American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:36 pm 

How does one increase the brigade strength? I assume this is done throught the OOB word or OOB notepad file. I change the brigade sizes in these files but can't get it recognized when designing the scenario. I'm using Chanellorsville with the early Cornith Engine. Any direction would be appreciated.

Colonel R.E.Daley
1st Corps of the ANV
3rd Calvary Divsion,
3rd Brigade
"We are the Midnight Riders"

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:59 pm 

If you are attempting to open a scenario in a Corinth folder that has been patched beyond 1.01 it will not work. Beginning with 1.02 the oobs have been locked. If you are using Ver 1.01 then to increase the regimental strengths you have to modify the OOB.

The best way to do this is to open the OOB with a text editor. You can use Word but when you save it you must tell word to save it as a plain .txt file and name it .oob as the game engine will not recognize a .doc or a .txt file. What I usually do is open the oob file then immediately do a Save As and when my text editor brings up the current name of the file xxxxx.oob I change the name to yyyy.oob Just be careful you don't overwrite any of the original game files or it could cause problems with your pbem games.

Once you've done that then you'll see something like this.

B 1st Brigade(Phelps)
Begin
L 2 3 350 Col. W.Phelps
U 341 4 I R 7 5 22nd New York

You need to change the 341 in the line to increase the maximum strength of the 22nd New York regiment. The editor will allow you to reduce the unit's strength but it cannot be increased beyond this number. Once you have your modified OOB you can create a new scn file using the editor. Open the editor and choose New. The editor will prompt you for a .map .oob and .pdt file. Once your scenario is complete if you have not used the stock files you will need to send your opponent a copy of the .map, .oob and .pdt files in order for him to be able to open the game files.

Hope this is what you were looking for. If you need more info feel free to drop me a line and I'll send you some files I have that may be of assistance.

Gen. Ken Miller

Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:01 am 

Ken,

I reread this, are you saying that you cannot increase the strength more than what the orginal file has stated. Meaning I cannot increase strength above 341?

Colonel R.E.Daley
1st Corps of the ANV
3rd Calvary Divsion,
3rd Brigade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:32 pm 

You cannot increase the strength of a unit with the editor beyond that in the OOB. However once you modify an OOB you need to rename it so you don't cause problems with scenarios that are using that OOB. You can then start a new scenario with the editor and choose your new OOB and begin to build your scenario. Or provided you have not added or deleted any lines in the OOB you can open the scenario with the editor, save it under a new name then change the name of the OOB it references.

As an example lets say you want to modify the Chancellorsville OOB and redo a scenario with that OOB. You open the Chancellorsville bn level.OOB file with a text editor and save it as Chancellorsville bn level2.OOB then make whatever changes to the unit strengths you want. Now let's say you want to redo Chancellorsville #1.scn with your new OOB. As long as you didn't add or delete any lines in the OOB file you can then open the scenario with the editor and do a Save As and save it as Chancellorsville #1a.scn. Now you open the Chancellorsville #1a.scn file with a text editor and you'll see something like this.

Chancellorsville Bn Level Longstreet #1
1863 4 29 18 40 1 0 1 290
10 15 20
10 15 20
-2500 -1500 1500 2500
2 2 0 0 4292
6000 4000
Fredericksburg.map
<font color="red">Chancellorsville bn level.OOB</font id="red">
Chancellorsville bn level.pdt
0 0 0 0 0 0

If you change line in red to read

<font color="red">Chancellorsville bn level2.OOB</font id="red">

when you open the .scn file with the editor it will load your modified OOB for the scenario. You can now increase the strength of any units you changed in the OOB using the editor in addition to making changes to the set up or reinforcement schedules. Just remember if you want to play this pbem you will need to send your opponent the modified .OOB and .scn files.

Hope I've cleared things up a little. If you are still ahving trouble loading modified OOB's send em the file and I'll take a look at it.

Gen. Ken Miller

Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:20 pm 

Got it Ken.....

My mistake was that I was saving the OOB as a text file. I resolved this by using notepad to make the changes and saving as "All files" which retained the OOB file.....

Thanks for your help Ken and may we meet at one of our "See Ya's"....

Colonel R.E.Daley
1st Corps of the ANV
3rd Calvary Divsion,
3rd Brigade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:18 am 

Col Daley,

I figured it had to be something with the way you were saving the oob file. Just remember as long as you don't add or delete lines in the OOB you can change the oob reference in the scn file and it will allow you to load the old scenario and modify it rather than having to start from scratch. If you move any units around in the file or add or delete lines it messes up the unit listing in the scn file and it won't load and you have to create your scenario from scratch.

Notso,

I haven't ruled out making the See you at Antietam, it will depend on the final date for it and whether the wife decides she wants to do something else with my other weeks vacation since we're using part of my first week for TC II.

Ken

Gen. Ken Miller

Army of the Shenandoah