)
19 - 213 turns - Getty - Meeting Engagement III (Fulwell-Noftz)
19 - 213 turns - Getty - Massed Along the Pike II (Gallup-Mishurda)

and then this game would be the 21st longest

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:05 pm 

I should add that I am editing the scenario based on observations that Ned and I made during our game. In the very near future, I plan to have an updated scenario file and an updated map file. If interested in playing the revised version, send me a message.

K

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:18 pm 

Location: Mukilteo, Washington, USA - 25 miles north of Seattle
General Jones, Sir! <salute>

Ken, thanks for that! I see there are a number of gamers who are no longer with us. I lost track of Ron Fulwell almost 2 years ago and fear the worst, he always liked big, large and long battlefields with lots of troops!

Respectfully,

Your Obedient Servant,

General Nick Kunz
Chief of Staff,
Army of Northern Virginia