American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:35 am 

If this is not the proper place for this post ,my apologies.

I am currently trying to do some genealogical research, as I have at minimum one direct ancestor (my GG Grandfather) who wore the gray during the War (my GGG Grandfather may have as well, but there's a bit of confusion as to his true identity). I'm curious if anyone knows of anywhere I can find transcribed CSA service records - are they only available through the National Archives (which is what I think), or is there somewhere such as MyHeritage or Ancestry that has managed to procure access to these collections?

My GG Grandfather was a private in the 18th Alabama Infantry, in the Sharpshooters. He MAY have transferred into the 2nd Georgia Sharpshooters, but I'm not sure..what I can find seems to indicate that both of those units were under the same command in the AoT. I know he was discharged before the end of the War and was at home when the surrenders occurred. Trying to see if I can snag his service record somehow so I can look at which battles he fought in - Shiloh, Chickamauga, Atlanta, Chattanooga, etc.

Regards,

18th Alabama Infantry
Sharpshooters

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:29 am 

If you have a look at this thread (https://civilwartalk.com/threads/resources-for-civil-war-research.192186/) you will find a lot of possibilities, some free some not. I've seen some of the members there get some very detailed information from Fold3 (https://www.fold3.com/) including enlistment records, discharge papers and more. [Fold3 is not a free one but I saw when I copied the link to post here that they have a free seven day trial which may be sufficient for your needs.]

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:56 am 

https://www.nps.gov/civilwar/soldiers-a ... tabase.htm

Might be of some use.

Stewart's Corps
Army of Tennessee
Confederate Army

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:02 pm 

Thanks guys. I'll have to give that a look-see and see if any of the "trial period" sites let me get enough information (sometimes I think they limit what you can view with a free trial, but if it's not exorbitant to sign up for a little while, maybe I can swing it).

Dale, that site you referenced is one I found yesterday, that's where I got the 2nd Ga Sharpshooters question. The database says that the 2nd Ga Sharpshooters and the 18th Alabama were under the same commanders, fought in the same battles (at least early on), etc. But I'm not sure if the 2nd Ga was actually the sharpshooters and the 18th AL was just an "infantry regiment" that the 2nd Ga was part of (perhaps)? I know there were some instances where regiments were absorbed by others as they lost men and were ineffective on their own, but not sure if that happened here. The census of Confederate soldiers that was taken in 1907 says my GGGF' enlisted in the 18th AL' and 'was a sharpshooter for a long time'.

As he was discharged before the end of the war, I know there's a chance he didn't fight in ALL of the battles the 18th AL / 2nd GA participated in.

Does any of you know, do the service records list the reason for discharge??

I'm looking up the two units today, we'll see what comes of that search...

Man, I wish there had been some old letters saved by the family down through the years...sure would have liked to see if he wrote anything about WHY he signed up (as our immediate family line never owned slaves). Don't know if he was a "substitute" and went because he got paid, went voluntarily because he was of the "my state first, then my country" mindset, or what...

18th Alabama Infantry
Sharpshooters

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:26 pm 

Do you know your relative's name that was in the 2nd Georgia Sharpshooters?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:15 pm 

DBMcWaters wrote:
As he was discharged before the end of the war, I know there's a chance he didn't fight in ALL of the battles the 18th AL / 2nd GA participated in.

Does any of you know, do the service records list the reason for discharge??

They often do list the reason but not always.
An example of a Union discharge can be viewed here (https://civilwartalk.com/threads/what-happened-after-discharge.157568/#post-2046687).
A Confederate example (no reason given) can be viewed here (https://civilwartalk.com/threads/the-rest-of-the-story.118833/#post-1220936). Here at Post #2 (https://civilwartalk.com/threads/possible-ancestor.141953/#post-1727339) is another Confederate one with the attachment link including a lot of papers that show: he was listed as missing in action at Payne's Farm; later found to have been captured; and late the following year returned south during a prisoner exchange.

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:14 pm 

Scott, thanks for the PM - that's definitely him (at least, from what I can figure. The enlistment details almost match up, as does the transfer note that he was originally in the 18th AL). The assistance is much appreciated!!

All who pointed me to some sites, I appreciate the assistance. Now the fun part begins - figuring out HIS father (as my GGG GF's info is REALLY sketchy...).

18th Alabama Infantry
Sharpshooters

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:15 am 

No problem David! Glad it was him. :) I'll see if there's any further useful info on Fold3.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:00 pm 

Roger that. Man, he was one lucky boy. Survived in a unit that was decimated by war's end. Discharged in 1864 due to illness. Fought at Shiloh, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge (Chattanooga campaign), possibly around Atlanta, and possibly (thought I doubt this was early enough) the NC campaign.

18th Alabama Infantry
Sharpshooters