American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:53 pm 

Lt. Daley,

You raise a question that entered my mind as I built the scenario table for the new site and saw all of those custom scenarios. How many of these custom scenarios are really not "good" scenarios? I could write a 30 turn scenario that pitted the entire ANV against one regiment of the Black Hat brigade on a 30 x 30 map with the Black Hats disrupted and surrounded. Would that be a fair scenario? (Or should the Rebels have more troops to have a chance?) [:D]

The point being, if I and someone else play that scenario is it acceptable to the club?

First, I don't think anyone is going to intentioanlly write scenarios that far out of balance. (I understand there are some like that in the TS and HPS games anyway[:0]) The bottom line is that points are awarded for playing the games. No matter what the scenario is, the game has been counted in the past.

How does the club screen something like this? Is it something that could be done? Is it something we would even want to bother with? We depend on the honesty and integrity of the membership to have fair and honorable dealings with the club. I would say that all of the scenario writers, yourself included, have set out to make a particular scenario a little more enjoyable or fix some things that were out of kilter with a previous version. Or maybe to do a scenario of some battle that has not been done before for that particular game engine.

From what you describe about your particular scenario, speaking only for myself, I would see absolutely no problem with it. You may even have to negotiate with your opponent that the victory level will be decided after the game based on the victory points outcome and both of your feelings as to how the scenario played out.

Again, that is just me speaking. You raise a good and valid question.

Lt. Gen. Don Adams
5th Texas "Lone Star" Cavalry Brigade
I/III ANV
http://www.rootsandsaddles.com/index.htm

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:39 am 

I think the rule of thumb has always been if two people agree to play it, then it can count.

We played with the idea of having a Staff position to evealuate all scenarios, but that's a ton of work, and in many cases a scenario must be played to find out if it's really balanced or not...so it's not really practicle to do that.

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA
Signal Corps - Editor in Chief

Profile Send private message